Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Scratch beyond the surface of Australia

Wikiposts

Scratch beyond the surface of Australia

Old Jul 28th 2006, 11:25 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scratch beyond the surface of Australia

Originally Posted by wengerboy
You only have to read between the lines of some of the "forum comments" to understand what is wrong with Western [sic] Society .... mm
Old Jul 28th 2006, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that Australia is very polarised; leave 20kms from any city and you reach a far-reaching urban and semi-rural sprawl where the culture is very homegenised (with exceptions - thank God).

There's a problem where Poms move to very ordinary suburbs which they think are nice as they come with the trimmings, ie big houses etc. Time soon tells.

I find many feral people are just country people and are often very nice people - in fact infinitely nicer than chavs who have no culture at all. Yes, give me a feral, and a young bloke in a car over a chav any day. The people with no culture are often the English 3bed semi detached suburban types who have never ventured further than Tesco and can't understand anyone who knows a life they have never understood.

I've lived in nice little market towns in the UK the centres of which become a problem on a Saturday night - its a thing the world over.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:19 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iPom
No! Dear god, where do you live? What on earth possessed you to move there? :scared: :scared: :scared:
It's there under my username.
We chose to live in Kinross cos we couldn't afford any of the posher suburbs (I'd classify Kinross as middle of the road - not an overpriced coastal area, but also not one full of State Housing), but anyway the crowbar incident and drug raid occurred when we rented in a 'posher' suburb - the same one as Renth and his 'sword attack'!
The supermarket and train incidents were also not local.
Just to reiterate - I'm 90% happy with where we live - it's just a case of trading the good and bad points.
Myself and my wife have walked/played with the kids and dogs in the park where I was attcked (50 yds from our front door) before and after dark three or four times a day for the last seven months, and aside of grafitti and broken glass, which are an ongoing problem, we've only experienced this incident and the glue sniffing.
Yes we lived somewhere suburban in the UK and we do in Australia.
I related my experiences to dispute the 'Same **** different bucket!' argument. Although I do think the issues that I've witnessed issues are a 'Western cultural' thing, I think that this 'culture' is displayed in different ways in different Western countries when mixed with historical values of these societies. Maybe Australia's got more of a frontier spirit than the UK, which when mixed with alcohol etc. makes friendships stronger and disagreements more violent......
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bal56
Maybe Australia's got more of a frontier spirit than the UK, which when mixed with alcohol etc. makes friendships stronger and disagreements more violent......

I think that's probably a very plausible hypothesis.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 4:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Where exactly are you living in the Southern Highlands? You paint a picture that is so utterly divorced from the one I've experienced and from that of my sister and her husband, who've lived in Robertson for a couple of years, that it beggars belief. Last time I was in Bowral, Mittagong and Robertson I don't recall seeing any gangs of disenfranchised youth roaming the streets strung out on Bostik, or litter, or vandalism. I do recall seeing lots of well off Australians and expat poms lunching in trendy eateries and shopping in trendy boutiques - but crazed motorcycle gangs vandalising bus shelters and carving swastikas into bowling greens - no.
Burradoo/Bowral actually <g>.

It must be quite a time since you were here: the Highland News is never free of the reports of arson, vandalism, attacks, "glassings", etc. The litter is disgraceful. I think you really need to keep the specs on to not see it.

Yes, these things seem to be on the increase everywhere: in the main it is a function of youth. Since Australia is a youthful "culture" it's as good a reason as any for the prevalence of anti-social behaviour here.

Drove through Robertson this morning: beautiful though very windy and cold day.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 6:49 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

You get nice people in all parts of society problem is when the balance of one sort out weighs the other leading to crisis.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:39 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

I felt I had to respond to this thread that I had started and some people seem to of taken the wrong way.

Yes, we came here a lot better off than we ever were in the UK, most people on this board do. We sold our house which we had bought in the mid nineties for a huge profit which enabled us to live the dream, when I say my rose tinted sunglasses have fallen off what I mean is the honeymoon period is well and truly over and the daily grind has hit home, same shit different bucket?

The point I am trying to make is that violent crime, car hooning and the like is far more common here, so much so that it goes mostly unnoticed. This morning for instance there were a bunch of aboriginals sniffing petrol from a coke bottle on a very busy corner in Brisbane's west end and the rush hour traffic and pedestrians just went by oblivious!!!

Like I said, just scratch beyond the surface and there is an underbelly which is not attractive.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:47 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Scratch beyond the surface of Australia

Originally Posted by Wife Beater
I felt I had to respond to this thread that I had started and some people seem to of taken the wrong way.

Yes, we came here a lot better off than we ever were in the UK, most people on this board do. We sold our house which we had bought in the mid nineties for a huge profit which enabled us to live the dream, when I say my rose tinted sunglasses have fallen off what I mean is the honeymoon period is well and truly over and the daily grind has hit home, same shit different bucket?

The point I am trying to make is that violent crime, car hooning and the like is far more common here, so much so that it goes mostly unnoticed. This morning for instance there were a bunch of aboriginals sniffing petrol from a coke bottle on a very busy corner in Brisbane's west end and the rush hour traffic and pedestrians just went by oblivious!!!

Like I said, just scratch beyond the surface and there is an underbelly which is not attractive.
Suppose it depends where you lived in the first place. We haven't had a weekly police helicopter or plane flying over our house for hours on end here , where as in UK it happened on a monthly basis. I've seen a lot less crime than I saw in UK so far. A lot of them here seem to hoon in their own cars where as in UK they knicked your car to do it but must admit didn't see any petrol sniffing Aboriginals in the North East you have me there just pissed Northerners.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:34 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wol
Burradoo/Bowral actually <g>.

It must be quite a time since you were here: the Highland News is never free of the reports of arson, vandalism, attacks, "glassings", etc. The litter is disgraceful. I think you really need to keep the specs on to not see it.

Yes, these things seem to be on the increase everywhere: in the main it is a function of youth. Since Australia is a youthful "culture" it's as good a reason as any for the prevalence of anti-social behaviour here.

Drove through Robertson this morning: beautiful though very windy and cold day.
A local fireman we know told us that each suburb has a lifecycle. The low point for crime, arson attacks etc. seems to be when the first generation's kids are growing up, then when they get older themselves things die down.
I'm not quite sure how this explains Renth's experiences in Ocean Reef.... it's probably nutters from other suburbs looking to victimise the better off.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:13 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bal56
I'm not quite sure how this explains Renth's experiences in Ocean Reef.... it's probably nutters from other suburbs looking to victimise the better off.
One of the louts who stabbed our neighbour shouted "***** you, you rich mother*****ers!" as he walked away from the scene of the crime.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:29 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Have to admit, there is a world of a difference between old suburbs and new suburbs. I think the new estate will go down in history as one of the worst social blights in Australian history - people will be writing books about it. There's been recent articles in the paper.
Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Seems to me that Australia is very polarised; leave 20kms from any city and you reach a far-reaching urban and semi-rural sprawl where the culture is very homegenised (with exceptions - thank God).

There's a problem where Poms move to very ordinary suburbs which they think are nice as they come with the trimmings, ie big houses etc. Time soon tells.
Would have given you karma for either of these 2 posts - but it wouldnt let me!