Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence

Scottish Independence

Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:03 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Cut it out the lot of you and get back on topic.
Yeah - it's no fun when there's no jock bashing anymore.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:07 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Yeah - it's no fun when there's no jock bashing anymore.
I'll try and get it back on topic. There was an interesting piece in The Guardian this weekend:

Who most wants independence for Scotland?

That's an entirely freaky picture of Alex Salmond at the top too...

S
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:14 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I'll try and get it back on topic. There was an interesting piece in The Guardian this weekend:

Who most wants independence for Scotland?

That's an entirely freaky picture of Alex Salmond at the top too...

S
You got it back on topic but gone off again.We're on freaky pictures now!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:39 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
You got it back on topic but gone off again.We're on freaky pictures now!

Sorry. I'm just not sure I could ever trust anybody with that many chins...

S
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:29 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Sorry. I'm just not sure I could ever trust anybody with that many chins...

S

I'm thinking Mr Potato Head.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ukecadet
thumbup:like the site.A friend of mine has a regular liaison with a prostitute when ever he visits Melbourne.She needed some building work doing and he gave her my number.He rang me with this brief.'If she asks what I do,tell her I'm a colonel in the parachute regiment.' He was actually a captain(dentist) in the Australian Army.Sad git.
I know I feel rather sorry for them to be honest, even after that sickening comment but yeah....... back on topic.

Apologies Scottishcelts I'm sure you do know your history and you know
Gaelic which is quite impressive but Alex Salmond... way to many chins!

Needs to stay off the neaps and tatties or the deep fried mars bars!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:57 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exsquaddie
I know I feel rather sorry for them to be honest, even after that sickening comment but yeah....... back on topic.

Apologies Scottishcelts I'm sure you do know your history and you know
Gaelic which is quite impressive but Alex Salmond... way to many chins!

Needs to stay off the neaps and tatties or the deep fried mars bars!
yir still no half of anythin
bet yir english!!!!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:02 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
You can read up on all your statistics all you like, but you can't judge because you don't live there. Most Scottish people I know would have jumped at the chance to learn Gaelic. It's something that is spoken about quite a lot and has been over the years.
Jings!! 20 pages, so I guess it's about time I joined in the fray...

Contrary to what a lot of people, (mostly Scottish) think, Gaelic is not, and never was the language that all of Scotland used to speak. Gaelic is/was the language of the Gaels, and was mostly spoken in the West Highlands and some parts of Galloway.

Lowland Scottish people (like me) spoke Scots, which for want of a good example, is the language that Robert Burns wrote in. So that includes places like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, Falkirk, Dundee, Ayrshire, and most of the Borders. In the Aberdeen / Peterhead area they spoke a mixture of Scots and Doric.

Most Scottish people, particularly from the lowlands, still speak a watered down version of Old Scots, so this romanticised notion that we have all somehow 'lost' Gaelic is wrong. The vast majority of us still speak in a way that our ancestors of 3 or 4 hundred years ago wouldn't have much trouble understanding.

Right! That's enough from me for now... I'm off to find a soap box, and then I'll start on what I think about Scottish independence...
Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.scotslanguage.com/books/view/2/
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:08 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

How do you expect to gain independence, if you can't even agree what language you speak?
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Non Sequitur.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:20 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Cool link... Cheers. I haven't seen that site before.
Oh well... That's my morning snookered for an hour or so while I have a look at it.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:03 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, well the current Salmond brainwave is that they keep the pound, and that the Bank of England would still be lender of last resort to the newly independent scots (I know, fat chance...).

Maybe he will have a similar idea on 'scots'? Maybe they will keep the tenuous connections to English and expect the OED to modify its entries to match the butchered verbiage of Burns?

Frankly nothing would surprise me at the moment - the la-la-land ideas coming out of the SNP about how the world will warp itself to their desires of what reality 'ought to be' are getting progressively further from what is going to happen.

It's going to be unpleasant for them when they wake up.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by soapy©
yir still no half of anythin
bet yir english!!!!
verbal pish mun! am Engerlottish!!! How's aboot I shtart typing like thish or Shean Connery???
Old Feb 1st 2012, 4:15 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exsquaddie
verbal pish mun! am Engerlottish!!! How's aboot I shtart typing like thish or Shean Connery???
How's about you just wear a pair of lacy knickers on your head

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.