Scuba

Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:40 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scuba

Who on here goes under?

I do my theory test tomorrow and practical over the next few weeks. Mates to bounce questions off, especially in Perth, would be useful.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:45 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scuba

I do! I'm a PADI Divemaster, been diving for 10+ years now. Learnt in the UK, done heaps of diving all around the UK but also in South Africa, Philippines, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific, Red Sea etc. Absolutely bloody love it

Good luck for your theory test!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

sarahntonygoingtooz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by worzel
Who on here goes under?

I do my theory test tomorrow and practical over the next few weeks. Mates to bounce questions off, especially in Perth, would be useful.
Hi ther,
Don’t worry about your test.... the hard bit is controlling your buoyancy!!, the instructor will help you with the theory, that is what you are paying him money for and most of it is common sense if you just sit back and think about it first. I’m about for a bit if you have any really hard stuff that you want explaining, have a bash at this if you are getting stuck on your tables

http://scubatoys.com/store/software/software.asp

If you join their forum you get the key for nothing and it is actually quite a good programme!!....,
Will be moving to Perth in Sept so will be up for some diving if you pass.....
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:21 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Who on here goes under?

I'm an IDC Staff Instructor (Instructor Trainer). Good luck with the test. Its all easy and multiple choice and if you've read the book, done the knowledge reviews then just have another read over and you'll be fine.

The practical part is fun. Its not a test per se. You just go through a set of underwater skills, such as taking off your mask and putting it back on. But as said above the most useful skill and perhaps the hardest is getting your buoyancy right - the ability to float "weightless". But its like riding a bike - once you've got it your sorted.

Best to luck, enjoy it! Its awesome fun!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:42 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. I am not worried about the test, being an accountant with a maths degree I would be a bit worried if I couldn't do the tables!

Ok, first question then - wet suits. I am tempted to buy one up front as we do other water sports so would get good use out of it. Anaconda do ones that only come down to the knee at just $85. But Googling dive shops yesterday proper diving ones were more like $400.

Do I need to pay $400 and get a good one or will the $85 one be good enough?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

SpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really nice

I believe the water temperature where you are is about 18-22 C.

I'd recommend a full 5mm wetsuit for that sort of temperature, possibly with a hood in winter. However different people feel the cold to different degrees. But I think you'd be too cold in a shorty to be honest.

It might be better to get some advice from your instructor rather than buying something up front to be honest - fit is hugely important with a wetsuit if it's going to keep you warm.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:55 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'd recommend something more than that too, although as has been said people feel the affects of the temperature differently - I personally get very cold diving and will probably bring my drysuit with me when we move over (and we're coming to Brisbane!).

When we spent 4 months travelling around Oz a couple of years ago, and dived all over, we both wore 5mm full suits with lined seals so less water flowed in/out through the wrist and ankle seals.

It kind of depends if you think you'll take up diving in a big way or not as well - if you do end up doing it regularly I'd definitely say it's worth investing in a decent suit. I think you'd want to spend more than $85 but I think you could get away with paying less than $400.

Did you pass your test then?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:28 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

I've only dived once so far, in the tank at ocean world in Manley, the main cold bit I felt was when it got in to the suit and around the small of my back. I'm planning to do the course once I get back to Oz...

How did you get on?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:07 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Yeah I'd recommend something more than that too, although as has been said people feel the affects of the temperature differently - I personally get very cold diving and will probably bring my drysuit with me when we move over (and we're coming to Brisbane!).

When we spent 4 months travelling around Oz a couple of years ago, and dived all over, we both wore 5mm full suits with lined seals so less water flowed in/out through the wrist and ankle seals.

It kind of depends if you think you'll take up diving in a big way or not as well - if you do end up doing it regularly I'd definitely say it's worth investing in a decent suit. I think you'd want to spend more than $85 but I think you could get away with paying less than $400.

Did you pass your test then?
All 3 of us got 50 out of 50 on the written test.

I asked the instructor and another guy about wetsuits and they basically confirmed what you all said. A shorty is no good but no need for a dry suit here. A hood is probably a good idea but not a necessity. They reckoned I wouldn't need to spend any more than $200.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Who on here goes under?

Matt's under now!
He's off doing the ex-hmas brisbane today.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

SpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really niceSpeedyJon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Agreed, it's good to be warm enough on a dive.
If I get my visa, my O'Three wetsuit will be coming over - toasty warm.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

I qualified in 2002. Currently working on my Rescue Divers qual finished (though its taking a back seat to my degree sadly!).

I'm one of those freaks that doesn't get cold underwater - I'll happy dive in a 3mm shorty all year round, and for diving in places like cairns its either just boardies and a rash vest or my 0.5mm GUL shorty.

Congrats on the theory!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:34 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

All 3 of us got 50 out of 50 on the written test.

I asked the instructor and another guy about wetsuits and they basically confirmed what you all said. A shorty is no good but no need for a dry suit here. A hood is probably a good idea but not a necessity. They reckoned I wouldn't need to spend any more than $200.
Well done, and welcome to the world of diving

Yeah I'd say that's about right - our 5mm ones we got in Oz were about $200 I think.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:36 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Originally Posted by SpeedyJon
Agreed, it's good to be warm enough on a dive.
If I get my visa, my O'Three wetsuit will be coming over - toasty warm.
I love O'Three wetsuits and drysuits! My drysuit is a O'Three one (in fact I've had a couple of theirs) and I love their wetsuits too. I know the guy who started (and still runs) the company and it's nice to support a local company too (I used to do all my diving from Weymouth and Portland).
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:39 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Originally Posted by YoSemite
I qualified in 2002. Currently working on my Rescue Divers qual finished (though its taking a back seat to my degree sadly!).

I'm one of those freaks that doesn't get cold underwater - I'll happy dive in a 3mm shorty all year round, and for diving in places like cairns its either just boardies and a rash vest or my 0.5mm GUL shorty.

Congrats on the theory!
I really envy you - I hate it that I get really cold underwater!

Hmm... must learn how to multi quote!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.