Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Selling your house in OZ.

Selling your house in OZ.

Old Mar 27th 2012, 5:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling your house in OZ.

Its certainly dramatically cheaper for me, i do almost everything myself. I have been checking on building supplies etc, everything from nails to plasterboard is much cheaper.

Originally Posted by Beoz

The UK is dramatically cheaper to build or renovate. .... especially when you source your builder from the continent.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Try and sell it yourself privately now ( http://www.hotproperties.com.au/ or http://www.buymyplace.com.au/sellers...-landing.aspx? just a couple of sites for private buyers/sellers).

If nothing happens then pull it off the market for a few months before you hand it over to an estate agent to work their magic and consider an auction - dont know if they are a big deal where you are but a good percentage of Canberra houses go to auction these days.

Good luck!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Go Gecko are supposed to be quite good and have fixed, very reasonable, commision rates. What they do and don't do to earn that I have no idea but a friend sold her place through them with no problem.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:08 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Go Gecko, capped commission of $6995 and they are good.
Unfortunately racism like that seems to be acceptable for whatever reason. It would be enough reason for me not to use them and make it clear why not.
Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Go Gecko are supposed to be quite good and have fixed, very reasonable, commision rates. What they do and don't do to earn that I have no idea but a friend sold her place through them with no problem.
dont know about qld but in SA go gecko are a franchise chain so even if one office is good another may be complete idiots ... a bit like the office we bought our house through. Our mortgage advisor actually called them incompetent along with rather a lot of unrepeatable things!!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Owner.com.au. Is another site commonly used up here x
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Go gecko up here all shut down, did read they had gone bust, obviously not australia wide if others still have them.

Just looking at the buy my place one, after the initial fee, an upgrade to get it on RE.com is 499 for first month then 99 month.

Agency/method of sale aside, how is anyone on the market right now finding it??.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:45 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, that applies to any business doing anything, they are only as good as their staff.

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
dont know about qld but in SA go gecko are a franchise chain so even if one office is good another may be complete idiots ... a bit like the office we bought our house through. Our mortgage advisor actually called them incompetent along with rather a lot of unrepeatable things!!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:46 am
Banned

Post #11

Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:36 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

I used Go Gecko last June to sell my house and had no problems with them - it saved me over $11,000 in commission compared to other agents. I think most estate agents are much of a muchness.

To come back to the original question about when to sell your house - it depends what your next move is and whether you want to buy again. We sold when the market was down - and it still is - and we did not get what we hoped for, but we had to sell due to marriage break up. But having sold it enabled me to put in a silly offer on another house which was accepted.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Love the agents right now too.

Comission of 25/30K but they expect you to pay for everything. Even putting it on the Internet - $450, a sign $200, photos $450, then she says $800 per ad.

Then she made a joke about english people, obviously not realising I was erm english.

Good start, racist agent trying to fleece me.
Don't pay ANYTHING up front. Use a Jenman approved agent. No sale, no costs. Extremely ethical selling methods. Find the right agent, and what the market's doing doesn't matter. They can identify the serious buyers and still get a good price.

Last edited by TopCat3; Mar 31st 2012 at 1:05 pm. Reason: typo
Old Mar 31st 2012, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
Try and sell it yourself privately now ( http://www.hotproperties.com.au/ or http://www.buymyplace.com.au/sellers...-landing.aspx? just a couple of sites for private buyers/sellers).

If nothing happens then pull it off the market for a few months before you hand it over to an estate agent to work their magic and consider an auction - dont know if they are a big deal where you are but a good percentage of Canberra houses go to auction these days.

Good luck!
Don't auction!!! You get the second best price. Get a really skillful agent showing two or three people through separately but in succession (3.30, 3.45, 4.00 pm for example) Then he will be negotiating back and forth between them conducting a "silent auction" which will get you the best price because they don't know what the last bid was, only that they have to beat it. There was $7.5k between the top silent bid and the next one on my sale 2 weeks ago.