Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Same sex marriage ban in Australia

Same sex marriage ban in Australia

Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Same sex marriage ban in Australia

Originally Posted by eddie007
A civil union is a Marriage in my eyes.
I can't reconcile that with the fact that you've said you're FOR same sex civil unions but AGAINST same Sex marriage...if one equals the other how can that be?
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Wrong. That's what they want to believe. Would you agree that the amount of 100% devoted religious people in Australia are in a minority? Yet, they get the 'laws' of their religion upheld without even having to fight for it because it's written down in an old book. But only when the debating gets to occur do things change. If there is a demand to change something, it should get argued. But this one is getting swept under the carpet with the response 'because that's just how it is.'
So your problem is with "the establishment" not against those who hold the belief that same sex relationships are wrong..... It's not an individuals fault that the law is an ass... They are not personally responsible for the fact "laws" wre established a zillion years ago and and that they haven't been overturned yet.

Surely it is the responsibility of the " majority" to change those laws to meet their needs...
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

So your problem is with "the establishment" not against those who hold the belief that same sex relationships are wrong..... It's not an individuals fault that the law is an ass... They are not personally responsible for the fact "laws" wre established a zillion years ago and and that they haven't been overturned yet.

Surely it is the responsibility of the " majority" to change those laws to meet their needs...
Are you skipping the point on purpose? People want to have the discussions and try and get things changed. When the government are voting on your behalf, how exactly are you changing anything? I said earlier, it needs to be a referendum.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I can't reconcile that with the fact that you've said you're FOR same sex civil unions but AGAINST same Sex marriage...if one equals the other how can that be?
Technically I didn't say that, the anti bit was in quotes

I have no problem with same sex marriage in organized religions which "allow" for that...

HOWEVER my preferred choice would be to have civil union as the legally binding contract, for any relationship, and the religious side of things entirely optional for those that do want to marry in the sight of God
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you skipping the point on purpose? People want to have the discussions and try and get things changed. When the government are voting on your behalf, how exactly are you changing anything? I said earlier, it needs to be a referendum.
You want to have discussions? So go and have those discussions, with the right people... In real life...

If you don't agree with how your representative is representing you...change them!

Make it an issue that counts. Lobby, write letters ...effect change....

Nothing is going to change by masturbating the issue on here....
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

You want to have discussions? So go and have those discussions, with the right people... In real life...

If you don't agree with how your representative is representing you...change them!

Make it an issue that counts. Lobby, write letters ...effect change....

Nothing is going to change by masturbating the issue on here....
Thanks for the personal guidance. I think we're aware that Britishexpats.com isn't a medium of inflicting change to government policy. Your response actually fits the type of dismissive replies I was talking about earlier.

This thread is for sharing your opinion. Not for telling people to go away and talk about it somewhere else.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

What bugs me though is that this should be a referendum
Referendums should only be used for big issues like the Monarchy, leave the EU etc. SSM is not one of these issues

You vote for your MP to represent you and to make decisions on your behalf in parliament. If you don't like what your MP is doing, kick him/her out at the next election and vote for another one

That's how democracy works. Our current government basically knows what the mood of the majority of this country is on this issue, and that mood is against SSM
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the personal guidance. I think we're aware that Britishexpats.com isn't a medium of inflicting change to government policy. Your response actually fits the type of dismissive replies I was talking about earlier.

This thread is for sharing your opinion. Not for telling people to go away and talk about it somewhere else.
Its sad that you are so quick to jump to the conclusion that my message was for you to **** off....

As some one who was a political activist throughout the 80s I know that the only way to effect change is through action.... And that sitting around arguing about things doesn't buy the baby a new bonnet.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Referendums should only be used for big issues like the Monarchy, leave the EU etc. SSM is not one of these issues

You vote for your MP to represent you and to make decisions on your behalf in parliament. If you don't like what your MP is doing, kick him/her out at the next election and vote for another one

That's how democracy works. Our current government basically knows what the mood of the majority of this country is on this issue, and that mood is against SSM
How?

And I completely disagree. People vote for a government to install the policies they campaigned with, not to stand for them on all their beliefs. Plus, your options are very very limited when it comes to voting for a government. It's more about damage limitation than it is about getting people who inspire you into power.

I could run for election as an independent, perhaps win a seat and fight my case on whatever issues I see as worthy. And then get steam rolled by the parties who break their promises and make deals with other parties just to stay in power.

It's too simplistic and ignorant to say that the government should decide as thats what we voted for. We didn't get to vote for same sex marriage and we didn't get to vote for a carbon tax before that came in. We don't even get to decide whether the carbon tax will be repealed or not because even the government that were elected in to get rid of it didn't mention in their campaign that they can't just rip it out, it still has to be voted for by the parliament.... who change their minds on things whenever it suits them.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Its sad that you are so quick to jump to the conclusion that my message was for you to **** off....

As some one who was a political activist throughout the 80s I know that the only way to effect change is through action.... And that sitting around arguing about things doesn't buy the baby a new bonnet.
I don't know why you made that point again. yes, we're aware that action makes things happen. This thread is just a place for discussion. I'm not trying to say that I would like someone to stand up and change things that I believe need to be changed because I can't be arsed. I'm simply sharing my view on this topic.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know why you made that point again. yes, we're aware that action makes things happen. This thread is just a place for discussion. I'm not trying to say that I would like someone to stand up and change things that I believe need to be changed because I can't be arsed. I'm simply sharing my view on this topic.
But no sensible discussion is happening ..... And it's the barbie
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

But no sensible discussion is happening ..... And it's the barbie
Then make it sensible.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Then make it sensible.
I tried to... But I got derision by a poster on here... Which discourages me from posting further on the topic....

And Is probably what discourages others from taking part in a discussion too
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

How?

And I completely disagree. People vote for a government to install the policies they campaigned with, not to stand for them on all their beliefs. Plus, your options are very very limited when it comes to voting for a government. It's more about damage limitation than it is about getting people who inspire you into power.

I could run for election as an independent, perhaps win a seat and fight my case on whatever issues I see as worthy. And then get steam rolled by the parties who break their promises and make deals with other parties just to stay in power.

It's too simplistic and ignorant to say that the government should decide as thats what we voted for. We didn't get to vote for same sex marriage and we didn't get to vote for a carbon tax before that came in. We don't even get to decide whether the carbon tax will be repealed or not because even the government that were elected in to get rid of it didn't mention in their campaign that they can't just rip it out, it still has to be voted for by the parliament.... who change their minds on things whenever it suits them.
We all knew the coalition's policy on this before the election. They were duly elected with a large majority. If this was a big issue for people then they would not have won the election

If you didn't know that the CT needs to be legislated out of existence then that's your problem. I knew this. How? I read. I research. I make my own decisions

I'm against SSM. I knew the coalition's policy on this. It's one of the reasons that I voted for them

happy days
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We all knew the coalition's policy on this before the election. They were duly elected with a large majority. If this was a big issue for people then they would not have won the election

If you didn't know that the CT needs to be legislated out of existence then that's your problem. I knew this. How? I read. I research. I make my own decisions

I'm against SSM. I knew the coalition's policy on this. It's one of the reasons that I voted for them

happy days
Yes, I knew that the carbon tax needs to go to a parliament vote before the election. But was the slogan 'get a parliament vote to bin the scrap the carbon tax'? Nope, had to be much catchier than that. That's how they campaigned and thats how they won.

When they had the last vote in parliament for gay marriage which was not approved, their reason, which they stated in interviews, was that their own personal belief was that marriage is between a man and a woman. They didn't say 'we know what Australia wants as they've been telling us'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.