Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Shipping Container - Size advise

Wikiposts

Shipping Container - Size advise

Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice
Default Shipping Container - Size advise

We are planning on moving to Queensland and dont really know if I will require 1 x 20 ft shipping container to move my household or will I require 2.

If anyone out there has experience in packing their worldly goods into shipping containers then prehaps you could advise me on how to roughly work it out.

We have a large 4 bedroom house that is fully furnished and I have a large workshop that has lots of "treasures" tools ect. We have decided to use shipping containers for a couple of reasons, one being that we are going to build on acreage and shipping containers will be ideal for storeage of our worldly possessions whilst this is happening.

Barney
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping Container - Size advise

Sounds to me that you will need a 40ft, ours has been loaded this week,it was a 40ft that was over 75% full and we had a 4 bed detatched house.
Maybe get a couple round to give you quotes. let me know if you need any more info.
Gary
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
We are planning on moving to Queensland and dont really know if I will require 1 x 20 ft shipping container to move my household or will I require 2.

If anyone out there has experience in packing their worldly goods into shipping containers then prehaps you could advise me on how to roughly work it out.

We have a large 4 bedroom house that is fully furnished and I have a large workshop that has lots of "treasures" tools ect. We have decided to use shipping containers for a couple of reasons, one being that we are going to build on acreage and shipping containers will be ideal for storeage of our worldly possessions whilst this is happening.

Barney
We had 2 x 20 foot containers for our move from Brisbane to Perth (same 4 bed house full of funiture, plus shed stuff and tradesman's trailer. All fitted in.

We moved to Dubai last week and got a 40 foot container (had sold trailer and a couple of extra things we had lying around) and all stuff didn't fit into 40 foot container. Apparently 40 foot containers are not as tall as 20 foot containers and you lose some cubic metres. Also for international everything is wrapped twice as well (supposedly). Anyway, hope that helps.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Barney
Go for 2 20ft containers, one to sell on and 1 for me to stay in when i come to stay

John
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

We have decided to use shipping containers for a couple of reasons, one being that we are going to build on acreage and shipping containers will be ideal for storeage of our worldly possessions whilst this is happening.

Barney
Barney

I'm a bit confused about the last bit. If you didn't use shipping containers, what would you use? Also you don't get to keep the container.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Barney

I'm a bit confused about the last bit. If you didn't use shipping containers, what would you use? Also you don't get to keep the container.
You can purchase them if you want. We weighed up the pros and cons of it ourselves.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:17 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
...Apparently 40 foot containers are not as tall as 20 foot containers and you lose some cubic metres...
Someone told you porkies... same standard height of 8.5' - also a 40' box holds a bit more than 2 x 20' boxes... But you'll lose capacity if you get given a reefer due to the insulation... You can also get super cubes that are over standard height to hold more cargo... and open tops for weird things...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by spartacus
Barney

Thanks for all your replies guys,

Sorry, Should have made myself a little bit more clear. We live just outside Canberra and are moving to Queensland. I plan to purchase the shipping containers. Also, I want the 20 foot containers as these can be unloaded by the truck that carries them but a 40 footer will have to be unloaded with the use of a crane (more cost involved). It will also be easier to sell on the 20 foot containers once they have served their purpose than a 40 footer.

Barney

Last edited by POW148; Aug 30th 2008 at 10:55 am.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Go for 2 20ft containers, one to sell on and 1 for me to stay in when i come to stay

John
No doubt you will want me to purchase the insulated type, put in a couple of windows and a door, a beer fridge (full) and the odd bag of crisps.

After 47 years, I think that you are now house trained so you will be able to stay in my shed (as that is where the beer will be kept).

Barney
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt you will want me to purchase the insulated type, put in a couple of windows and a door, a beer fridge (full) and the odd bag of crisps.

After 47 years, I think that you are now house trained so you will be able to stay in my shed (as that is where the beer will be kept).

Barney
That will do me fine

John
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:14 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go all the info,........
http://www.australiatrade.com.au/Shi...ales/index.htm
............mm
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DrWho
Someone told you porkies... same standard height of 8.5' - also a 40' box holds a bit more than 2 x 20' boxes... But you'll lose capacity if you get given a reefer due to the insulation... You can also get super cubes that are over standard height to hold more cargo... and open tops for weird things...
No doubt I've been told a porky- removal company trying to worm it's way out of it's useless packers and trying to charge an extra grand for the stuff that didn't fit in the 40'. We've moved heaps of times and there's always some issue with the bloomin' removalists - no matter which one's we use.