British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Same sex marriage ban in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/same-sex-marriage-ban-australia-817607/)

mikelincs Dec 12th 2013 10:08 am

Same sex marriage ban in Australia

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/australia-3...1.html#VS0J28a

This means that couples who married under the rules passed by ACT are now NOT married in the eyes of the law.

sonlymewalter Dec 12th 2013 10:17 am

Re: Same sex marriage ban in Australia

Gay people should be allowed to marry and have the same rights as any other consenting adult couples.

The law is an ass :thumbdown:

berserk Dec 12th 2013 11:00 am

the High Court did not "ban" same-sex marriage.
it only ruled that the ACT law is contrary to the Commonwealth law, and is therefore of no effect.
only way to allow same sex marriage is through an amendment to the federal Marriage Act.

mikelincs Dec 12th 2013 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by berserk (Post 11032910)
the High Court did not "ban" same-sex marriage.
it only ruled that the ACT law is contrary to the Commonwealth law, and is therefore of no effect.
only way to allow same sex marriage is through an amendment to the federal Marriage Act.

But they are banning any more taking place, and those that already have have been nullified. Time the Oz Government joined the 21st century.

Perpetual Tourist Dec 12th 2013 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 11032835)
Gay people should be allowed to marry and have the same rights as any other consenting adult couples.

The law is an ass :thumbdown:

:amen: to that. They need to get with the times...

moneypenny20 Dec 13th 2013 2:15 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11033449)
But they are banning any more taking place, and those that already have have been nullified. Time the Oz Government joined the 21st century.

Abso bloody lutely. It's outrageous.

Amazulu Dec 13th 2013 2:43 am

My understanding is that marriage laws are set by the Commonwealth, so what the ACT was outside their jurisdiction and therefore meaningless

State/Territory governments need to concentrate on the issues that they are responsible for and stop wasting people's money trying to make a statement

I am against same sex marriage so agree with what the courts have done

JoeBloggs80 Dec 13th 2013 2:55 am

Its ridiculous.

It'll be like women voters, or the civil rights movement. People are going to look back in 20 years time and wonder why on earth it wasn't allowed. Lets just all allow it and move on.

Hino Dec 13th 2013 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 11034269)
My understanding is that marriage laws are set by the Commonwealth, so what the ACT was outside their jurisdiction and therefore meaningless

State/Territory governments need to concentrate on the issues that they are responsible for and stop wasting people's money trying to make a statement

I am against same sex marriage so agree with what the courts have done

Damn right :goodpost:

Hebe Dec 13th 2013 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Hino (Post 11034312)
Damn right :goodpost:

Why are you and Amuzulu(or whatever he/she is called) against same sex marriage?

Amazulu Dec 13th 2013 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 11034338)
Why are you and Amuzulu(or whatever he/she is called) against same sex marriage?

If you spell my name properly, show some respect and say please, I'll tell you

Hino Dec 13th 2013 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 11034338)

Well hobe ( or whatever your name is ), I really don't consider that to be any of your business.

Though thanks for asking, albeit in a rather rude and in your face manner, that I'm sure you would be reluctant to use if we were face to face.

And as for your "he/she" comment I'm sure that neither Amazulu or myself have any doubts about our sexuality :)

mikelincs Dec 13th 2013 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Hino (Post 11034351)
Well hobe ( or whatever your name is ), I really don't consider that to be any of your business.

Though thanks for asking, albeit in a rather rude and in your face manner, that I'm sure you would be reluctant to use if we were face to face.

And as for your "he/she" comment I'm sure that neither Amazulu or myself have any doubts about our sexuality :)

I doubt she was talking about your sexuality, just your sex, most of us on here are not ashamed to say what sex we are, and so have the male or female symbol next to our names, however you do seem to want to hide yours from everyone.

moneypenny20 Dec 13th 2013 5:50 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11034358)
I doubt she was talking about your sexuality, just your sex, most of us on here are not ashamed to say what sex we are, and so have the male or female symbol next to our names, however you do seem to want to hide yours from everyone.

Lots of people don't click the gender button. Not a case of hiding, I wasn't when I was a poster with no gender, just that it's irrelevant.

Amazulu Dec 13th 2013 5:51 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11034358)

But she knows who I am and I have the male symbol next to my name

She was just trying to be confrontational/difficult but that's cool, I'll be happy to return the compliment if required!