Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

SE Queensland Storms

SE Queensland Storms

Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SE Queensland Storms

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
We have just bought a house in The Gap, due to move in two weeks. Can't get hold of the real estate agent, just ringing out so no way of knowing if the house is still standing. Don't think I can drive by because a major junction near by is closed off. I assume the owners would somehow make contact if there was damage as we have the buildings insurance cover. Am I right?? I need my mind put at rest. All those poor people out there. The place looks horrendous on the TV. Hopefully, no-one got hurt.
What street is your house in? I can check the lists at work and might be able to find out if you still haven't heard. PM me if you like.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

We were at the spit beside seaworld. It took my 2.5 hours to get home to Ormeau. Not sure if there was an accident on the road further towards Brisbane, but I did let an ambulance past. Is it just me or do you find that when the rain comes all the lunatic drivers come out. If they were not jumping from lane to lane they were going so slow it was scary.
x
Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shabee
We were at the spit beside seaworld. It took my 2.5 hours to get home to Ormeau. Not sure if there was an accident on the road further towards Brisbane, but I did let an ambulance past. Is it just me or do you find that when the rain comes all the lunatic drivers come out. If they were not jumping from lane to lane they were going so slow it was scary.
x
I found people were still racing through the broken traffic lights with little concern for the people who wanted to turn into the road. Saw several near misses. I stopped to let one ute turn in front of me and some idiot coming up behind me overtook and very nearly hit him. Was even worse at the big junctions. In South Africa, there is a 4 way stop system usually based on courtesy and a first come basis, where everyone takes a turn. Works really well in situations like these.

Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Thank you Pollyana, will PM you now
Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:47 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Oooh Missus!

Sorry serious subject.
Hark at you who 'peaked too early' last night
Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Hark at you who 'peaked too early' last night

Nothing that a bit of 'nasal delivery technology' wouldn't address!

And anyhoo, I don't believe you were there.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:00 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus

Nothing that a bit of 'nasal delivery technology' wouldn't address!
Didnt read about that in the Karma sutra book,mind you i only looked at the pictures,that was enough
Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Didnt read about that in the Karma sutra book,mind you i only looked at the pictures,that was enough
You mucky man!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

We have just bought a house in The Gap, due to move in two weeks. Can't get hold of the real estate agent, just ringing out so no way of knowing if the house is still standing. Don't think I can drive by because a major junction near by is closed off. I assume the owners would somehow make contact if there was damage as we have the buildings insurance cover. Am I right?? I need my mind put at rest. All those poor people out there. The place looks horrendous on the TV. Hopefully, no-one got hurt.
Did you take out house insurance when you signed the contract?

If you dont, you run the risk of the owner having insufficient or no insurance and you having a legally binding contract to complete the purchase.

Hopefully it will be a reminder to other buyers.

WW
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:29 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK,Brisbanebound, I'm looking into it, thanks for that. Any Gap residents that get online could you please pm either me or Brisbane Bound(cheeky I know, but lets help each other out here!).

At the moment most of the Gap is still without power or phones. It looks like a minor cyclone went through it, but comunity spirit is holding up and the SES and Energex are flat out all over the affected areas.

132500 has calmed down a bit now - if anyone still needs the SES and hasn't yet logged their deatils please call 132500, and if its engaged please be patient. They are dealing with a phenomenal number of calls.

Energex and Telstra are flat out and have been all day. They, as well as SES, have teams here and en route from other regions of the State. 90% of power is now back on.

Please - if you are in an affected area - go check on your neighbours, even just to say "Hi, are you OK," as just a bit of contact can help a lot.

If you are in an area served by The Gap reservoir, or are in touch with anyone in that area, PLEASE tell them - they MUST boil all water before drinking. The water in the reservoir has suffered contamination from a collapsed roof and cannot currently be guaranteed safe to drink unless it is boiled.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 17th 2008 at 2:54 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:44 am
Home and Happy

Anyone needing assistance from the Dept of Communities -
http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/co...severe-storms/

They are also setting up One Stop Shops in Shopping Centres - if you call the numbers on that link they should be able to help with the nearest location.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 17th 2008 at 8:50 am.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Great job as always Polly.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:00 pm
Home and Happy

Couple of links, partly for the benefit of people as they get back online and want to catch up on what has gone on around them -

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...018248,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...57-952,00.html

See also the Courier Mail's storm picture gallery - horrendous damage to houses and some stunning weather pics.

The map below shows the areas that were hardest hit.
Attached Thumbnails SE Queensland Storms-sandgate-16.11.jpg   SE Queensland Storms-16.11-gap.jpg   SE Queensland Storms-map-severe-areas-16.11.jpg  
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Yes, we took out house insurance. Does that mean if there had been damage, that the ins co. would have been in touch by now if damage was reported. Mind you, if phone lines/mobiles/computers are down in The Gap, maybe the current owners haven't been able to make outside contact yet.
Or do the owners still have their own insurance as well as having insurance on the new house they are buying?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, we took out house insurance. Does that mean if there had been damage, that the ins co. would have been in touch by now if damage was reported. Mind you, if phone lines/mobiles/computers are down in The Gap, maybe the current owners haven't been able to make outside contact yet.
Or do the owners still have their own insurance as well as having insurance on the new house they are buying?
Hope it all works out for the good BB.

Looking at that map of Polly's, we were battered in Moggill, lord knows how terrifying it must have been in the Gap and environs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.