Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sydney - where to live?

Sydney - where to live?

Old Nov 30th 2018, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Laineybee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney - where to live?

My first post as we’ve just found out we’ll be moving from Surrey,UK to Sydney with my husband’s job. So exciting and so much to think about but most importantly is where to live? We’ve been advised North Shore beaches but which one? Our kids are grown-up so we don’t need family friendly but we do like restaurants, bars, cafes and outdoor sports. An easy commute to Circular Quay is also important. Any ideas would be gratefully received. TIA.
Old Nov 30th 2018, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - where to live?

Originally Posted by Laineybee
My first post as we’ve just found out we’ll be moving from Surrey,UK to Sydney with my husband’s job. So exciting and so much to think about but most importantly is where to live? We’ve been advised North Shore beaches but which one? Our kids are grown-up so we don’t need family friendly but we do like restaurants, bars, cafes and outdoor sports. An easy commute to Circular Quay is also important. Any ideas would be gratefully received. TIA.
The northern beaches are nice however very isolated. They don't call it the insular peninsular for nothing. Unless you are within walking distance of the ferry, which means Manly, then expect a long commute. Manly has bars, restaurants, outdoor sports.

Plenty of other areas to choose from too that fit the bars, restaurants, outdoor sports criteria. But do you want a beach? That could narrow it down for you.
Old Nov 30th 2018, 8:14 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, give us a few more clues and we'll try to help.

Well some of us will - others will pick a fight as usual.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. The beach isn’t essential,a short commute and a lively grown-up scene on the doorstep would be more important . Not bothered if it’s flat or house living either so long as there’s some outside space. No budget yet so that doesn’t help. TIA.

Old Dec 2nd 2018, 7:20 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm biased but I'd look at the Inner West. We're 46 and 56, no family, and live in a very nice 3 bedroom apartment (our outdoor space is limited to 3 balconies but we do look over a leafy courtyard) in a complex with a pool and gym, surrounded by cafes - huge breakfast scene here of course! - and increasingly with small bars.

In our case it's the eastern side of the Inner West (Alexandria) and we have a train and buses to the city (because you don't drive to the city, not least because you need a mortgage for the parking) as well as easy access to the city beaches and airport (my husband flies a lot).

If the Inner West is too alternative or grungy for you (that's just how we like it) try the Lower North Shore where you might get great views and take the ferry to Circular Quay but you'll need a much bigger budget over there. We lived in McMahons Point when we first arrived and rented but TBH there wasn't enough going on for us. North Sydney shuts on a weekend. Manly is not my kind of place but I know a lot like it. Cremorne, Fairlight, Mosman, etc., also worth a look. A bit further out, I do like Freshwater, but it's not really buzzing, and that's as far as I'd go and commute to the CBD.

On this side of the harbour, for beach suburbs I'd look at Bronte or Tamarama before Coogee or Bondi though not in a hurry to move to any of them.. Again, they're all budget busters.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

To add to Kooky's suggestions, there are also the inner east places like Paddington, Rushcutters Bay, Double Bay, Rose Bay, even parts of Bondi Junction.

A grown up crowd, plenty of bars and restaurants, easy commute (there are also the ferry options from Double Bay and Rose Bay).

These are more like the Chelsea end of town rather than the Shoreditch end but are very leafy, pretty and nice with plenty to do.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 9:06 am
Auntie Fa

Yeah I never think of recommending those areas - I guess I'm not fussed to live in them, although I wouldn't turn down a little harbourside house if somebody wanted to give me one. (Just been for dinner at Watsons Bay, now that is one I would consider.)
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Yeah I never think of recommending those areas - I guess I'm not fussed to live in them, although I wouldn't turn down a little harbourside house if somebody wanted to give me one. (Just been for dinner at Watsons Bay, now that is one I would consider.)
Not sure if the OP is into grunge or posh.

Watsons Bay is a great spot for a meal sitting out on the sand. Nice walk out to the light house on the south head and back.

I went for a bit of breakfast and a swim around Double Bay over the weekend. It's great for a little stroll, swim, feed and just general sit out. Very beautiful.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you, what a great list to get us started. Beachside sounds idyllic but we are city people and in reality we’d probably prefer grunge but with easy access to a beach. That’s the beauty of Sydney, never too far from a beach. The OH is there at the moment and has checked out a few areas and I’ll be over in February by which time we should have narrowed down the search area. So far we’ve discounted Watson’s Bay because it’s too quiet, Manly and Randwick.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 5:36 am
Auntie Fa

Laineybee I would also consider very carefully your own situation, not just your husband's commute. If you will work - where is that likely to be? If you won't be working - how will you fill your days? Not prying, don't need answers, but don't discount your own needs. I didn't work the first year we were here and didn't want a car, so we too looked for places with a bit of life and good transport links.

In fact my husband was working on the north side (until he got made redundant three weeks ago at least who knows where he'll end up next?) and we still chose the Inner West.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Laineybee
Thank you, what a great list to get us started. Beachside sounds idyllic but we are city people and in reality we’d probably prefer grunge but with easy access to a beach. That’s the beauty of Sydney, never too far from a beach. The OH is there at the moment and has checked out a few areas and I’ll be over in February by which time we should have narrowed down the search area. So far we’ve discounted Watson’s Bay because it’s too quiet, Manly and Randwick.
Hmmm plenty of places are too far from the beach. They just won't be named in this thread as you have no use for them.

Grunge with easy access to the beach. Now this goes against anything I was going to suggest but what about somewhere near Bondi Junction. Easy access to city and easy access to both coastal and harbour beaches.

Bondi is quite grungy, like Manly it's a playground for 20 and 30 something hipsters. Loads of bars, restaurants and the people watching is tops.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Kooky, I understand what you mean and I do intend to work once we're sorted -for my sanity as well as for the income.
I'm a nurse by training and will probably look for medical-related work but not as an actual nurse, even temp work etc in a hospital or health centres might be possible and not confined to one particular location in the city.
And Beoz,we will definitely check out Bondi Junction we may be (well) over 30 but not ready for the pipe a slippers yet!
Old Jan 6th 2019, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

tavro is an unknown quantity at this point

Where to live for Sydney rather depends on your budget and your husband's job. [Like Central London in fact! ]

There are plenty of nice beachy places if you afford them, prices starting from $1,500 a week [Manley, Coogee, Bronte etc.]

If not, then remember that the trains from N,S or East are very good, and much cheaper than UK. So these outlying districts are well-worth considering if hubby can work on a laptop on the train.

[ PS. You can't rely on working on the bus - or even of getting a seat in the busy period. Remember, even places like nice-enough Coogee is almost an hour's bus ride to the CBD ]