Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Shrimps On The Barbie

Shrimps On The Barbie

Old Dec 12th 2023, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shrimps On The Barbie

What about "bindi-eyes" or "bindies" - do people still use that for burrs? And is the Salvation Army still "Salvos", in the local lingo? I sometimes call my son Ross-o, affectionately; which he counters with Dad-o.
Old Dec 12th 2023, 1:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
What about "bindi-eyes" or "bindies" - do people still use that for burrs? And is the Salvation Army still "Salvos", in the local lingo? I sometimes call my son Ross-o, affectionately; which he counters with Dad-o.
Yep, bindies, Salvos and Vinnies for St Vincent De Paul.
Old Dec 12th 2023, 1:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Over here they are binmen/binwomen, rubbish collectors, refuse collectors etc. The habit of putting " o" or "ie" on the end of names like garbos and firies is 100& Australian (or playgroup) language.
You know how hot it gets here, the smaller words save our energy
Old Dec 16th 2023, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

My Canadian neighbour introduced me to the word "rando", yesterday. She was grumbling about a stranger hanging around in our street in a beat-up car; "rando" was short for "random", as in "random visitor".
Old Dec 24th 2023, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Xmas greetings to all on the thread! Thanks for keeping my slang up to date. Blow me down, good on ya, and I hope youse all get some great Chrissie prezzies tomorrah.
Old Dec 25th 2023, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminu...lian_English#L Aha! I have only just this minute come across... [let me [i]finish, darlin'!}... this Wikipedia entry, which lists a whole bunch of -o endings in the Australian dialect. Excellent! It does miss out a few, but not many. One of the favourites in our house was "bimbye", a word used by little Australian children when attacked by an insect of some sort. "Marm! I been bimbye a 'pider". Linda and I always referred to an offending insect as a bimbye.

I was actually looking in Wikipedia for the name Afferbeck Lauder, a writer in the 1960s who published the classic book "Let Stalk Strine" - Strine being the way a great many Australians pronounced "Australian" - at the time, and still do. The author's pseudonym itself was an example of Strine. Any smart immigrant should be able to figure that out!
Old Dec 26th 2023, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I would have heard it around that time in North Wales, maybe a little earlier. North Wales / Anglesey has ferry links to Northern Ireland so could have travelled in either direction.
Sorry, only just saw your reply, old sparkles. I love that idea! Ferries before Facebook. Very plausible. I travelled on the ferries a few times as a teen to visit family in England. I definitely recall the seasickness if not the slang.
Old Dec 26th 2023, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Firies is my favourite diminutive. Also like bushies (bush flies) but only the word, not the actual pest.
Old Dec 26th 2023, 9:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Sorry, only just saw your reply, old sparkles. I love that idea! Ferries before Facebook. Very plausible. I travelled on the ferries a few times as a teen to visit family in England. I definitely recall the seasickness if not the slang.
That's okay - I never visited Ireland, but my mum and Aunty did quite a few times.
Old Dec 26th 2023, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
That's okay - I never visited Ireland, but my mum and Aunty did quite a few times.
I haven’t been back for 7.5 years. I’ll probably need an interpreter when I finally visit, I’m sure the slang has well and truly moved on
Old Dec 31st 2023, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some of the Australian papers seem to use "grub" a lot, for people who are sloppy or messy or nasty. In my early days in Oz, that word was used only for little children who got messy the way kids do. I wonder how the change came to be made, and why.
Old Jan 1st 2024, 4:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Happy New Year 2024 to you Gordon.
I so hope you were or will be able to see your son and also that you spent a little bit of convivial time.
Old Jan 1st 2024, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Some of the Australian papers seem to use "grub" a lot, for people who are sloppy or messy or nasty. In my early days in Oz, that word was used only for little children who got messy the way kids do. I wonder how the change came to be made, and why.
I thought grubby always had that secondary meaning of distasteful or sordid. Easy to see the tabloidisation (!) of grub as someone of unsavoury character. It’s a word my FIL (in his late 70s) uses regularly. Usually about pollies!
Old Jan 4th 2024, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here's another slang puzzle for the barbie crowd. I once or twice heard my Dad, a lapsed Catholic, refer to an RC friend of his as a "left-footer". And I have a faint recollection of that term being used in a Northern Ireland context. Can anybody tell me its origin? Please.
Old Jan 5th 2024, 5:49 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another slang puzzle for the barbie crowd. I once or twice heard my Dad, a lapsed Catholic, refer to an RC friend of his as a "left-footer". And I have a faint recollection of that term being used in a Northern Ireland context. Can anybody tell me its origin? Please.
https://www.theguardian.com/notesand...%20first%20war.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.