Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should we make drugs legal?

View Poll Results: Is it time to legalise drug use?
Yes, overall it would be a good thing
39.06%
No, it would be a disaster
45.31%
Trial it for say ten years
10.94%
Don't know
4.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Should we make drugs legal?

Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should we make drugs legal?

Originally Posted by tomarense
Hi Em,

There is some merit to your argument but, I would suggest that it is basically flawed.

The crime levels associated with drug-taking would, almost cetainly, decrease if drugs were made legal because:

1. There would be no black market,
2. Pricing could easily be made affordable,
3. Excessive drug taking would not rise substantially - very few people, including drug addicts, have the wish to kill themselves.
I am struggling with this one.. making it legal I suppose, to me, makes it tandamount to "acceptable".. which I have a problem with.. as it is a dire habit.

Your points I take on board.. yep I see and agree what you are saying... especially point 3.. I don't think it would rise substaintially.. neither would I anticipate a fall either... I do think it would move towards an acceptance that Drugs on the whole are OK, which I struggle with (as I said before).. certainly because my family has been impacted by them.. perhaps that is clouding my vision..

I just can not see an answer.. and I don't think legalising cannabis is it either, but then again I used to be pro-legalisation a while back before we got hit with this family problem..

Em x
Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:25 pm
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by emelems
I am struggling with this one.. making it legal I suppose, to me, makes it tandamount to "acceptable".. which I have a problem with.. as it is a dire habit.

Your points I take on board.. yep I see and agree what you are saying... especially point 3.. I don't think it would rise substaintially.. neither would I anticipate a fall either... I do think it would move towards an acceptance that Drugs on the whole are OK, which I struggle with (as I said before).. certainly because my family has been impacted by them.. perhaps that is clouding my vision..

I just can not see an answer.. and I don't think legalising cannabis is it either, but then again I used to be pro-legalisation a while back before we got hit with this family problem..

Em x
Unfortunately Em, drug use is a reality. The question is, how do we deal with it?

Your family, like probably everyone else's on here, has been impacted by drug use so, naturally, your view is coloured. However, we all have to face the question of how best to deal with the problem.

I, personally, believe that we have to take the "money" out of it as this will get rid of the scum who peddle the misery attached to illegality. It will, also, allow for clean drugs which will cut the death and ill-health rate associated with black market drugs. But, more importantly, it will provide a better chance of effective education on the subject as it will be neither glorified nor denigrated.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Education is the stance that has been taken with my kids.. we speak very frankly about the subject.. and so far, they seem to speak very frankly back to us about it all too.. hopefully it will be enough for now and will keep them on the right track...

Last edited by emelems; Oct 15th 2009 at 1:38 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
It's a really interesting issue. One of the *most* interesting things to me is that many of those who are vehemently opposed to legalising drug use quote family and friends who have been destroyed by them - seemingly ignoring the fact that the drugs that have done this *are* illegal at present. Ie., the illegality hasn't in their cases stopped anything at all.

I feel sorry for those whose futures are being destroyed by their use of these things, but frankly I feel a hell of a lot more sorry for the people who *don't* use them but are suffering the consequences, such as abuse, theft, muggings and of course the inability of health services to cope with the consequences.

Everyone has a choice whether to get involved in such things but as adults they should also be made to accept responsibility for their choice. Legalising drugs might - might - stop a large proportion of the damage to third parties.
And therein lies the rub. Easier said than done! Once the addiction takes hold there is virtually nothing to make them take responsibility. They have no concept of adultness and/or accepting responsibility sadly.

Last edited by Alfresco; Oct 15th 2009 at 7:48 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

You certainly do fail to see the logic
Try reading what I actually wrote. The suggestion here is that despite massive gloabl campaigns to stop smoking you are now advocating introducing even more damaging substances to the legal market. That's what I can see no logic in.

Most illegal drugs are being manufactured already, in some form, by existing pharmaceutical companies.
So the stuff currently available on the streets is being commercially manufactured by the likes AstraZeneca with the intention of 'pushing it'. Do you have one iota of proof for that?. If you do stand up, in public and claim it. It would be interesting to see if they leave you with as much as a pot to piss in after they drag you through the courts.

