Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sat Nav on an iPhone

Wikiposts

Sat Nav on an iPhone

Old May 27th 2010, 1:35 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sat Nav on an iPhone

Anyone got one?

I have a Navman unit which is getting a bit old in the tooth and it seems that for the price of just a map update on my current model, I can get the software as an app for the iPhone....

So, the question being - does anyone have any recommendations?
Are they any good, or should I stick to the dedicated sat navs?

Also I'm going back to the UK for a trip later in the year, so to be able to get UK maps for it (preferably free!!) would help...

Cheers
Old May 27th 2010, 2:52 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sat Nav on an iPhone

I have no experience with iPhone - but have used TomTom on a Nokia N95 a bit - mainly when on holiday down in Sydney, but also in Qld and UK (downloaded the application and maps illegaly for free).

The Nokia has the problem that it takes a LONG time to find the satelites and get a position lock (i.e. up to 10 minutes) - which can be very frustrating when you dont know exactly where you're heading.

The TomTom application however is very good - very simiilar to custom devices with a few minor differences:
- limited screen size means numbers are tough to read..
- Doesnt read street names (just tells you directions)

Having used both the phone and a TT720 in the last few months I'll say the TT was much nicer to drive with - having street names *is* useful - and having numbers big enough to read is nice for speed limit checking (although the maps on the device I had were clearly old and optimistic in places which cost me $197 in a fine for driving at the wrong speed limit!).

The phone is great as a backup device and is sufficient for navigational assistance - but not as good as a dedicated device.

A friend has TT on iPhone and says the GPS seek time on iPhone is fine and the TT maps seem to update automatically. If this is TRUE then TT on iPhone may end up being better than a dedicated TT device!!!
Old May 27th 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

I have seen the gps working on an iphone and worked quite well but it was using 3g data to load the maps which can be pricey if you use it a lot. I think the Tomtom program for the iphone pre loads all the maps so you don't use up your 3g data.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, got a Sygic for both Australia and UK thanks to tips from folk on this board.

They dont cost you data to run because you dont need to connect to the net while using it. I dont use mine much because I generally know where I am going but I did use it a few times in UK and once it was a definite life saver. The directions are clear - including street names, it hooks up with the gps very quickly and I found it just as good as my son's TomTom (in UK)

If you can download the app using wifi then you arent going to damage your data download at all. And, I got two countries for less than I would have had to have paid for one Navman/Tomtom.

Only issue for me is that it drains the battery life so you need to have either a cable or some other battery supply but the same is true for Tomtom I know.
Old May 27th 2010, 7:13 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I use my iphone for sat nav when out of the country and its just fine. Make sure you have a cradle though for ease of use.
Old May 27th 2010, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

I have tom tom for AU on my i-phone and used it in Oz 3 weeks ago.Have to say it struggled for a good gps signal in parts of perth and therefore the response time was slow, ie you'd passed your turning before it told you to turn, really frustrating, but when signal was good it worked well.Was wondering if the signal is an issue for all gps in WA, as we saw advert hoardings implying that the satnavs were crap and the book maps were better,which they were, really, though not if youre alone driving, obviously.
Old May 30th 2010, 1:22 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your help guys.
Looks like it may be a goer, subject to getting a cradle for it....
I think its essential that whatever sat nav software I go for that is has all the maps on the phone itself to save the download costs - especially when abroad...
Old May 30th 2010, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
Thanks for all your help guys.
Looks like it may be a goer, subject to getting a cradle for it....
I think its essential that whatever sat nav software I go for that is has all the maps on the phone itself to save the download costs - especially when abroad...
I just got a fairly nice Belkin cradle for it that sticks on the window. I did get a nice Kensington one but it fitted in the cigarette lighter and my lighter was in an inconvenient place - gave the cradle to a friend who says it is just the job in his Mazda. Sygic is definitely one where all the maps are on the phone and once they are downloaded, apart from upgrades which are best done over wifi, you dont NEED to access the net at all - although you can if you want to for traffic updates IIRC.