Reload this Page >

School Detentions in Australia

School Detentions in Australia

Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

virginiec will become famous soon enough
Default Re: School Detentions in Australia

Originally Posted by Weird Fish
Kids should be in school during school hours and parents who think that is ok for their kids to go out shopping or skip a class just because they don't like it is just insane. Life is full of stuff you don't like doing, tough, let the school give their detention without question. Surely the grounding for 2 weeks is more heavy handed than a 2 hour detention and is undermining the schools authority anyway. What will happen when she skips youth club to go out clubbing?
Why is grounding her undermining the school's authority? I would have thought that was backing up the school?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by virginiec
Why is grounding her undermining the school's authority? I would have thought that was backing up the school?
I was wondering that too as I would have thought it was reinforcing that what she did was unacceptable
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:18 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that double punishment though ?

Interesting thread.

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 16th 2008 at 10:21 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I was wondering that too as I would have thought it was reinforcing that what she did was unacceptable
Honestly I would probably have done the same thing and then regretted it, but I do think that it was strange that the OP said it seemed harsh and then dished out a greater punishment.

However, schools use discipline such as detention for consitency across the board. When additional punishment by parents happen one pupil will get detention and a talking to at home, one might get beaten, one might get grounded, one might loose their pocket money, all will be different. If the punishment at home outweighs the one given at school the kids will just think "who cares" about the detention and not take it seriously as they have it far worse at home. It's a bit like me punishing one of my kids at home and then Dad returns from work and punishes them again his own way, it basically says my punishment wasn't good enough and shows a lack of respect for me and isn't really supporting my authority.

All this aside as it is only my opinion and parenting is tough enough at the best of times, it doesn't mean you shouldn't do anything, if your daughter was anything like me "talking" about it would have been the worst punishment possible.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Weird Fish
Honestly I would probably have done the same thing and then regretted it, but I do think that it was strange that the OP said it seemed harsh and then dished out a greater punishment.

However, schools use discipline such as detention for consitency across the board. When additional punishment by parents happen one pupil will get detention and a talking to at home, one might get beaten, one might get grounded, one might loose their pocket money, all will be different. If the punishment at home outweighs the one given at school the kids will just think "who cares" about the detention and not take it seriously as they have it far worse at home. .
I felt it was important to back up the school in their disciplinary action-it was more the length of the detention which I thought was harsh.

I remember once at school, five of us decided to go and watch Wimbledon. Obviously the school twigged pretty easily as we were all really close. Three of the girls managed to convince their parents to write them a note. My parents thought I deserved whatever was coming to me.

Punishments were a lot more severe than a detention in those days.....
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I felt it was important to back up the school in their disciplinary action-it was more the length of the detention which I thought was harsh.

I remember once at school, five of us decided to go and watch Wimbledon. Obviously the school twigged pretty easily as we were all really close. Three of the girls managed to convince their parents to write them a note. My parents thought I deserved whatever was coming to me.

You dropped yourself in it with the comment relating the harshness of the punishment to the nature of the subject which she skipped.

You may have had more sympathetic comments if you'd simply said that 2 hours was a bit harsh for skipping school (although you wouldn't get any sympathy from me)

I reckon that most people with an ounce of common sense and an ounce of social responsibility would be supporting harsher not softer punishments given the problems caused by young people who don't show either respect for rules or an understanding of their responsibilities.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
You dropped yourself in it with the comment relating the harshness of the punishment to the nature of the subject which she skipped.

You may have had more sympathetic comments if you'd simply said that 2 hours was a bit harsh for skipping school (although you wouldn't get any sympathy from me)

I reckon that most people with an ounce of common sense and an ounce of social responsibility would be supporting harsher not softer punishments given the problems caused by young people who don't show either respect for rules or an understanding of their responsibilities.
Crikey, didn't realise that I was an trial as a parent here! My daughter is a well adjusted kid: I can think of far worse crimes than missing PE.

I am trying to empathise with my daughter, there are so many pressures on our kids these days...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, didn't realise that I was an trial as a parent here! My daughter is a well adjusted kid: I can think of far worse crimes than missing PE.

I am trying to empathise with my daughter, there are so many pressures on our kids these days...
Well, I'm afraid that when you start a thread with such an emotive subject - i.e. youth behaviour - you are quite likely to be judged given today's climate.

BTW, I actually don't believe that there are that many pressures on kids these days - especially in Australia - I'd be interested to see a list outlining what these pressures are.

I think about my father who was forced to leave school at 14, cycle 3 miles to the mine and then lead ponies for an 8 hour shift - that's what I call pressure at an age when most kids today are tucked up with their GameBoy and Facebook.

I reckon parents today are possibly more indulgent of their kids than ever before.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Well, I'm afraid that when you start a thread with such an emotive subject - i.e. youth behaviour - you are quite likely to be judged given today's climate.

BTW, I actually don't believe that there are that many pressures on kids these days - especially in Australia - I'd be interested to see a list outlining what these pressures are.

I think about my father who was forced to leave school at 14, cycle 3 miles to the mine and then lead ponies for an 8 hour shift - that's what I call pressure at an age when most kids today are tucked up with their GameBoy and Facebook.

I reckon parents today are possibly more indulgent of their kids than ever before.
You are probably correct- we mollycoddle our kids too much. Yep our kids are spoiled but our childhoods were probably be better

Our kids grow up much quicker these days-physically certainly. Mentally I'm not so sure...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

You are probably correct- we mollycoddle our kids too much. Yep our kids are spoiled but our childhoods were probably be better

Our kids grow up much quicker these days-physically certainly. Mentally I'm not so sure...
I'm not so sure that they do grow up quicker.

The real danger as far as I can see is that kids have it far too easy today. The challenge for parents I reckon is to get their kids to realise that little of value comes easily. Many kids in my experience try to find the absolute easiest route through life (even if this brings lower rewards than an alternative route) - and this doesn't bode well for the future.

I'm not so sure that I have the answer (and I've had quite a difficult conversation with my 9 year old today) but I reckon setting challenges - whether these are emotional, physical or mental - for your child is a good thing.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

I would think that the school gave her detention for missing PE. Mum grounded her for lying. 2 issues isn't it? Both punishments adequate in my opinion.

OP - don't worry about people judging you, you've started an emotive subject.

I'm sure your daughter knows she did wrong, and accepted the punishment. As long as she's learned from it, end of story.

Tracy
Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:59 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

So why are you complaining about a 2 hour detention?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:18 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

as I said in a previous post if you feel it is OK for your daughter to skip PE then give her a note excuising her, then there will be no problem.

The reason the school has been so harsh is to try and teach your daughter, that when she is supposed to be at school she should be there, and it is on the school to make sure she is there. If something was to happen to her whilst waggin school, Im sure your first port of call would be the school, asking why she was not there
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

reallyhappy will become famous soon enoughreallyhappy will become famous soon enough

Speaking as a former truant myself (ahem ) perhaps you could also remind her of the risks that if anything happened to her you wouldn't know she was missing for several hours?

I think it's all too easy for kids to be trusting.

Good on you for grounding her too!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by reallyhappy
Speaking as a former truant myself (ahem ) perhaps you could also remind her of the risks that if anything happened to her you wouldn't know she was missing for several hours?

I think it's all too easy for kids to be trusting.

Good on you for grounding her too!
I haven't heard the word truant in years, makes me think of kids going to borstal etc

Think the grounding is a punisment for me today. I've had enough of a stroppy adolescent mooching around the house..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.