Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Old Jan 24th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Re: Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
This is, fundamentally my problem with "The Apology". It was needed from the perspective that it gave many victims the chance to turn the page and also allow a generation that stood by to reflect. But my problem with it is that many people believed that this was the start of something new for Indigenous Australians. When in fact I have seen no change whatsoever since that momentous day in Aboriginal issues. They are no better off now than they were before that day and therefore I think the Apology was guilty of giving some very false hope to a nation. In a way the Apology was a bit of a gimmick
John Howard used the Apology issue as a wedging tool... was it because some aborigines famously turned their backs on him? So it became an issue in itself as another example where he gave the finger to the electorate (as with the protest marches over WMD) and the marches over the bridges when he refused to march and effectively prevented his minister marching too.

There was dancing in the streets of Bennelong when, with the help of an influx of Chinese migrants, we gave it back to him. The finger that is.

Once that was cleared out of the way, we could get down to business. The trouble is no one (least of all aboriginal leaders) seems to know what "business" is.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:46 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
They are no better off now than they were before that day and therefore I think the Apology was guilty of giving some very false hope to a nation. In a way the Apology was a bit of a gimmick
The root of this issue is that Aboriginals have lived a unique lifestyle for many thousands of years, and it is incompatible with the western lifestyle that we are accustomed to.

"you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"
is the problem that we are faced with. The government can only do its best to offer services and utilities to the aboriginal community, where practical. In fact, the government often provides extremely generous subsidies and benefits to Aboriginals.

The sooner that "westernised" Australians accept that many Aboriginals do not want to work in a 9 to 5 office job in order to pay the mortgage on a 4 x 2 in suburbia, the better. But for those that do - the government must ensure that the opportunities are available for education and employment. Again - this has to be balanced by practicality.

In my opinion, many white people are afraid of Aboriginals, and many Aboriginals are also afraid of whites. We are afraid of one another because we perceive each other to be very different in our habits and ways. We need to fix this by getting to know one another properly. Once again though, this is often impractical because Aboriginals and westerners are usually not next door neighbours.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:47 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
The root of this issue is that Aboriginals have lived a unique lifestyle for many thousands of years, and it is incompatible with the western lifestyle that we are accustomed to.

"you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"
is the problem that we are faced with. The government can only do its best to offer services and utilities to the aboriginal community, where practical. In fact, the government often provides extremely generous subsidies and benefits to Aboriginals.

The sooner that "westernised" Australians accept that many Aboriginals do not want to work in a 9 to 5 office job in order to pay the mortgage on a 4 x 2 in suburbia, the better. But for those that do - the government must ensure that the opportunities are available for education and employment. Again - this has to be balanced by practicality.

In my opinion, many white people are afraid of Aboriginals, and many Aboriginals are also afraid of whites. We are afraid of one another because we perceive each other to be very different in our habits and ways. We need to fix this by getting to know one another properly. One again though, this is often impractical because Aboriginals and westerners are usually not next door neighbours.
How dare you compare Aborigines with horses! Racist!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:14 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
How dare you compare Aborigines with horses! Racist!
When my time comes, I want to go out in style, not just pass away silently in my sleep. Being beaten to death by aborigines, or being stampeded by a herd of angry horses.... either would be a fitting end.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:16 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
When my time comes, I want to go out in style, not just pass away silently in my sleep. Being beaten to death by aborigines, or being stampeded by a herd of angry horses.... either would be a fitting end.
Do you envisage a favourite tune playing in the background?

"Wild Horses" is the obvious choice ...

"Crazy Horses" may have more impact ...

"Hoof Up Side Your Head" for comedy value
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:45 pm
Account Open

Do you envisage a favourite tune playing in the background?

"Wild Horses" is the obvious choice ...

"Crazy Horses" may have more impact ...

"Hoof Up Side Your Head" for comedy value
Any of those would be good. Wild horses is a great tune.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:01 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Sick of everyone calling Australia racist.

Excellent article here. Some great responses to it as well.

Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:22 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Very good
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:34 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Very good
yes, sums up everything in one article I think
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:37 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Same sort of navel gazing stuff that has come to populate this board all the time.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:22 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Same sort of navel gazing stuff that has come to populate this board all the time.
Hey, I like ship-spotting, it's a harmless hobby.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I like ship-spotting, it's a harmless hobby.
Hope its more fun than train spotting? I had a boyfriend that used to do that. Gawd it was booooooooorrrrrrrrrrrring!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:11 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hope its more fun than train spotting? I had a boyfriend that used to do that. Gawd it was booooooooorrrrrrrrrrrring!!!!
Train spotters are the mortal enemy of ship spotters ... weird lot they are ... for one thing their anoraks are just the wrong shade of green and the packed lunches contain way too much fibre.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

The offenders were described as being of Asian appearance.

Police arrested eight men in the CBD several hours later, and they are being questioned over the attack.

A racist attack against Indians,Asians attacking Indians,I am so ashamed to be a Australian and so intolerant of other nations.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:29 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boots
The offenders were described as being of Asian appearance.

Police arrested eight men in the CBD several hours later, and they are being questioned over the attack.

A racist attack against Indians,Asians attacking Indians,I am so ashamed to be a Australian and so intolerant of other nations.
You cant help being an uneducated idiot,it's part of your culture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.