Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The search is over, best Aussie Fisn n Chips located!

The search is over, best Aussie Fisn n Chips located!

Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The search is over, best Aussie Fisn n Chips located!

After weeks of research and searching for fish n chips that are even as half good as anything in the UK we have finally struck gold!

After reading this in the paper about Bondi Surf Seafoods http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bondi-fish...730-1i5dr.html we thought we would pop down there last Sunday and given them a go.

Not as good as what you get in the UK, but not far off at all
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The search is over, best Aussie Fisn n Chips located!

Originally Posted by Jon77
After weeks of research and searching for fish n chips that are even as half good as anything in the UK we have finally struck gold!

After reading this in the paper about Bondi Surf Seafoods http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bondi-fish...730-1i5dr.html we thought we would pop down there last Sunday and given them a go.

Not as good as what you get in the UK, but not far off at all
Great stuff!!

New one opening in inner north Brisbane this week - run by the Irish people who own and run Celtic Koala - their foodstuffs are brilliant so the shop should do well

O'Connor's Traditional Fish and Chips
OPENING Friday 12th August 4pm - 10pm!! Saturday 12pm - 10pm. Sunday 12pm - 9pm. Monday to Thursday 4pm - 9pm. opening for lunch in the next few weeks. Shop B, 229 Lutwyche Rd, Windsor, 4030. Parking in behind. Cnr Lutwyche rd & Le Geyt St. Just south of Officeworks, on the opposite side of Lutwyche Road.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Kailis Fish n Chips in Leederville, Perth and Fremantle > all others
Old Aug 11th 2011, 3:13 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Been back in England for nearly 2 months now and for me Aus fish & chips win hands down. Miss not being able to have my fish grilled and fresh chips and a salad. I also miss the chicken salt, although I've got to say nothing beats chip shop vinegar and Mr Peepster is loving the curry sauce, the big freak.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 4:11 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
Been back in England for nearly 2 months now and for me Aus fish & chips win hands down. Miss not being able to have my fish grilled and fresh chips and a salad. I also miss the chicken salt, although I've got to say nothing beats chip shop vinegar and Mr Peepster is loving the curry sauce, the big freak.
Not sure where you are, but in the Midlands, there is a chain called George's tradition who do the whole grilling and salad stuff as well

http://www.georgestradition.co.uk/

Bit pricey, but lovely F&C
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

sorry. I dont know how to break it to you nciely, but you are all massively incorrect.
this is actually the best fish and chip shop in the world:

http://www.oceanfoods.com.au/location.html

Drummoyne, Sydney NSW

try the oven cooked fish of the day with calamari rings and chips/salad,
and then report back to me.

While I loved, or thought I loved, the UK's "world famous" fish and chips, with hindsight its generally nothing but overly greasy mediocre fish and soggy chips. It may have been world class at some point in time, but as the rest of the world has started making it, I think the UK has been completely outclassed. I'd take Australian seafood any day of the week.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Kailis Fish n Chips in Leederville, Perth and Fremantle > all others
True, great chippie as well as wet fish shop, unfortunately you have to be a millionaire to shop there.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:13 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
sorry. I dont know how to break it to you nciely, but you are all massively incorrect.
this is actually the best fish and chip shop in the world:

http://www.oceanfoods.com.au/location.html

Drummoyne, Sydney NSW

try the oven cooked fish of the day with calamari rings and chips/salad,
and then report back to me.

While I loved, or thought I loved, the UK's "world famous" fish and chips, with hindsight its generally nothing but overly greasy mediocre fish and soggy chips. It may have been world class at some point in time, but as the rest of the world has started making it, I think the UK has been completely outclassed. I'd take Australian seafood any day of the week.
I completely agree. UK fish and chips is not what it used to be.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
True, great chippie as well as wet fish shop, unfortunately you have to be a millionaire to shop there.
Do people form an impression of you based on the prices at the chippy you shop at?
Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:19 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

You can choose to believe this or not but our local fish and chips is not bad at all. And this is in the middle of nowhere. The burgers are OK too.

Proper chunky crunchy chips

The Thai take-away didn't last long, for very good reasons ...
Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:36 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the British chippie in Birkdale, had to try it once. I can honestly say we won't be going back, just too greasy for me these days, loved the chippie when I was a youngster but they don't do anything for me now.

It wasn't that I missed going to the chippie but rather just wanted to try it out. I actually prefer our local Fish on Fire in Cleveland.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 3:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Fish and chips are one of the many things - like rugby, football, trains, justice - that the UK gave to the world, and that the rest of the world now does better. The best F&Cs in the world are to be had in Hout Bay, Cape Town. The best F&Cs outside of South Africa are in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 3:19 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Fish and chips are one of the many things - like rugby, football, trains, justice - that the UK gave to the world, and that the rest of the world now does better. The best F&Cs in the world are to be had in Hout Bay, Cape Town. The best F&Cs outside of South Africa are in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand.
We found an even better one last November in aptly named Fishhoek

Edit: Note to self: Gotta stop thinking about food
Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
We found an even better one last November in aptly named Fishhoek

Edit: Note to self: Gotta stop thinking about food
Cool. Fish Hoek is a great spot. This is the place I'm talking about:
http://www.fishontherocks.co.za/

The trawlers offload right behind the building.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sad woman that I am had a list of foodstuffs to try when I went back to the UK last year for the first time sine 2005. Fish, chips and peas (being a northernbird ) were on the list along with curry, chinese, beef monster munch, Hollands steak and kidney pudding etc etc. The only thing I enjoyed and that tasted as good as I remembered it was the fish and chips. The chips in particular

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.