Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Shrimps On The Barbie

Shrimps On The Barbie

Old Feb 23rd 2023, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Shrimps On The Barbie

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
This thread isn't about turning points though

Unless you are suggesting posters 'migrate' to the Canada section?

Could always merge all into a lounge thread, and make them global?
No, Sparkles. Many, many posts drift away from their titles, from time to time, and of course we can't make members stick to the appropriate titles! All I was suggesting is that visitors to this Barbie site might like to check out the other thread, which happens to be in the Maple Leaf site. I can't post the same words on different threads because that would break one of BE's rules, as I understand them.

As for starting a thread in The Lounge... no. As I explained once to BEVS or maybe it was Jerseygirl, there are too many "nasties" around in the General forums - a lot of cussing and rudeness that I don't feel comfortable with. My "Turning Points" (Maple Leaf) and this "Shrimps on the Barbie" are not only different in topics-of-record but also aimed at different audiences most of the time - one lot in Canada, the other in Oz. I tried to build up the Barbie forum, and had some modest success there; but it is still being out-done by its sister-site. I could give it up, but I'd rather not.
Old Feb 23rd 2023, 4:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
No, Sparkles. Many, many posts drift away from their titles, from time to time, and of course we can't make members stick to the appropriate titles! All I was suggesting is that visitors to this Barbie site might like to check out the other thread, which happens to be in the Maple Leaf site. I can't post the same words on different threads because that would break one of BE's rules, as I understand them.

As for starting a thread in The Lounge... no. As I explained once to BEVS or maybe it was Jerseygirl, there are too many "nasties" around in the General forums - a lot of cussing and rudeness that I don't feel comfortable with. My "Turning Points" (Maple Leaf) and this "Shrimps on the Barbie" are not only different in topics-of-record but also aimed at different audiences most of the time - one lot in Canada, the other in Oz. I tried to build up the Barbie forum, and had some modest success there; but it is still being out-done by its sister-site. I could give it up, but I'd rather not.
Its not a competition.
If you want replies, post in a forum better populated - such as the Canadian forum or the Lounge. Trying to build up the Aus forum is pretty much a waste of time these days, the audience just isn't there.
Old Feb 23rd 2023, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its not a competition.
If you want replies, post in a forum better populated - such as the Canadian forum or the Lounge. Trying to build up the Aus forum is pretty much a waste of time these days, the audience just isn't there.

Exactly.

Yes it was me Gordon. I offered to move them into The Lounge a while ago. What some do not seem to recognize, is that certain BE forums go quiet from time to time. I remember when TIO and The Lounge were dead in the water for a long, long time…then they picked up. Opening a thread in a quiet but ‘safe’ forum does not result in an active/interesting thread…no mattter how many views it gets. Another downside is long posts. Best to keep them relatively short and sweet to keep the attention span.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 23rd 2023 at 9:50 pm. Reason: .
Old Feb 25th 2023, 1:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As for starting a thread in The Lounge... no. As I explained once to BEVS or maybe it was Jerseygirl, there are too many "nasties" around in the General forums - a lot of cussing and rudeness that I don't feel comfortable with. .
Yes. We did have a chat about this . The Lounge and certainly the TIO is not everyone's cup of tea. However several of those now posting to those areas ( which includes myself) , where they didn't really bother or would have avoided before, are there because other areas of BE are dead for whatever reason. Canada Maple Leaf was a last vestige .

So those that like to online chat with others , in a conversational forum format , do drift towards the BE Lounge as the only place where there may be a few posters knocking around. Of course many others have simply chosen not to bother anymore, preferring other venues .
Old Feb 25th 2023, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its not a competition.
They’re mostly in that other forum that we can’t mention.
Old Mar 6th 2023, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Hey expats!!

first time on here in way over a year. This was the first thread I was drawn to.
I thought I’d add my few cents…

I think Covid has massively impacted immigration. I mean for example, my PR visa application was submitted on Jan 1st 2021…. It is still being processed (although it’s finally being assessed so shouldn’t be too long).

