Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Scottish - enemies if freedom and justice.... somehow

Scottish - enemies if freedom and justice.... somehow

Old Aug 19th 2014, 10:25 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish - enemies if freedom and justice.... somehow

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
He didn't say that though, did he? His statement might have meant a broader scope of people who want Scotland to become independent, but that does actually include the Scottish people. If he meant everyone other than the Scottish yes voters, then a PM who was better educated on the subject would have said so. Unfortunately, he's not smart enough to do that.
I put it down to bad presentation. Reading the offending paragraph, he begins by referring to people and ends it referring to countries. He has no excuse for the bad presentation, but he is of a more diplomatic tradition so I conclude that offending the Scottish people was not what he intended and he wasn't referring to the voters in a scornful way. Its what I make of it, but given his lack of clarity each person can and will interpret it to fit whatever suits them.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm educated in information technology. I'm not educated in marine biology. If I tell a marine biologist what they are doing wrong, that shows me to be uneducated. Tony Abbot clearly shows his lack of education on matters of freedom, justice and a democratic voting system. Which is bloody scary considering he is running this country.
But you are also very good and potentially educated in taking a small topic, magnifying it, twisting it, and presenting in a light that suits your cause. You are undersold in IT.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I put it down to bad presentation. Reading the offending paragraph, he begins by referring to people and ends it referring to countries. He has no excuse for the bad presentation, but he is of a more diplomatic tradition so I conclude that offending the Scottish people was not what he intended and he wasn't referring to the voters in a scornful way. Its what I make of it, but given his lack of clarity each person can and will interpret it to fit whatever suits them.
If that was the case then any other leader would have came out and clarified their words as that would be a massive mistake. Abbot has not made any such effort so I think you're doing yourself no favours by trying to read something that he clearly didn't say. I believe he meant exactly what he said as he is a loyal subject to the Queen and seems to be more British than Australian.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If that was the case then any other leader would have came out and clarified their words as that would be a massive mistake. Abbot has not made any such effort so I think you're doing yourself no favours by trying to read something that he clearly didn't say. I believe he meant exactly what he said as he is a loyal subject to the Queen and seems to be more British than Australian.
Details
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:00 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I was querying Abbott being described as uneducated; not referring to his comments.

Tony Abbott's Oxford transcript released

Looks like he should have tried harder...

Apparently there are some murmurings that Tony hasn't renounced his UK citizenship - which would of course make him ineligible to be an MP. An acquaintance of mine is doing some research with the National Archives to obtain copies of his renouncement paperwork.

I'd find it rather amusing if he were to be dethroned over such a technicality

S
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

An acquaintance of mine is doing some research with the National Archives to obtain copies of his renouncement paperwork.
Why?

He's not trying to do some kind of Obama/Kenya bullshit is he?
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:22 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Why?

He's not trying to do some kind of Obama/Kenya bullshit is he?

Yes, that is exactly what he's doing...

S
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

S
Interesting that Abbott lived in Australia for more than 20 years before applying for Aus citizenship...seems he only did so to qualify for the Rhodes scholarship.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

S
bizarre
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Details
Of what?
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Of what?
just details
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like he should have tried harder...

Apparently there are some murmurings that Tony hasn't renounced his UK citizenship - which would of course make him ineligible to be an MP. An acquaintance of mine is doing some research with the National Archives to obtain copies of his renouncement paperwork.

I'd find it rather amusing if he were to be dethroned over such a technicality

S
Are you saying you can't be an MP if you hold dual citizenship?
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Correct.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:43 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Beoz
Nope, you have to renounce all other citizenships to be an Australian MP:

Dual citizens are specifically bared from standing Sykes v Cleary (1992) 176 ClR 77

S
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Nope, you have to renounce all other citizenships to be an Australian MP:

Dual citizens are specifically bared from standing Sykes v Cleary (1992) 176 ClR 77

S
Or:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_v_Hill
...apparently even in 1998 there is some debate about whether the UK is a 'foreign power'!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.