British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Saying Goodbye (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/saying-goodbye-593009/)

Kath & Graham Feb 21st 2009 4:38 pm

Saying Goodbye

Feeling really down today:( My eldest daughter (19) flew back to Oz today - she was soo upset she didnt want me to go to the airport with her and her Dad and her boyfriend.

Shes been here for 3 weeks and its been brilliant:thumbsup: But you know- it was the best thing us emigrating and she stayed there. She has grown up so much in 15 months and she is an independent young lady,just wish we were with her:(

Damson Feb 21st 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Saying Goodbye

Ah bless. Without doubt, this is the hards thing to deal with when emmigrating isn't it? It's certainly the main thing that is stopping us from making the final decision of whether to go or not. No amount of people telling you that at 19 she would have probably left the nest in any event helps, because they remain your little 'uns no matter what age. Let the countdown begin until you see her next. Take care
Lorraine

Kath & Graham Feb 21st 2009 5:03 pm

I know, shes at Uni and at least she has some good friends keeping an eye on her. She said she couldnt move back to UK now, shes got a good life there. Just wish our circumstances were different and that we werent bloody ping pongers:curse: All my fault:o

Scrawni 2 Feb 21st 2009 10:49 pm

I can really relate to how your feeling right now, our daughter is in the UK and we are in Oz :( She has a good life there too, and we know all about being ping pongers :eek:

Just work through your sad feelings, allow yourself some time for yourself and certainly don't beat yourself up about how you feel. I let myself be miserable for a couple of days the gave myself a kick up the arse.

It's her decision, you cannot do anything to change it. She is happy (well apart from how she is feeling right now), she is healthy and for that you can be content.

Accept that you'll have days where you feel the loss, it's perfectly natural. I have good days and bloody awful days but nothing I can do about it, I just try to have strategies in place to deal with it better.

carolinephillips Feb 21st 2009 10:57 pm

I said goodbye on tuesday to my dad and sister who came out to Oz for 3 weeks- our first visitors in the 6 months that we have been here. It is always hard to say goodbye, especially in my case to a man I may not see again ( 76 and a heart condition) still, we hope to go back to the UK for a couple of weeks in June then OH can see his mum, and I can see mine. (They don't travel)

quoll Feb 22nd 2009 12:05 am

Yup, it's a b*gger farewelling your kids! You never know, she might decide to do what many Aussie kids do once they have finished uni and go back to try some European/UK adventures. You cant be following your kids around the world, I reckon, they have their own lives and you have to choose your own path. I've got one here and one there so unless I fancy living in Mumbai (I dont) the farewells will continue on a regular basis. {{{hugs}}}, it isnt easy!

midgetjan Feb 22nd 2009 12:11 am

Sharing your pain {{hugs}}

2 daughters in UK - us in Perth with a son (17) who's constantly checking airfares "home".

There's nothing tears you apart more than kids all over the world.

Yes, I'm proud of their independance but it doesn't stop the heartache of not seeing them.

Keep busy - it gives you less time to think about it.

sj oldfield Feb 22nd 2009 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham (Post 7308107)
Feeling really down today:( My eldest daughter (19) flew back to Oz today - she was soo upset she didnt want me to go to the airport with her and her Dad and her boyfriend.

Shes been here for 3 weeks and its been brilliant:thumbsup: But you know- it was the best thing us emigrating and she stayed there. She has grown up so much in 15 months and she is an independent young lady,just wish we were with her:(

Hey Kath!!!!
What you up to now??? Are you ping ponging back again???

Kath & Graham Feb 22nd 2009 3:10 pm

thanks Guys:D

Sandra - have pm'd you!!!

Kath

PAP01 Feb 22nd 2009 8:25 pm

Yep,know how you feel,got a daughter back in the uk who 19 and doing well for herself. But she does come over next week for two week:). but then we have to take her to the airport again and the pain starts again:thumbdown: