Wikiposts

schools

Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:18 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: schools

My daughter goes to a Catholic Primary school, uniform cost is approximately $250 plus footwear - that includes several changes as I'm a nightmare when it comes to remember to make sure that clothes are washed, dried and ironed!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Just so the person with the original question understands, the uniform cost is somewhat different between private and State schools

State school uniform can be $100 for everything (based on our daughters state uniform when she went).

Private school uniforms however.... the hat $90, the Blaser $180, the tie $9
and it continues................... The school bag $90... the sports bag $60.. etc
Allocate about a $1,000 and you may have some change.
And when you say "the hat", at a private girls school my daughter attended, that meant, summer dress hat, winter dress hat and play hat (but that was half the price).
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of

Just so the person with the original question understands, the uniform cost is somewhat different between private and State schools

State school uniform can be $100 for everything (based on our daughters state uniform when she went).

Private school uniforms however.... the hat $90, the Blaser $180, the tie $9
and it continues................... The school bag $90... the sports bag $60.. etc
Allocate about a $1,000 and you may have some change.
We didn't have to pay anywhere near those prices but the cost of uniforms, varies from school to school.

Allyson

Last edited by Dazza49; Apr 20th 2009 at 5:43 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Josieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really niceJosieanne is just really nice

I'd love to know why you think teachers at the private schools are better. Did you know that the private teachers pay is based on the pay negotiated by state school teachers? Most teachers graduate from the same four unis in Qld, - the majority apply to work in state. The private sector is their second choice. There are so many teachers who wouldn't work in a private school if you paid them huge amounts.

A few years ago in Queensland, state school teachers in Qld who where burnt out or decided they couldn't cope were offered $50 000 to career change. Only catch is that could never work in the state system again - even as a relief teacher. Of course, that didn't stop a whole whack of them moving to the private sector. So, couldn't hack it in state but they privates would take them.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Josieanne
Of course, that didn't stop a whole whack of them moving to the private sector. So, couldn't hack it in state but they privates would take them.
Does that indicate that the children are better behaved in private schools, less trouble for the Teachers ?

Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:37 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by donki
just reading a thread about schools and the religious connection. Is this a big thing in Aus? would you mind explaining. thanks
Our girls go to a Catholic school here. Lots more RE taught than in their Catholic school in UK. Wouldn't mind but they should really spend the 20 mins a day that they spend on RE on maybe maths as the general academic standard of the school isn't great.

We're quite happy for them to be taught RE but not at the cost of their general education.

Behaviour standards aren't great either maybe down to inexperienced staff who can't handle a class. I'm presuming the state schools are better as I can't imagine it being worse.

In hindsight we wish we'd looked at a wider range of schools. We didn't as we'd heard that the Church schools reputation was very good. Live and learn I guess! Won't make the same mistake again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that don't presume the Church schools are better than the state ones.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:02 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by al150n
Can I ask how much it costs to put a child through state school? It's not even crossed my mind to send the kids to private schools & have been looking at websites this morning for the local schools where we're intending to move to next year. I was quite shocked to find out my son who's starting pre-school tomorrow will be back at home with me for a while once we move before he can start kindergarten in 2011 It's not so bad for my daughter as she'll just get an extra few months of 4+ (but Aussie version) before starting in year 1 in 2011.

Alison x
I would suggest putting your childs name down at a C&K for wherever you are moving to (if you know that is).
http://www.candk.asn.au/Preschooling...enpreprep.aspx

You have to pay for it but it really is excellent and a great start to school. My daughter went last year when she was 4 and she attended 2 days a week. It was $20 a day minus any Centrelink benefits you might be entitled to. Our centre had the option of 2 days a week or 3.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

http://www.qics.qld.edu.au/facts.html

Catholic schools that aren't private are called systemic schools, which mean they try to keep the school fees as low as possible. They're nowhere near the cost of private school fees, usually a few hundred dollars or less per term per child (fee decreases for 2nd and 3rd children). Your 4th and subsequent children are free from paying school fees at systemic Catholic schools.

And don't forget that most schools will have a clothing pool. We have one at our primary school and the clothes are in excellent condition, especially the small and large sizes because they're hardly worn. My son's high school also has second hand clothing for sale through the office. The blazers are all dry cleaned and sell for $80, brand new $250, so you can make huge savings.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by K14
... they should really spend the 20 mins a day that they spend on RE on maybe maths as the general academic standard of the school isn't great.

We're quite happy for them to be taught RE but not at the cost of their general education.
But that's the whole reason you send your child to a religious school, to be taught religion in class. What portion of the day then are you happy for them to be taught RE? You can't get much done in under 20 mins.

