The Sci-fi thread

Old Dec 22nd 2015, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sci-fi thread

Originally Posted by GarryP
Real space stuff, with SpaceX launch (in 15 mins from now) :

SpaceX | Webcast

Can they land the first stage back on land ?

----

Yes, it appears - and the crowd went wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5bT...tu.be&t=41m46s

Minute 42 for the stage 1 landing
Amazing.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 2:19 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Amazing.
Kind of ridiculous how this, which is legitimate news that will have a significant impact, gets virtually no coverage on the news sites. Yet Miss Universe announcing the wrong winner (probably to get some publicity for something that's past its time) is all over the front pages.

Old Dec 22nd 2015, 3:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing.
Yes, incredible

Like you and I, another great Saffa
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 4:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I suffered it until the end. Poorly crafted. My teenage daughter walked out half-way through it.
I enjoyed it and it was very well made - apart from some plot holes
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 4:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by astera
So did JJ Abrams manage to turn it into a pick of muck like he did with Star Trek or did he actually do a good job with Star Wars?
Good job

4/5
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 4:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Kim67
I thought the new Star Wars was great - took me back to my childhood (have never sat and watched the prequels all the way through as to me they're not Star Wars). The storyline was a bit basic and so much like the originals, but I'm hoping that's just to bring new Star Wars fans up to date with what's happened previously and open the way up for a more sophisticated storyline in the next episode.
Yes, it definitely pays homage to the original trilogy
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of ridiculous how this, which is legitimate news that will have a significant impact, gets virtually no coverage on the news sites. Yet Miss Universe announcing the wrong winner (probably to get some publicity for something that's past its time) is all over the front pages.

Yep, indeed, but amazingly heaps of models on FB groups have posted that story today - the rocket returning to Earth, not the Miss Universe one. Go figure.

Last edited by Alfresco; Dec 22nd 2015 at 5:55 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes, incredible

Like you and I, another great Saffa
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 6:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Yep, indeed, but amazingly heaps of models on FB groups have posted that story today - the rocket returning to Earth, not the Miss Universe one. Go figure.
Loads of news articles about the landing on the net today
Old Jan 9th 2016, 1:56 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

The Shannara Chronicles.
Foxtel SyFi channel.
Jan 16th 7.30pm AEDT.

Author Terry Brooks has written roughly 30 novels about his Shannara world and this adaptation is based on The Elfstones of Shannara.

I read the very first book in the series The Sword of Shannara back in the late 70's and remember thinking it was every bit as good as Lord of the Rings.

Looking forward to checking this new series.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 1:02 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

SpaceX have finally gotten their first stage to land successfully back on the ocean drone ship "Of Course I Still Love You", in what looks like a fair amount of swell. If they can get this to be routine, they can reuse the engines and make each launch much cheaper. Also needed for their eventual Mars target (they'd need to land rockets there too).

Old Apr 9th 2016, 10:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes, it definitely pays homage to the original trilogy

Honestly I thought that too, but on reflection later, I felt as little disappointed. I must admit after the Star Trek films, I was never a big fan of Abrams, so not looking really forward to " Episode 8 - Rogue One". The writers used too may cliched lines from the first three film and even George Lucas was not happy that they hired Abrams and ditched his (Lucas) plots for episodes 7, 8 and 9 and revised them to suit the Disney take on it. The acting too seemed pretty second-rate compared to the originals.

It took the "Luke Skywalker" character 3 films to develop into a Jedi, but the female lead character (probably his daughter) managed to do it within 75% of the movie.....

Last edited by The Bloke; Apr 9th 2016 at 11:06 am.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 11:58 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

SpaceX have finally gotten their first stage to land successfully back on the ocean drone ship "Of Course I Still Love You", in what looks like a fair amount of swell. If they can get this to be routine, they can reuse the engines and make each launch much cheaper. Also needed for their eventual Mars target (they'd need to land rockets there too).

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/tjS.../landing.0.gif
Here's the tidied up video of the landing :

Just a little context, the barge is as big as a football pitch, and the rocket is 14 storeys tall.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

And here's what happens when they 'explore the envelope', muck it up, and run out of fuel at the last moment :

you can see it hover too high, and topple after touching down.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And here's what happens when they 'explore the envelope', muck it up, and run out of fuel at the last moment :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ilfd6H1Kp0

you can see it hover too high, and topple after touching down.
Whoah!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.