Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Scotland and Independance

Scotland and Independance

Old Sep 7th 2014, 1:09 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland and Independance

Originally Posted by saor alba
For the past two years , my countrymen have read ignorant, uneducated, ill-informed, vitriolic comments on the Telegraph, The Daily Mail,The Guardian, The Independent etc etc.
For the past two year sane voices have been pointing out there is no plan, no agreed partnerships/memberships etc. and thus there is a virtual guarantee of screw up (>95%).

What they've had is idiot statements about 'project fear' - for pointing out cold hard facts that are indisputable.

It's like pointing out to someone that "find the lady" is rigged; and having that idiot accuse you of being a killjoy.

No more Weapons Of Mass Destruction on the Clyde, no more austerity, no more Barnett Formula, more investment in Green Technologies, no more Bedroom Tax, more investment in FREE education, MORE immigration,no privatisation of NHS etc etc.
Could there be someone any more naive? Services have to be paid for, and the SNP have already said they are going to try and undercut the UK on corporation tax - result is higher taxes or less services. There are no other options, since the finance community isn't going to trust them with any more debt than they will already have.

Oh, and if the SNP wants membership of NATO, it's going to agree to have the subs on the clyde, probably to the end of their natural life (2028 I think).

The icing on the cake......1,3 Trillion barrels of oil from the NEW fields on the west coast and Shetland( Google UK Oil and Gas reports).
Outright, utter b*ll*cks.

The amount of oil coming out the north sea is going down over the short and medium term time horizons (currently declining by 10% pa) - and thus the tax take (it will be less than $4bn on a total economy of $65bn). Forget all that guff on 'vast new fields' - actions of the oil companies are distinctly luke warm at best. And that's another one of them facts.

That's why the vote, and why devo-max wasn't on the ballot. Cameron was the one that didn't want it on the ballot, knowing it would be the most supported options. He wants shot of the scots.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No they won't. Because most Scots are not that daft.

Now if it were the English who got to vote for Scottish independence, I am sure that it would be a close run thing.
I assume you have seen this map of sentiment in this farce?
Red='no', blue='yes'.

Old Sep 7th 2014, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

I assume you have seen this map of sentiment in this farce?
Red='no', blue='yes'.

http://i.imgur.com/91WSdcB.jpg
What a stupid representation, what is a dot supposed to represent anyway - individuals who are interested?

And why would you assume that I have seen it before, what a strange thing to say.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 1:35 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

This is amusing.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 1:36 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

What a stupid representation, what is a dot supposed to represent anyway - individuals who are interested?

And why would you assume that I have seen it before, what a strange thing to say.
It's the view of the person in the location when surveyed - it shows the geographic clustering of the viewpoints (which are interesting). And its been doing the rounds so you might well have seen it before (obviously not).
Old Sep 7th 2014, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
It's the view of the person in the location when surveyed - it shows the geographic clustering of the viewpoints (which are interesting). And its been doing the rounds so you might well have seen it before (obviously not).
So it is the view point of an individual? No I had not seen it, as I have not been paying much attention to the debate - mainly because I think the conclusion is a given (i.e. No).
Old Sep 7th 2014, 2:02 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
If 'Yes' wins will it be because for the last two years schools have indoctrinated students in the paramount need to vote 'Yes'?
Whit?

Where did this fresh hell come from?
Old Sep 7th 2014, 2:04 am

No they won't. Because most Scots are not that daft.

Now if it were the English who got to vote for Scottish independence, I am sure that it would be a close run thing.

Not that yer delusional or oubt.

(Scotland are voting yes as they no longer want to be a burden on you anymore).
Old Sep 7th 2014, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=paulry;11395127]I wasn't aware of that but it would explain the drive to get the voting age reduced to 16.

Are you not aware that when you turn 16, under Scots Law, you are classed as and adult?
Old Sep 7th 2014, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

Says I can't give you karma but had to tell you that I loved it!
Old Sep 7th 2014, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Whit?

Ignorance of the subject matter.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't care enough to be delusional to be honest. Happy for Scotland to do whatever it wants to do, I just believe that wish will be to remain part of the union.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 4:46 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Whit?

From my mate who works at Faslane & who has 3 school aged kids, two 16 yr olds & a nearly 18 yr old. He's been doing a fair bit of complaining about the supposed impartiality of school teachers in politics on social media. Mind even though he's a proud Scot he stands to lose his job if it's a Yes vote so he's hardly impartial. His wife will lose her job as well.
Me I don't care, I think you could easily ensure a Yes vote if they gave the English a vote
Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by cresta57
From my mate who works at Faslane & who has 3 school aged kids, two 16 yr olds & a nearly 18 yr old. He's been doing a fair bit of complaining about the supposed impartiality of school teachers in politics on social media. Mind even though he's a proud Scot he stands to lose his job if it's a Yes vote so he's hardly impartial. His wife will lose her job as well.
Me I don't care, I think you could easily ensure a Yes vote if they gave the English a vote
In part that's why I posted the map pic above.

The split on the vote seems to be on the basis of 'urban, disaffected and economically disadvantaged' - those areas with a reason to hate the tories are the ones where its more pro-split.

Very surprisingly, it's pretty similar north of the border as well. Support for independence seems to be limited to that lowlands Edinburgh<>Glasgow corridor - and not all of that either. The rest of the country is much more equivocal. Problem is, that one small area has most of the population as well (does this sound like London and the rest of England?).

I therefore concluded that this isn't on the basis of "does the independence plan make sense", or even "what's best for scotland going forward"; but instead is a vote on tory misrule.

Which, when you consider that a 'yes' vote is what Cameron wants, would be quite funny if it weren't so serious.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:55 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

On a practical note, who will be the acting head of state? Will it be the monarch or an appointed governor-general?

How will Scottish citizenship be defined? Will there be an open border between Scotland and the rest of the island?

If Scotland joins the EU, will they be allowed to use their own currency?
Old Sep 7th 2014, 7:59 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by commonwealth
On a practical note, who will be the acting head of state? Will it be the monarch or an appointed governor-general?
Queenie

How will Scottish citizenship be defined? Will there be an open border between Scotland and the rest of the island?
I think they will be quite broad in the definition of citizenship (residency, birth, decent) - but there is a good chance that the border will be real and manned - if for no other reason than its been mooted they'll need currency controls on 19th Sept if the result goes the wrong way.

If Scotland joins the EU, will they be allowed to use their own currency?
EU says you have to join the Euro, eventually. Scotland's problem is that they wouldn't be allowed to join right away (EU or Euro) - which leaves them in a hole. Obviously once they did join, they'd have all their budgets controlled from Berlin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.