British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Seeing the same Rock Star decades and continents apart (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/seeing-same-rock-star-decades-continents-apart-930535/)

ozzieeagle Jan 22nd 2020 3:12 am

Seeing the same Rock Star decades and continents apart

Off to see Elton John this Sunday at Hanging Rock, courtesy of an Xmas Present from my youngest Daughter. Not really the greatest Elton John fan, but I renewed my interest after tagging along to see Rocket Man, so quite looking forward to it thanks to the renewed interest due to that film. Twas a great film as well.

Anyway it got me thinking. Last time I saw Elton John was at a Crystal Palace Garden Party back in July 1971.... That's the only other time, I was far more interested in Yes, Rory Gallagher and Fairport Convention who played on the same day. Yes being the highlight for me that day. Still remember Rick Wakeman pounding away between 3 banks of Keyboards.

Still, this should be good. Mind you 39 years between shows.... That's got to be some kind of record. So who have you seen here and there and now and then?

Amazulu Jan 22nd 2020 4:38 am

Re: Seeing the same Rock Star decades and continents apart

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12793690)
Off to see Elton John this Sunday at Hanging Rock, courtesy of an Xmas Present from my youngest Daughter. Not really the greatest Elton John fan, but I renewed my interest after tagging along to see Rocket Man, so quite looking forward to it thanks to the renewed interest due to that film. Twas a great film as well.

Anyway it got me thinking. Last time I saw Elton John was at a Crystal Palace Garden Party back in July 1971.... That's the only other time, I was far more interested in Yes, Rory Gallagher and Fairport Convention who played on the same day. Yes being the highlight for me that day. Still remember Rick Wakeman pounding away between 3 banks of Keyboards.

Still, this should be good. Mind you 39 years between shows.... That's got to be some kind of record. So who have you seen here and there and now and then?

49 years

ozzieeagle Jan 22nd 2020 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12793702)
49 years

Whoops knocked 10 years off my age ;) It's the wife I've married to for 40 years on Jan 12th just gone, 42 if you count co-habitation.

Time flys when your having fun. Better excuse than saying I'm losing it I guess.

moneypenny20 Jan 22nd 2020 11:03 am

It'll be a great show, I've heard nothing but great reports. I'm seeing him up on the Sunshine Coast in March, it'll be my 6th Elton concert. Four in the UK since 81 and one here about 10 years ago. Awesome showman.

Amazulu Jan 22nd 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12793705)
Whoops knocked 10 years off my age ;) It's the wife I've married to for 40 years on Jan 12th just gone, 42 if you count co-habitation.

Time flys when your having fun. Better excuse than saying I'm losing it I guess.

:thumbs_up:

scrubbedexpat098 Jan 23rd 2020 2:03 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12793690)

we saw him a couple of years ago in Wollongong, what a performer. I believe someone saved my life tonight is on his set list this time, so I'm gutted I'm not going. You'll love it I'm sure

Tom Sawyer Jan 23rd 2020 8:11 am

Can't quite match you as my gigging days didn't start until the early-80's..........but going to see Alice Cooper again in a couple of weeks and that will be about 35-36 years between the Birmingham Odeon and Sydney (have seen him a couple of times in between as well). Saw Status Quo maybe 5 years ago for the umpteenth time and that was 1982 - 2014 ish, so 32 years for them. Rush I first saw in "83 and saw them in the UK in 2014 on what turned out to be final Euro tour, so that was 31 years apart. ZZ Top I saw in '83 as well and then 2014 or so when they supported Gun N Roses down here. Sisters of Mercy 1989 first and last year in Sydney so that would be 30 years.........OK feeling old now.

Hutch Jan 24th 2020 3:44 am

I saw one of Depeche Mode's early gigs at the Hitchen Regal as part of the BBC Sight and Sound concert series in the mid-80s. Then saw them again the week before we emigrated, which is a paltry 20-something year gap. However this year the good lady wife and I are going to see Queen in Sydney next month and the last time I saw them in concert was at Knebworth in 1986, which turned out to be Freddy's last ever performance. So a 34 year gap on that one.