Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

School Detentions in Australia

School Detentions in Australia

Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

j and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: School Detentions in Australia

Do they have corporal punishment in oz?

I know they've stopped it here in uk now, maybe they should bring it back?
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:50 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by virginiec
Yep, my daughter got her detention for skipping school.

Seemed a bit harsh to me...
Yes you are right, she really should have received a gold star on her arse for her day off. Interesting that you mention nothing about any concern of knowing what she was doing that day or was she at home with you??
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

virginiec will become famous soon enough

She skipped PE to go shopping. Hardly the crime of the century given that I doubt she will represent Australia or the UK at the Olympics
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

She skipped PE to go shopping. Hardly the crime of the century given that I doubt she will represent Australia or the UK at the Olympics
I guess as far as the school is concerned, skipping school is against the rules whatever the lesson & the punishment is there as a deterrent.
If she had got away with it, what's to stop her skippping maths next? If she is no budding Einstein, would that not bother you either?
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:55 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

The school is responsible for your daughter while she is there, if she is marked on the register as being in school...what would happen if there was a fire or a lock down, they would list her as missing, possibly putting others at risk whilst looking for her. That is prob why it was such a harsh detention, trying to make her realise that that behaviour is not acceptable and is in a way selfish. If you dont mind her missing PE and going shopping then write her a note to excuse her from PE. The high school kids here need a slip from the school to allow them in the Shopping Centre during school hours, which I think is a great idea.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:13 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

oh come on guys. You are looking at it from an adults point of view. When you are young you don't really think about consequences ie if there is a fire at school etc etc. I am sure that the mother of the daughter in question just didn't say to her 'oh well better luck next time in not getting caught'! what she said was that she felt the punishment a bit harsh. That hardly makes her a uncaring parent.

No one could have been worse than me for skipping school. Actually in one of my report cards one teach wrote 'Vanessa who?'
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

I don't think a 2hr detention after school is a harsh punishment for skipping a lesson at all, hopefully she has learnt her lesson. Kids shouldn't be allowed to do what they want, when they want that's why schools have rules and consequences.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:18 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

But there can be no right or wrong in this discussion particulary about what punishment is considered harsh. Some people believe in the death penalty some are anti abortion etc etc. It's a discussion that will never be resolved when you have conflicting views.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I was informed in advance: got a detention slip to sign.

My daughter says a two-hour detention is "the norm" here in OZ...
Not in my children's schools it's not. Before my kids get detention they send home a slip or make a phone call asking our permission. My daughter got caught skipping school a couple of weeks ago and she got an in-school detention which means she stays in at recess and lunch and they sent home all the work she missed on the weekend so she could catch up. It was all due back at school Monday or a further detention would be coming.
Originally Posted by j and k
Do they have corporal punishment in oz?

I know they've stopped it here in uk now, maybe they should bring it back?
Maybe they should start with your kids? I'll tell you that if any teacher or employee of my children's school layed a finger on either of my children I would have them charged with an assault offence. Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - has the right to use physical punishment on my child.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:01 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Maybe you should join her in detention and learn a valuable lesson yourself. How can you condone what your daughter did?

I know we've all done it at some time but as a parent surely you should support the school in this matter.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:02 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vanessa
oh come on guys. You are looking at it from an adults point of view. When you are young you don't really think about consequences ie if there is a fire at school etc etc. I am sure that the mother of the daughter in question just didn't say to her 'oh well better luck next time in not getting caught'! what she said was that she felt the punishment a bit harsh. That hardly makes her a uncaring parent.

No one could have been worse than me for skipping school. Actually in one of my report cards one teach wrote 'Vanessa who?'

I don't think posters are looking at this from the girl's point of view, they are looking at it as responsible parents - which is what the OP should be doing.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

j and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura aboutj and k has a spectacular aura about

Maybe they should start with your kids? I'll tell you that if any teacher or employee of my children's school layed a finger on either of my children I would have them charged with an assault offence. Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - has the right to use physical punishment on my child.[/QUOTE]

I don't hit my kids, couldn't bring myself to do it.........but are they not getting out of control? UK that is.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:59 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

When I was at school, I hated PE and religious education - having the Catholic religion force fed to me and I would have given anything to get out of it.

But my Mum said I had to do both whether or not I liked it and I was in no position to pick and choose what I wanted to do in the classroom.

My god I would not have dared skive though, it would have been more trouble than it was worth.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I guess as far as the school is concerned, skipping school is against the rules whatever the lesson & the punishment is there as a deterrent.
If she had got away with it, what's to stop her skippping maths next? If she is no budding Einstein, would that not bother you either?
Oh dear sounds like me always skipping Pe and games, I went for maths though
and Art, had heaps of detensions at school but would have an eppy if my kids bunked off though!!!

One rule for me and another for them!!!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:26 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blossom
Maybe you should join her in detention and learn a valuable lesson yourself. How can you condone what your daughter did?

I know we've all done it at some time but as a parent surely you should support the school in this matter.
Thankyou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.