It sounds like your school may be under-performing. Our Catholic primary school that my kids attend also has regular Mass and prayer time as well as RE during the day, and academically performs generally higher than the NSW state average. We also have a number of students in state-rep sports teams. Perhaps you should consider changing to another Catholic school, or a public school if you don't like the amount of RE taught. It's worth checking stats/school results of various schools. You may find you're happier with another Catholic school based on their statistics.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
But that's the whole reason you send your child to a religious school, to be taught religion in class.
I fully agree with that, if you say "To a Catholic School" as they are generally highly religious.
However, from our experience, the other religion group schools tend not to be as religious as the Catholic schools.

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I fully agree with that, if you say "To a Catholic School" as they are generally highly religious.
However, from our experience, the other religion group schools tend not to be as religious as the Catholic schools.
I went through the Catholic system and I didn't find them that religious. Granted it was a while ago but I would assume the world is getting more secular not less and the schools with it.

They had a quick prayer in the morning and we occasionally went to mass on special occasions. In high school we learnt about all religions and had no specific Catholic instruction at all that I can remember (apart from the general ethos of the school being about good values etc).

In primary they obviously make a big deal about first holy communion and stuff like that but talking to my niece she said they announced in her Catholic primary that around 40% of students and staff were not Catholic. A lot of people like them because they are often good schools with a nice community feeling. You do not have to be Catholic to attend (or lie about it)....it just means a Catholic would get preference if they are full.

When I graduated I was a good atheist so they did something right Obviously things would vary school to school...
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Wow.... alternatively you could say:

State schools: - Very low cost, but mainly high standards.... Some areas better teacher/student ratios than private sector (ACT? I think), many outperform their private counterparts academically. Unfortunately these are permeated by Christian organisations and you may struggle to iron out the indoctrination your kids will get from non-teacher based "Religious Instruction" classes (these are usualy non-compulsory - but if 23 of 24 kids in a class do them how will your kids react to being the odd one out?)

Expensive Private Schools: The only truly secular option available. Very high costs ($12k-$20k) and some with known issues with bullying/drugs etc.. Good academic results (even better than state schools) - but can you afford to withold all those educationaly valuable holidays and adventures that $20k a year can get you?....

Religious Private Schools: Cheaper than top-notch private school ($5-$8k) but in many cases with inferior academic results. Be prepared for intense religious bent to all areas of curriculum (DANGER: "Intelligent Design" lurks here in Science classes !!!!).

Now - I'm not saying the above is necessarily true in all areas of Australia - but parts are in some areas. Dont take anyones opinions from WWW about schools as gospel, they all vary all have strengths and weaknesses. For me the idea of sending my kids to a private school offends me so the choice is a no brainer (helped by living close to arguably the best state school in Brisbane). But there is a LOT of biassed opinionated rubbish out there (this post included).

Do your own research into schools in your area ask about SPECIFIC schools rather than asking for broad sweeping generalisations and eventually you may start to work out whats going to suit you!
, Not in SA or in Sydney.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:02 am
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
But that's the whole reason you send your child to a religious school, to be taught religion in class. What portion of the day then are you happy for them to be taught RE? You can't get much done in under 20 mins.

It sounds like your school may be under-performing. Our Catholic primary school that my kids attend also has regular Mass and prayer time as well as RE during the day, and academically performs generally higher than the NSW state average. We also have a number of students in state-rep sports teams. Perhaps you should consider changing to another Catholic school, or a public school if you don't like the amount of RE taught. It's worth checking stats/school results of various schools. You may find you're happier with another Catholic school based on their statistics.
You can probably tell from my post that I think our school is underperforming. The last Catholic school our girls were in taught re once or twice a week along with the usual prayer/masses etc. Yes I do get the point of sending them to a Catholic school is that they are taught about Catholicism. My problem is that the emphasis put on RE is more than the academic side which they obviously are not doing well at. The school doesn't seem to realise that they need to improve. My children are coming home from school saying they are bored and the school won't do much to help. I'm not the only parent who has the same problem.

As for other Catholic schools - well we looked at the one other in the area which wasn't great which is why we went for the one they're in. We can't get them in any other of the better schools in the area (Baptist, Anglican or anything) as there are waiting lists. We have decided to leave them where they are as apart from being bored and finding the work really easy they are happy and have lots of friends. We are due to go back to the UK next July anyway and I can't wait to get them back into their old school (yes Catholic too) which was great. At least they'll be learning something - and yes I'm quite happy with their praying/masses etc as I'm not a hypocrite.

The point of my earlier post was that just because it's a Church school doesn't automatically make it better than another school.