Reload this Page >

should we shouldnt we !?

Wikiposts

should we shouldnt we !?

Old May 12th 2010, 4:13 am
Just Joined

ben1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should we shouldnt we !?

hello to anyone out there taking the time to read this, my first ever posting on any web site at all !!
my name is ben, im a 38 year old carpenter and builder in ipswich uk. My better half is australian, brisbane girl, and we have a 7 month old little boy.
mandy has wanted us to move back to oz for a long time now and after several visits i have to admit i do really like what the place has to offer, but, i dont really know enough about pretty much anything to do with living there and if it would be the right move for us at all. any one who could spare time to chat on this thread and tell me of their own experience of moving and living there would really help me out, also we are over in Brisbane for a month from 16th may, next wk ! it would be great if i could arrange to meet up with anyone for a pint and a chat, ive a million questions to ask !

thanks
Old May 12th 2010, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should we shouldnt we !?

Hi Ben & welcome!
Have a look through some of the update posts as these should give you some insight into how people find life here but be warned, opinions will vary considerably! http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=107

There are lots of lovely folks in Bris who can help you with specific questions about life there, meets etc but also check the meets section to see if there is anything happening http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Lots of luck & hope you have a great holiday!
Old May 12th 2010, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ben1971
hello to anyone out there taking the time to read this, my first ever posting on any web site at all !!
my name is ben, im a 38 year old carpenter and builder in ipswich uk. My better half is australian, brisbane girl, and we have a 7 month old little boy.
mandy has wanted us to move back to oz for a long time now and after several visits i have to admit i do really like what the place has to offer, but, i dont really know enough about pretty much anything to do with living there and if it would be the right move for us at all. any one who could spare time to chat on this thread and tell me of their own experience of moving and living there would really help me out, also we are over in Brisbane for a month from 16th may, next wk ! it would be great if i could arrange to meet up with anyone for a pint and a chat, ive a million questions to ask !

thanks
Hi ben i am an electrician living in brisbane and arrived in jan10. My main reason for moving was to give the kids a better and healthier life. We both had jobs in the uk and were relativly happy but our visas expired in april so we made a decision to come back out. With your wife being an australian you already have an idea what life is like here. Read alot of the posts on here and see what you think some are negative and some are good. That would some up my experience of oz at the mo some good and some bad. I find the cost of living here higher (food, housing,utility bills). We are outside alot more and enjoy the free bbq in parks and taking the kids to the beach so that side is great. My wife worked part time in the uk and between us we earnt 100k a year. In oz it is looking more and more likely that she will have to work full time if we are not to struggle for money. That means we would have to put the kids in full time childcare which for us has always been a big no. I had a job to come to in brisbane so i have been very lucky. Tradesman that i have spoke to have said that they have been affected with recession and some have had periods of time out of work. I dont know about your trade but i have to get a licence which means going to TAFE for one night a week so you might want to check on that. Its not to bad just something you have to do. All in all life is not to bad. There are things you will miss and some things you wont. Life in the uk is not as bad as people think and life in oz is not bad either both have downsides and really its up to you to work out where you fit. A big factor to consider for me personally is how much cash you have for a house deposit. When you come for a month enjoy you holiday but try to live for a couple of weeks as if you lived here.
Old May 12th 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Scoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really nice

thanks
Ben mate I moved to Brisbane 2.5 years ago. If you want to have a pint and a chat matey give us a shout. I will be more than willing to give you a heads on the whole moving to Oz thing!

Mate priavte message me if your up for a pint.

Steve
Old May 12th 2010, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

thanks steve, that would be really usfull to meet up with you, ive no idea how to send you a priate message though ?
Old May 12th 2010, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Scoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really niceScoult is just really nice

thanks steve, that would be really usfull to meet up with you, ive no idea how to send you a priate message though ?
Ben

Just sent you a private message (top right), Steve
Old May 12th 2010, 11:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scoult
Ben

Just sent you a private message (top right), Steve
Ben, you will need to post once more, after that you will have access to your private messages
Old May 12th 2010, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ben, you will need to post once more, after that you will have access to your private messages
Cheers Pollyana
Old May 13th 2010, 1:31 am
Just Joined

trying that now, wood is my thing not computers, or is that obvious ?
Old May 13th 2010, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get the hang of it & before you know it, you will be addicted!
Old May 13th 2010, 1:44 am
Just Joined

so do people give out mobile phone numbers etc on here or should you only do that on the private message bit ? only i would love it if several people could get together to meet me at some point while im over there, can never have too much advice and different opinions dont you think ? and besides, after a few days with the outlaws ill probably need a good drink !!
Old May 13th 2010, 1:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

so do people give out mobile phone numbers etc on here or should you only do that on the private message bit ? only i would love it if several people could get together to meet me at some point while im over there, can never have too much advice and different opinions dont you think ? and besides, after a few days with the outlaws ill probably need a good drink !!
Definitely only by private message when it comes to personal details like phone numbers and email addresses Otherwise they can be picked up by spammers, or nuisance callers, and all manner of other idiots, so swap them by pm rather than posting them on the actual forum.
Most people a[on here are really friendly, so I'm sure you can sort out a few people to meet up with - and as Sally says, you'll soon be as addicted as the rest of us!
Old May 13th 2010, 10:39 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Try a wooden computer Ben

Has your GF got family in Bris? Moving to somewhere with family support when you have a young child is really helpful.
Old May 13th 2010, 10:59 am
Just Joined

yeah, her parents and sister are all there.
Old May 13th 2010, 11:01 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, her parents and sister are all there.
And they get on well? That helps!

How are your parents in the UK, Ben?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.