The arguments for legalising "illegal" drugs are many and varied but, the main ones are:

1. >90% of premature deaths are due to adulterated (unknown strength) drugs.

2. >75% of drug related crime is due to association with illegal distribution.

3. The maintainance of "illegal" drug prohibition cost the UK alone £bns in police, prison, SW, health and insurance costs

4. The alternative, legalisation, would result in massive tax returns, lower deaths, lower crime and low health costs.
...and morally you are happy with the concept of creating "massive tax returns" by introducing products to the market that we know, in advance, would create huge health implications?

Prohibition has never worked: not with alcohol, gambling or anything else. Dare I mention drugs???
I'm prohibited from putting a bullet in the head of drug dealers... that seems to have worked so far.

Society is at more danger through prohibition than it would be through legalisation.
Proof? Based on what?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

But, more importantly, it will provide a better chance of effective education on the subject as it will be neither glorified nor denigrated.
You mean like smoking and drinking have never been "glorified nor denigrated" ?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartynK
It's the wrong question. Who asked the state to start making personal decisions for free people in the first place?
The rest of the people. It's called law and order.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

1. There would be no black market,
2. Pricing could easily be made affordable,
3. Excessive drug taking would not rise substantially - very few people, including drug addicts, have the wish to kill themselves.
So cheap drugs are good?. When I was on 20 cigs a day I would have agreed with you. Now I finally managed to kick that habit after decades of trying I have a different view.

"Excessive drug taking would not rise substantially"

What's that gem based on. Taking the tobacco and alcohol industries as examples I would suggest that drug taking would rise enormously....

...and before you come back with "sensible drinking"... what's the "sensible' level for Crack, Methamphetamine, Angel Dust....?

Who would fancy a Friday night out in a city center when half the people have been taking "sensible" levels of that lot?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:11 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
you are happy with the concept of creating "massive tax returns" by introducing products to the market that we know, in advance, would create huge health implications?
The point is that these drugs would not be "introduced" to the market. They are already there!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
The point is that these drugs would not be "introduced" to the market. They are already there!
Bullshit... this thread suggests we make them (all and anything) legal and by association freely available. What percentage of people drink?.. what percentage smoke?... what percentage would take 'legal' drugs?. The same sort of levels who drink now?.

This sort of reasoning that says "ahh **** it, we can't win this war so lets just legalise it all" is ridiculous. I would guess that more people drink and drive than take class A drugs.. why don't we just legalise that as well?.

How about housebreaking... think of all the money we could save on prisons and policing if we just legalise it....
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Bullshit... this thread suggests we make them (all and anything) legal and by association freely available. What percentage of people drink?.. what percentage smoke?... what percentage would take 'legal' drugs?. The same sort of levels who drink now?.

This sort of reasoning that says "ahh **** it, we can't win this war so lets just legalise it all" is ridiculous. I would guess that more people drink and drive than take class A drugs.. why don't we just legalise that as well?.

How about housebreaking... think of all the money we could save on prisons and policing if we just legalise it....
You're using examples of things that are unquestionable illegal to support the argument that something which is not clear cut illegal (i.e. social conventionally illegal) should remain illegal. It doesn't work for me.

It's clear to me why drink driving and house breaking are illegal but I can't say the same for drugs especially when the already legal drugs are only legal because of historical precedent.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It's clear to me why drink driving and house breaking are illegal but I can't say the same for drugs especially when the already legal drugs are only legal because of historical precedent.

...and you are using an arguement that says because we screwed up in the past we should follow that same route again?!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Naive. You would have the big drug companies knocking the stuff out like sweets.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

...and you are using an arguement that says because we screwed up in the past we should follow that same route again?!
Am I? That's news to me.

I'm not saying (or suggesting) that drugs should be made legal because alcohol and smoking are.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Am I? That's news to me.

I'm not saying (or suggesting) that drugs should be made legal because alcohol and smoking are.
So what are you saying then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.