Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Should the relatives have been flown over by the govt?
Yes
31.11%
No
68.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:43 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I missed this earlier.

You are incorrect. Just as an example, figures from the Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism listed Iranians as the third largest group of holidaymakers to Turkey, after Germans and Bulgarians. Not normally a sign of hostility.

http://www.kultur.gov.tr/EN/belge/2-...-citizens.html
Yes, but you are ignoring a very important fact. Those Turks who live on the Turkish/Iranian border hate Iranians.

Therefore your suggestion that Iranians should just cross over the border to seek asylum would be fraught with even more dangers.

http://www.stripes.com/news/middle-e...turkey-1.93636
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should the Christmas Island tragedy relatives have been flown over by the govt?

Originally Posted by ponyrama
did they bury the live ones as well? well that's a totally different story and maybe it's not over after all. or is it?
What drugs have you been taking? There were about 100ppl on that boat and the Navy picked up 44 survivors. So unless they're zombies, they didn't all die.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Yes, but you are ignoring a very important fact. Those Turks who live on the Turkish/Iranian border hate Iranians.

Therefore your suggestion that Iranians should just cross over the border to seek asylum would be fraught with even more dangers.

http://www.stripes.com/news/middle-e...turkey-1.93636
A more dangerous journey than jumping into a sieve like boat with your kids and setting off across the Indian ocean. I think not.

Actually, did you even bother to look at the figures for the numbers of Iranian's making the 'perilous' journey to Turkey? It's in the hundreds of thousands anually.

COUNTRIES 2010*
GERMANY 4 385 263
RUSSIAN FED. 3 107 043
U.KINGDOM 2 673 605
IRAN 1 885 097

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Feb 18th 2011 at 7:02 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:56 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
What drugs have you been taking? There were about 100ppl on that boat and the Navy picked up 44 survivors. So unless they're zombies, they didn't all die.
Maybe they've turned into mermaids?
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:57 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Oh you kill me man, you kill me. This thread is about the dead people and their relatives attending their funerals. Its not about the ones that survived.

Actually I think I'm in need of drugs right now. My idealistic view of the world is in jeapordy. I came here to live the dream. And I find myself amongst you lot! Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:59 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you kill me man, you kill me. This thread is about the dead people and their relatives attending their funerals. Its not about the ones that survived.

Actually I think I'm in need of drugs right now. My idealistic view of the world is in jeapordy. I came here to live the dream. And I find myself amongst you lot! Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
May I suggest a lovely ice cold bottle of fine Russian Vodka instead? That should just about calm the nerves.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:00 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Without wanting to drag this out even further... Kurds, a nationless people spread across the Iran/Iraq/Turkish borders. Almost unrelated to your 'average' Iranian.
But it's not unrelated is it? Think about your hypothetical situation that you posed. An Iranian person looking to seek genuine asylum in another country. To be a genuine asylum seeker they should be trying to flee persecution by the state and its people. Why would an Iranian person be looking to flee Iran?
Possibly because they are of Kurdish heritage?

Therefore my point about passing the Turkish/Iranian by them is extremely dangerous for them.

The option of passing the border where you and your family could be shot on the spot, or chancing your arm on a leaky boat that has proven successful many times before for people.

I know which one I would take

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Feb 18th 2011 at 7:04 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:01 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
May I suggest a lovely ice cold bottle of fine Russian Vodka instead? That should just about calm the nerves.
Yes please. I'll have one of them to go with a dozen mogadon!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:02 pm

Yes please. I'll have one of them to go with a dozen mogadon!
Ooohhhh.......I'm in.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:04 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Actually, did you even bother to look at the figures for the numbers of Iranian's making the 'perilous' journey to Turkey? It's in the hundreds of thousands anually.
What's your point? Hundreds of thousands of non-Kurdish Iranians holidaying in Turkey every year. Hardly the sort of people likely to be seeking asylum and leaving Iran, are they? Now if you are looking for something irrelevant then the above is exactly that to your hypothetical situation.

Maybe Iran was a bad example to use?
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

What's your point? Hundreds of thousands of non-Kurdish Iranians holidaying in Turkey every year. Hardly the sort of people likely to be seeking asylum and leaving Iran, are they? Now if you are looking for something irrelevant then the above is exactly that to your hypothetical situation.

Maybe Iran was a bad example to use?
The people on the boat that this entire thread was about were primarily Iranians. You have spent the bulk of this thread banging on about asylum seekers being valid. You have had it pointed out to you that they could simply have caught a bloody train to a safe haven in Turkey.... and then suddenly that's irrelevant.

Talk about dancing on the head of a pin.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:10 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

You have had it pointed out to you that they could simply have caught a bloody train to a safe haven in Turkey.... and then suddenly that's irrelevant.

Talk about dancing on the head of a pin.
NOT IF THEY WERE KURDISH! What part of that don't you understand???????
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

NOT IF THEY WERE KURDISH! What part of that don't you understand???????
So 1.8 MILLION Iranians enter and leave Turkey annually and not a one of them is Kurdish??

FFS you've lost it. You have no idea of what you're talking about and are just lashing out with bizarre claims to try and support an unsupportable position.

Do you even know that Turkey won't grant ANY Iranian asylum within Turkey itself but has a system of passing claimants on to third party countries... you know, places like Australia?

How many Kurds live in Turkey? Millions?

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Feb 18th 2011 at 7:22 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:24 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

So 1.8 MILLION Iranians enter and leave Turkey annually and not a one of them is Kurdish??
Yes, exactly my point. For everyday Iranians to pass into Turkey is easy. For Kurdish Iranians, they are viewed as terrorists by Turkish border authorities so even if they get past them, they are then at the mercy of the hostile people of that region

FFS you've lost it. You have no idea of what you're talking about and are just lashing out with bizarre claims to try and support an unsupportable position.
I've lost it? Yet I'm the one pointing out the political and historical tensions that plague that area, yet all you can do is quote tourism figures? Don't make me laugh any harder, please!

Do you even know that Turkey won't grant ANY Iranian asylum within Turkey itself but has a system of passing claimants on to third party countries... you know, places like Australia?
I think you are now lost in your own argument. Are you now saying that even if an Iranian person attempted to cross the border into Turkey to seek asylum, they would be sent back immediately? Therefore your suggestion that they should just "safely" cross the border into Turkey if they are being persecuted is simply NOT an option and maybe gives some justification as to why they would come here amongst other places.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:34 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

guys the original question that started this thread was about paying out for relativs to attend the assylum seekers funerals. We've now exhausted this so before it gets to a slinging match im closing it

everyone has said their bit and its now getting testosteronish.

closing it before anyone gets killed