I used to be a frequent user here. I guess sometimes you get carried away in life.

hope everyone is all good. I feel as though I need to read a few threads to catch up haha

wow. Editing to add having read the first six pages of this thread properly now. I’ll finish tomorrow but it’s gone 10pm and I’m on an early shift tomorrow.

my story of migrating isn’t that exciting mind. I do know that when I was a newly qualified midwife I worked with someone that had worked in Australia for 3 years previous (for experience more than anything, she was British) and I remember being so invested in her stories. I made up my mind very early on into my career that I wanted to move to Australia. Can’t even explain properly why.

I made the goal of getting at least 5 years experience as a midwife first in England and then I’d move to Australia. That’s exactly what I did. Been here just over 4 years now and I’m extremely happy. I wake up grateful every day. I guess the gamble paid off because that could have been a very expensive mistake

Last edited by Clacfart; Mar 6th 2023 at 11:14 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2023, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

It's surprising to me, that so many BE members visit this thread, just to read the contributions to what is a defunct thread! Over a thousand visitors since the last post (Clacfart above), and well over a thousand since my last one, answering my original question "Why so few shrimps...?"

I have two other threads - one in "Rest of the World" and the other in "The Maple Leaf" (Canada); both of them are active, but the number of visitors to each is about the same as this one, in the same period. I've no idea what that indicates, if anything, but it's interesting!
Old Apr 3rd 2023, 10:31 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell you why this particular shrimp left the Barbie. I got sick of a couple (well, mainly one) posters and their blatant racist, hateful posts with nothing being done to curb it despite multiple reports. If I want to see/read hate speech I'll listen to Trump speak.
Old Apr 4th 2023, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'll tell you why this particular shrimp left the Barbie. I got sick of a couple (well, mainly one) posters and their blatant racist, hateful posts with nothing being done to curb it despite multiple reports. If I want to see/read hate speech I'll listen to Trump speak.
I remember you Dorothy. Luckily I was awol in the era you’re describing. I’ve arrived back to a much quieter Barbie than I knew 15 years ago.
Old Apr 5th 2023, 8:28 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I hear you. I think that is really what caused the Aus forum to decay in the way it did. It was certainly a major factor in my resignation as a Mod.
Old Apr 22nd 2023, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's surprising to me, that so many BE members visit this thread, just to read the contributions to what is a defunct thread! Over a thousand visitors since the last post (Clacfart above), and well over a thousand since my last one, answering my original question "Why so few shrimps...?"
Yes, I understand why new posts are few: that's obvious. But why are so many "watchers" visiting the thread without commenting? It's an interesting conundrum. Almost another thousand of them since my post of 2nd April!
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I understand why new posts are few: that's obvious. But why are so many "watchers" visiting the thread without commenting? It's an interesting conundrum. Almost another thousand of them since my post of 2nd April!
It seems that it’s less a case of shrimps on the Barbie than of yabbies lurking in a dam. We can’t see them, but we know they’re there.
Old Apr 24th 2023, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Been seven years since I logged in - nice to see many familiar members *and topics, lol. We've been here 18 years this year so I'm not sure if I class myself as an expat but we're looking at bringing my father over here, with dimentia, so thought there might be others who can advise and share their experiences. Sadly my searchs yeilded little.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jothefw
Been seven years since I logged in - nice to see many familiar members *and topics, lol. We've been here 18 years this year so I'm not sure if I class myself as an expat but we're looking at bringing my father over here, with dimentia, so thought there might be others who can advise and share their experiences. Sadly my searchs yeilded little.
I can’t help you with that, sorry, but perhaps you could redo this post in the visas part of the Australia forum? Or a mod could move your post? Hopefully you will get some advice soon, I can’t imagine you’re the first member in this situation. Good luck!
Old Apr 25th 2023, 12:22 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
I can’t help you with that, sorry, but perhaps you could redo this post in the visas part of the Australia forum? Or a mod could move your post? Hopefully you will get some advice soon, I can’t imagine you’re the first member in this situation. Good luck!
Originally Posted by jothefw
Hey Jo, I remember you from years ago
Rainydaze is right, you would be best to put a post in the Immigration forum here - https://britishexpats.com/forum/immi...-australia-32/
I'd also recommend that you speak to a registered agent, someone like George Lombard, as Parent Visas aren't straightforward especially once medical issues come into play.. I suspect in your father's case it may not be possible, but if there's a way, George will find it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.