Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Scratch beyond the surface of Australia

Wikiposts

Scratch beyond the surface of Australia

Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:46 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scratch beyond the surface of Australia

And it gets ugly.

Life here is good, I am not denying that but that is because we have come here as cashed up Poms with enough money to buy a few cars a house and all the trappings, fancy Stainless BBQ, big screen TV and the rest of it but just beyond lies an under belly of feral Aussies.

I believe in the UK they are called chavs, here they are ferals but they are the same breed, probably from the same gene pool (Puddle)

Death on the roads, drugs, shootings, murder, granny rape, the list goes on and it is not good.

Has anyone else's rose tinted Sunny's fallen off? :scared:

Last edited by Wife Beater; Jul 26th 2006 at 9:50 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:51 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scratch betond the surface of Australia

Originally Posted by Wife Beater
And it gets ugly.

Life here is good, I am not denying that but that is because we have come here as cashed up Poms with enough money to buy a few cars a house and all the trappings, fancy Stainless BBQ, big screen TV and the rest of it but just beyond lies an under belly of feral Aussies.

I believe in the UK they are called chavs, here they are ferals but they are the same breed, probably from the same gene pool (Puddle)

Death on the roads, drugs, shootings, murder, granny rape, the list goes on and it is not good.

Never really had the rose tinted specs on. Came over not with the wads of cash etc and are having to work as much as UK. Struggled quite a bit homesickness wise etc. but getting there. So I suppose if you come with them on you're bound to get those specs knocked off at some point.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scratch beyond the surface of Australia

And it gets ugly.

well that's a shame WB, how long have you been in Oz
Old Jul 26th 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Never really had the rose tinted specs on. Came over not with the wads of cash etc and are having to work as much as UK. Struggled quite a bit homesickness wise etc. but getting there. So I suppose if you come with them on you're bound to get those specs knocked off at some point.

Cheers

Ginny
same here really ...........didnt come with glasses and thought even its as bad as england-it sunny!

i guess thats as deep as it went for me-sorry!

hugs geex
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:09 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gina
same here really ...........didnt come with glasses and thought even its as bad as england-it sunny!

i guess thats as deep as it went for me-sorry!

hugs geex
Yes, I felt like that when I had just arrived and just got a job.
Come back in three or four years and tell me what you think.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I felt like that when I had just arrived and just got a job.
Come back in three or four years and tell me what you think.
well when youve lived in manchester and worked where i worked..........lifes what you make it!

there are many many places worse!

hugs geex
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:28 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

And it gets ugly.

It's a *hell* of a lot worse here than I thought before emigrating. Having worked in Australia on and off and visted dozens of times I thought I'd got the place taped but Boy was I wrong.

The best advice I can give to anyone wanting to come here is to look very very hard at what your priorities are.

If all you want out of life is to get ratted every day and surf then you might get on well. If you want to live some sort of reasonable life you will need to be very careful where you settle - the problems of drugs, vandalism, violence and widespread dangerous driving are all over and it's not easy to pick a more reasonable area to live.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

whoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
It's a *hell* of a lot worse here than I thought before emigrating. Having worked in Australia on and off and visted dozens of times I thought I'd got the place taped but Boy was I wrong.

The best advice I can give to anyone wanting to come here is to look very very hard at what your priorities are.

If all you want out of life is to get ratted every day and surf then you might get on well. If you want to live some sort of reasonable life you will need to be very careful where you settle - the problems of drugs, vandalism, violence and widespread dangerous driving are all over and it's not easy to pick a more reasonable area to live.
I really don't understand what you people expected? This is so weird... of course in Australia there is normal anti social behaviour: drugs, crime, violence, chavs. That kind of stuff is everywhere.

All you need to do is pick a nice suburb and stick to it if you can't handle seeing these kinds of things. It's the same as England... you pick a good area to live in and there you find like minded people.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:27 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

All in Toowong? You have got Ziggy, though.

I don't really watch TV as 7,9 & 10 seem to be aimed at people who would find the Sun newspaper difficult to read. They give a much distorted view of Australia. Not that these problems aren't here, just the previous poster said, if you can find a nice suburb, these problems won't affect your day to day life.

Jane
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:39 pm

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about

People soon forget why they moved.
If you keep looking back you'll never move forward
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:43 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whoever
I really don't understand what you people expected? This is so weird... of course in Australia there is normal anti social behaviour: drugs, crime, violence, chavs. That kind of stuff is everywhere.

All you need to do is pick a nice suburb and stick to it if you can't handle seeing these kinds of things. It's the same as England... you pick a good area to live in and there you find like minded people.
Dare I say, you get used to it on this forum. But you'll get slagged off for expressing such a viewpoint - that, god forbid, humans are pretty much alike anywhere on the planet. Most of 'em don't deserve the opportunity to emigrate ...
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hutch
Dare I say, you get used to it on this forum. But you'll get slagged off for expressing such a viewpoint - that, god forbid, humans are pretty much alike anywhere on the planet. Most of 'em don't deserve the opportunity to emigrate ...

i agree totally having a view piont as we all do! is great!
but as most of us have sat on both sides of the fence in any given situation-

as we say it "the grass isnt/is greener" it what you choose to see it as!

or the glass is half full/empty?

god ive confussed myself now

anyway gud luck to all of you coming..........for what ever reason, it may not be better or worse than england but the sun sure is nice!

hugs geex
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:14 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take my chances with my Aussie mates. I always wear rose tinted specs - its called having a positive attitude. Doesn't mean I dont see the problems, it means I get on and work through them.

I really do wonder if people coming on their reccies actually do anything apart from an extended holiday. All the comments seem to be how "Oh it was such a big surprise to find...".

My advice is get on with it, your either creating or solving a problem.

Kiwi
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

whoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thebears
I'll take my chances with my Aussie mates. I always wear rose tinted specs - its called having a positive attitude. Doesn't mean I dont see the problems, it means I get on and work through them.

I really do wonder if people coming on their reccies actually do anything apart from an extended holiday. All the comments seem to be how "Oh it was such a big surprise to find...".

My advice is get on with it, your either creating or solving a problem.

Kiwi

Yea... it's amazing what people are expecting. Australia is a beautiful country etc. but it's still got all the negative things in life there.

I love that attitude (creating a problem or solving one).
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Check both eyes and ye shall see.

There are opposites at play today.
Attached Thumbnails Scratch beyond the surface of Australia-yin.gif  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.