Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Scotland and Independance

Scotland and Independance

Old Nov 7th 2014, 8:32 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland and Independance

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
If was you who made the Salmond effigy for burning wasn't it?
No but I'd chip in some petrol money if they were burning the real one...........
Old Nov 7th 2014, 9:11 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

If was you who made the Salmond effigy for burning wasn't it?
They didn't burn it, they blew it up

BBC News - Alex Salmond effigy was blown up in Lewes

Personally I think they should have put a burner under it and let the hot air float it away, on fire. Would have been appropriate...

Originally Posted by Gibbo
No, Cresta, we didn't lose. It was not only Scots who voted. There is a very large number of English residents in Scotland and apparently 74% of them voted no.
Better say thank you then.

You'll note that those scots who had got whilst the getting was good weren't allowed to vote. I wonder why ....

Unless you can say that the majority of Scots voted no you cannot say that we lost. You may not like it, why I don't know, but many Scots want free of the Union and the unrest will go on until that happens.
Many scots were off their heads. The complete lack of any viable plan should have meant only the insane voted yes. Maybe they did.

Scotland won, it didn't jump off the cliff.

So many English people take this personally, why I don't know. All we want is to again make our own decisions for our own country. What is wrong with that? We should never have been in this position but unfortunately we can't change history.
Actually most English were hoping you'd save yourselves from yourselves - and luckily, you did.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 11:00 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

No, Cresta, we didn't lose. It was not only Scots who voted. There is a very large number of English residents in Scotland and apparently 74% of them voted no. Unless you can say that the majority of Scots voted no you cannot say that we lost. You may not like it, why I don't know, but many Scots want free of the Union and the unrest will go on until that happens.
So many English people take this personally, why I don't know. All we want is to again make our own decisions for our own country. What is wrong with that? We should never have been in this position but unfortunately we can't change history.
No you lost end of. Bash your gums as much as you like but no matter what spin you attempt to put on it you lost. Maybe next time you could not only indoctrinate the school kids but also exclude any non gingers from voting and anyone that doesn't have at least 6 generations of Scots ancestry, that should do it for you
It amuses me that for someone so passionate about Scotland you abandoned it for Australia, then want to exclude those that make their home in Scotland exempt from voting. They obviously like Scotland more than you as they choose to live there. Seems quite unfair don't you think?
Old Nov 7th 2014, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
No you lost end of. Bash your gums as much as you like but no matter what spin you attempt to put on it you lost. Maybe next time you could not only indoctrinate the school kids but also exclude any non gingers from voting and anyone that doesn't have at least 6 generations of Scots ancestry, that should do it for you
It amuses me that for someone so passionate about Scotland you abandoned it for Australia, then want to exclude those that make their home in Scotland exempt from voting. They obviously like Scotland more than you as they choose to live there. Seems quite unfair don't you think?
I read once about the 'double nostalgia' of the Irish - those in Ireland dreamt of emigrating to the new lands whilst those who had did the shamrock, Danny Boy, St Patrick's Day parade, Boston Celtics bit, largely funded the fight against the British occupation and badly missed their homeland. One of the ironies of this emigration caper is that the grass always seems greener on the other side but when you are on the other side the same applies.

Last edited by OzTennis; Nov 7th 2014 at 3:08 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I didn't abandon anything.Please comment on what you know, not what you assume.I still don't understand why you are so worked up about it. It doesn't affect you in anyway: your country will still be intact in the event of Scots Independence. Also, teachers were told not to mention the referendum to pupils and according to pupils they did not, but the pupils did discuss it amongst themselves. I don't suppose you will believe that but I really don't care.