Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should the family home be included in the pension assets and income test?

Should the family home be included in the pension assets and income test?

Old May 4th 2014, 9:21 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the family home be included in the pension assets and income test?

no.

there should be a tax for unused bedrooms when you turn 70.
Old May 4th 2014, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the family home be included in the pension assets and income test?

Originally Posted by GarryP
It's in Tone's Tame Tax Team report for aged care support - along with lots of other nasty sh*t.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-0...rnment/5423556

My reading is if the government tries to implement half of this, they won't have a hope of a second term. The question would rather be, will they get lynched.

Its slash and burn stuff.
More means testing. Well if you think implementing half of this will kill a second term, then more means testing will kill their vote from the wealthy, or even near wealthy too. Dangerous territory here.
Old May 4th 2014, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
no.

And suddenly we will have a nation of boarding houses --likely all booked out for the foreseeable future--and running at a loss.

I see a tax lurk coming on

And why limit this to the over 70's ??---seriously.

And as for the promoters of reverse mortgages (while I'm here)--great in theory but are you aware of the rapacious cost of this exercise ?

I am having been there once already and were I to be forced to go there again I would sell up as I suspect would many others and either rent , with all that this entails or buy into a property (one of the over 50's complexes perhaps) where the tax would not apply.

This should however be great for bringing the cost of property down across the board.

Still keen ?

Last edited by BASHO; May 4th 2014 at 8:40 pm. Reason: additions
Old May 4th 2014, 11:48 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
no.

It'd be easily solved by knocking all the internal walls down!
Old May 5th 2014, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
It'd be easily solved by knocking all the internal walls down!
Just sell the bed and get a table. Much less mess.