British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Sausages (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/sausages-582601/)

SuzyQ Jan 7th 2009 4:53 pm

Sausages

I first visited this site a little over a year ago when some one suggested I might find a good source for good sausages.

We got some from the Highland Shop I think it was Yatala, and they were pretty good, but not the best.

I have since found a local shop who does make a really good pork sausage, fat ones that do not shrink, and do not have garlic.

Why is it that I can tast garlic in old English style sausages. Garlic wasn't that popular in old England, was it.

Anyway, if you want a good sausage, the butcher in Canungra is worth a try.

Burbage Jan 7th 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Sausages

Originally Posted by SuzyQ (Post 7139872)
I first visited this site a little over a year ago when some one suggested I might find a good source for good sausages.

We got some from the Highland Shop I think it was Yatala, and they were pretty good, but not the best.

I have since found a local shop who does make a really good pork sausage, fat ones that do not shrink, and do not have garlic.

Why is it that I can tast garlic in old English style sausages. Garlic wasn't that popular in old England, was it.

Hmm... Is a 3500km round trip worth it for a good sausage?

SuzyQ Jan 7th 2009 5:12 pm

Yup

Burbage Jan 7th 2009 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by SuzyQ (Post 7139909)
Yup

Must be good sausages.

emelems Jan 7th 2009 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Burbage (Post 7139885)
Hmm... Is a 3500km round trip worth it for a good sausage?

:lol:

Have to say that I am not really partial to the sausages out here.. and the beef sausages just are horrible...

We've had a tip off over a brilliant butcher from some expats we met up with via here.. going to give them a call next week and find out the name and possible address and then TomTom it.. apparently this butcher can actually produce really good ham too.. ham here, in my honest opinion, tastes as good as the beef sausages

Em x

SuzyQ Jan 7th 2009 5:33 pm

Don't get me on ham, I would love a really nice gammon steak. The Scottish shop at Yatala sells it, must try and remember the name of the shop, Highland some thing.

We went to a BBQ once and they were serving ham off the bone that hadn't been smoked. Yummy.

SuzyQ Jan 7th 2009 5:37 pm

Guess what after googling I found mention of this butcher on here date about a year ago.
anyway the site is www.highlandflingproducts.com

The sausages are not as good as the ones in Canungra though

ABCDiamond Jan 7th 2009 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by SuzyQ (Post 7139965)
The Scottish shop at Yatala sells it, must try and remember the name of the shop, Highland some thing.

Is this it...

Syd's pies, incorporating Highland Fling Products.
http://www.highlandflingproducts.com/
Scottish and English goods,
4059 Pacific Highway, (corner Leawarra Drive) Loganholme

They also sell their products though some other shops in Brisbane, so you do not have to travel to them.

ABCDiamond Jan 7th 2009 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by SuzyQ (Post 7139965)
Don't get me on ham, I would love a really nice gammon steak.

Will one of these do you ?
http://www.britainonthebayside.com.a...ammonsteak.jpg

or how about some bacon... http://www.britainonthebayside.com.a...s/T/543-05.jpg

from Britain on the Bayside

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jan 7th 2009 6:25 pm

I can recommend Bush Meats (local butchers chain, not a supplier of road kill and witchetty grubs) thin pork sausages to anybody in the Illawarra.

tomar Jan 7th 2009 8:28 pm

For anyone on the sunshine coast. You can buy lincolnshire, cumberland and pork sausages from the Fudge Kitchen, Bulcock St, Caloundra.
They get them in weekly from a butcher I think in Robina. My men rate them highly, certainly better than anything else you can buy locally. My husbands biased as he comes from Lincolnshire.
We phone up and order, so that we don't make a wasted journey.
Also, have mentioned this before, you can get gammon steaks from a shop on the Niklin Highway. It used to be the Sarah Lee shop, just near the Good Guys and Kawana Bubs. Again delivered weekly, and you can order. Good for a sat. night meal, gammon+egg or pineapple, chips and peas!!!!!
Hope this helps.

Dorothy Jan 7th 2009 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by SuzyQ (Post 7139872)

Forgive me for sounding suspicious, but if you were on here a year ago asking about sausage then why does your "join date" say January 2009?

LouiseR Jan 7th 2009 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 7140622)
Forgive me for sounding suspicious, but if you were on here a year ago asking about sausage then why does your "join date" say January 2009?

Perhaps forgot log in details and just created a new account?

MarkMC Jan 7th 2009 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Louiseh86 (Post 7140702)
Perhaps forgot log in details and just created a new account?

Perhaps visited and only read posts - didnt register?

Dorothy Jan 7th 2009 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMC (Post 7140831)
Perhaps visited and only read posts - didnt register?

Read the first post. "I first visited this site a little over a year ago when some one suggested I might find a good source for good sausages."