Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Scotland and Independance

Scotland and Independance

Old Sep 7th 2014, 10:12 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland and Independance

Originally Posted by GarryP
You think so?

I'd suggest not giving those revolting scots an inch would bolster his position enormously...
I could be wrong, but I think a part of what Fish is referring to is the backlash to Cameron as the person who led the government when they failed to persuade the Scots to stay with the UK. Responsible or not, he will become the scapegoat.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 11:57 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I could be wrong, but I think a part of what Fish is referring to is the backlash to Cameron as the person who led the government when they failed to persuade the Scots to stay with the UK. Responsible or not, he will become the scapegoat.
That's assuming he doesn't share with the backbenchers his reasoning for working towards a yes vote, and how it's planned to play out. Hell, he only needs to make sure the movers/shakers are onside to be safe (until the election that is - the real question is how the tories plan to present themselves then).
Old Sep 8th 2014, 6:58 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

So how do you think the GBP/AUD rate will fare if Yes wins?

Should I book holidays soon?

And with euro QE happening it's good for a Euro side trip as well.

win!!!

Last edited by commonwealth; Sep 8th 2014 at 7:00 am.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 7:54 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
So how do you think the GBP/AUD rate will fare if Yes wins?
It will tank on the uncertainty, as its already doing on the possibility. However, expect lots of cash to move south of the border quickly as those who voted "no" and half those who voted "yes" look to safeguard their savings. They are already talking about currency control to stop a run on the liquidity of scotland - so notes will be in short supply.

Edit : See http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29103437

Should I book holidays soon?
Kind of depends where to. New Zealand will be nice. It always amazes me how few aussies go there.

And with euro QE happening it's good for a Euro side trip as well.

win!!!
May I recommend Greece ?

Last edited by GarryP; Sep 8th 2014 at 8:14 am.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:53 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
From my mate who works at Faslane & who has 3 school aged kids, two 16 yr olds & a nearly 18 yr old. He's been doing a fair bit of complaining about the supposed impartiality of school teachers in politics on social media. Mind even though he's a proud Scot he stands to lose his job if it's a Yes vote so he's hardly impartial. His wife will lose her job as well.
Me I don't care, I think you could easily ensure a Yes vote if they gave the English a vote
This is why it would be better if England got a vote as well
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:55 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

On a practical note, who will be the acting head of state? Will it be the monarch or an appointed governor-general?

How will Scottish citizenship be defined? Will there be an open border between Scotland and the rest of the island?

If Scotland joins the EU, will they be allowed to use their own currency?
Billy Connolly obviously
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand will be nice. It always amazes me how few aussies go there.
Fair few...1.2 million aussies a year...45% of NZ's total tourists numbers as you would expect...
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:59 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

yeah just go to Queenstown - full of Ozzies! and the cost of living in that part of NZ is Australian level!
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:01 am
Daffyd Duck

Apparently there are more people in Scotland than New Zealand!
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by fish.01
Fair few...1.2 million aussies a year...45% of NZ's total tourists numbers as you would expect...
I've not met anyone here saying "I'm going to NZ for a holiday". I don't know, maybe it's the equivalent of saying "I'm going to Blackpool", no cred?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I've not met anyone here saying "I'm going to NZ for a holiday". I don't know, maybe it's the equivalent of saying "I'm going to Blackpool", no cred?
Most I know have done it and talk about it positively...RV trip, skiing, city break, cruise etc...would have thought from the eastern states it was a normal kind of thing to do so maybe that's it...also seems more popular with very aussie aussies iykwim?...different if you live in Perth of course...funny, by coincidence just as I am typing this my wife has just leant over and said wow it's a lot dearer to fly to NZ from Adelaide.

She's looking at current Air Nz specials btw and it is $159 one way sans bag from all the eastern states and $249 from Adelaide. They don't list flights from perth.

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 8th 2014 at 8:41 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 2:39 am
Daffyd Duck

From SYD its cheaper to fly to NZ than PER
Old Sep 9th 2014, 3:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

yeah just go to Queenstown - full of Ozzies! and the cost of living in that part of NZ is Australian level!
The COL in NZ in general is at Australian levels - without Australian wages
Old Sep 9th 2014, 3:31 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

That's assuming he doesn't share with the backbenchers his reasoning for working towards a yes vote, and how it's planned to play out. Hell, he only needs to make sure the movers/shakers are onside to be safe (until the election that is - the real question is how the tories plan to present themselves then).
Do you really think that might have been his plan all along? It would explain the piss poor "Better Together" campaign. And broken up, weakened independent British states will be easier for the EU to absorb as well.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 5:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Do you really think that might have been his plan all along? It would explain the piss poor "Better Together" campaign. And broken up, weakened independent British states will be easier for the EU to absorb as well.

Maybe right. Why did Cameron allow a referendum in the first place?

He could have just said no - like all the PMs before him

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.