Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should teens be made to do chores?

Should teens be made to do chores?

Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should teens be made to do chores?

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Aw, jothefw, I think your future sons' partners will thank you for your approach
I like to think so! My youngest used to be like a sprinkler, so I said, that's fine but I'll teach you to clean the loo ,,, quickly learnt a) not to behave like a sprinkler and b) sitting down isn't exclusive!
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:03 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

obviously I'm a total bitch!

my two sons were made to put their own toys away as soon as they could toddle, with my help of course, they have always been expected to help clean cook etc and their room has always been their responsibility to clean and change bedding. They always made their own packed lunch for school.
from the age of 14 they had to learn to iron and wash and from age 15 cook dinners. They had to help out in the garden whenever needed chores changed with age and ability.

I worked as a nurse and also completed diplomas and degrees in the evenings, we all studied together.

If I was home I cooked dinner if not whoever was in earliest had to cook.
pocket money was dependant on jobs done, no work =no pay. We all mucked in on a Saturday morning got the house clean and tidy and then from lunchtime Saturday it was rest time, we took it in turns to cook sunday lunch.

mine are now in their 20s and are capable men when they want to be!
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
obviously I'm a total bitch!
yes you awful awful thing you for bringing up two capable lads
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:17 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
yes you awful awful thing you for bringing up two capable lads
yes they love me for it now!
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
The reason I ask is, I think they should give a helping hand in the house, but funnily enough my teenage sons disagree..
:
I think so too. My teenage daughter had an excuse to get away with it - her VCEs.

Now that the VCEs are out of the way, she cleans her room and bathroom (when she feels like it). She cooks her own meals (when she feels like it)....But not much else. So yes, I think she should help a lot more, however she thinks otherwise....
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 1:05 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

My 7 yr old daughter does more than my two boys of 11 and 15 ever did. She is very helpful and is always happy to do chores. They boys however are a whole nuther ballgame.

They have always had to tidy their rooms after themselves though and any other mess they make, but apart from that it's a bloody nightmare.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

They have always had to tidy their rooms after themselves though and any other mess they make, but apart from that it's a bloody nightmare.

Yeah, I feel your pain!

I've been thinking, I might just go on strike for a week......
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Aw, jothefw, I think your future sons' partners will thank you for your approach
Ensuring seat is down; shirt ironing, pool maintenance, mowing....are all mine. My kids are too young to be flogged but must empty their bags, clear away their plates, and help with bedrooms....must is my emphasis, their compliance is something else.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

We were always made to help out at home - not to do all the housework but at least do our rooms and clean up after dinner and put washing out - I really don't think that this is too much to ask regardless of whether they have VCE exams or not - our parents (or in my case foster family) certainly didn't let us off the hook because we had exams. My friends and I didn't fail because we had to help out a bit at home - in fact we passed our exams and many of us went on to hold down, what some consider to be, high powered careers!!
Old Feb 4th 2014, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
whether they have VCE exams or not - our parents (or in my case foster family) certainly didn't let us off the hook because we had exams.
We did let her off the hook. It was very stressful for her as it is. She more than made up for it by obtaining a perfect ATAR and getting into the Chancellor's scholars program at the Uni of Melbourne!

Last edited by IndieG; Feb 4th 2014 at 10:08 am.