Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

School 1960 vs. School 2007

Wikiposts

School 1960 vs. School 2007

Old Jan 27th 2008, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

bigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura aboutbigpaul has a spectacular aura about
Default School 1960 vs. School 2007

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.
1960 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up mates.
2007 - Police are called, Armed Response Unit arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, ASBOs are taken out and both are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on 6 internet sites.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.
1960 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given 6 of the best.Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him the slipper.
1960 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college,and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mark, a college student, brings cigarettes to school .
1960 - Mark shares a smoke with the school principal out on the smoking area.
2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from School for drug possession. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Mohammed fails high school English.
1960 - Mohammed retakes his exam, passes and goes to college.
2007 - Mohammed's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and his English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Mohammed is given his qualification anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.
1960 - Ants die.
2007 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpetrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during break and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.
1960 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.
2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.

( And the forties /fifties schools were even freer.............old geezer )

Fact or fiction?
Please discuss, but only secretly with close friends or a case of political incorrectness for individualistic thinking will be brought
Old Jan 27th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: School 1960 vs. School 2007

All this is so true although i wasnt born in the 60s i know where your coming from wot a strange world we live in

Suexx
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:47 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suesk
All this is so true although i wasnt born in the 60s i know where your coming from wot a strange world we live in

Suexx
went to school in the 60`s and 70`s and agree with what’s said
cant we euthanize the PC brigade

seems resonable to me
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

TrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant future

This is why us 'oldies' call the 60s (and 70s ) the 'good old days'!!!!!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Staff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the rough

Oh how true - and don't even get me started on the 'because of the disruption in class (see Jeffrey) nobody learns anything so they make the exms easier so the schools hit their pass rate targets' grrrrrr

Staff
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:31 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

This was posted about 2-3 weeks ago.

True tho
Ste
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Staff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
This was posted about 2-3 weeks ago.

True tho
Ste
Sorry, must have not been paying attention, will take 100 lines 'must pay attention in class'

Staff
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:48 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Staff
Sorry, must have not been paying attention, will take 100 lines 'must pay attention in class'

Staff
LOL : bring back the CANE !
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:16 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigpaul

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.
1960 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given 6 of the best.Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

We have been relaibly ( ) informed that our daughter has ADD. I will admit that her attention span is short and she can't remember jack shit, but we refuse to allow ''them'' to label her. On several occaisions we have been told we should put her on ritalin !!!

I was the same at school, and I was told ''sit down - shut up and get on with your work'', and I got a degree - So our approach to her school is - Yes she is easily distracted, but pull her back into line, otherwise she will never LEARN to concentrate.

She is completely unaware that there are people who have labelled her thus. If we empowered our daughter with this knowlege, she would use it to her advantage and slack off in school, as things stand, she is in the top five in the class!!!!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
We have been relaibly ( ) informed that our daughter has ADD. I will admit that her attention span is short and she can't remember jack shit, but we refuse to allow ''them'' to label her. On several occaisions we have been told we should put her on ritalin !!!

I was the same at school, and I was told ''sit down - shut up and get on with your work'', and I got a degree - So our approach to her school is - Yes she is easily distracted, but pull her back into line, otherwise she will never LEARN to concentrate.

She is completely unaware that there are people who have labelled her thus. If we empowered our daughter with this knowlege, she would use it to her advantage and slack off in school, as things stand, she is in the top five in the class!!!!
It's an easy way out for them, the classes are too big and they don't have any punishments anymore (except go stand outside the heads office - doh) so if they can get the more demanding children sedated it makes their life easier.

If she is in the top 5 (despite the 'mucking about) then my guess is that she is bored and instead of labeling her ADD they might consider testing her for 'gifted' (except that it is not politically correct, so you might have to get it done yourself)

Staff
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:19 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Staff
It's an easy way out for them, the classes are too big and they don't have any punishments anymore (except go stand outside the heads office - doh) so if they can get the more demanding children sedated it makes their life easier.

If she is in the top 5 (despite the 'mucking about) then my guess is that she is bored and instead of labeling her ADD they might consider testing her for 'gifted' (except that it is not politically correct, so you might have to get it done yourself)

Staff
Mmmm, I think we have been fobbed off - cos the isometric testing gave her an IQ of 115, and she only completed 2 of the 10 tasks properly (she got restless and silly after the first 2)

Thanks for the encouragement, I might look into it, cos she does seem bright to me, and her dad is exceptionally intelligent IMO, they both leave me standing!

Nx
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
Mmmm, I think we have been fobbed off - cos the isometric testing gave her an IQ of 115, and she only completed 2 of the 10 tasks properly (she got restless and silly after the first 2)

Thanks for the encouragement, I might look into it, cos she does seem bright to me, and her dad is exceptionally intelligent IMO, they both leave me standing!

Nx
Defo sounds like she falls into the gifted group, don't let them get away with writing her off. I would warn you though, it aint easy getting the right education for a gifted child, as the system doesn't like catering for anyone who falls out of the 'one size fits all' provision. The worst thing would be to let it carry on, if she becomes 'turned off to education' then it'll be tricky to get her back on track and however bright, if she doesn't get the input she'll never prosper.

Try looking for a scholarship to a good private school, they tend to be better at catering to the individual, and often offer good packages.

Staff