Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The same old complaints

Wikiposts

The same old complaints

Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The same old complaints

Originally Posted by Wendy
I do that too!

No it's not compulsory but there are a lot of them and it is easier for a working family to buy frozen rather than fresh stuff.

Another example is that I used to buy a lot of shopping from the internet, my main shop was done at Asda.co.uk and I would buy my veggies, tinned stuff, cleaning products etc from there - this I would do every month.

Every second month I would fill up my chest freezer in the garage with stuff from the freezer shop. I could buy the same stuff from the freezer shop that I could get from Asda for less than half price. Wasn't so much of an easiness thing, more of a price thing for us.

We didn't have any greengrocers, butchers or anything like that left where I come from - sadly the supermarkets wiped them out a few years before we moved here. Pretty crap really to say that William Morisson made all his money from a stall in the markets the very same ones he eventually helped to kill off

Tell me about it! Yummy - and so cheap too!
I guess its a matter of choice is'nt it?I live in the UK,and yes we have all the big supermarkets but its my own choice if I go into them which I don't.I grow my own food instead....very liberating!!!I also work fulltime but still manage to cook from scratch.On my days off I cook even more.Yesterday was biscuits,today soup!(as well as breakfast and dinner!!!!)
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Is it compulsory to eat packaged meals in the UK then
The UK ready meals market is still the largest when compared to Germany, France, Italy and Spain. Sales of ready meals here hit the 3 billion Euro (£2 billion sterling) mark last year, compared to nearer 2 billion Euros in France (2.0 billion Euros) and Germany (1.8 billion Euros).

And despite being the largest market the UK will see around a 25% increase in sales from 2006 to 2011 to reach 3.7 billion euros or £2.6 billion sterling. What is more, we Brits are most likely to eat ready meals more than once a week (23% according to TGI Europa), compared to just 9% in Germany - the least likely.

"Mintel’s research shows that the UK is still king of convenience," comments Michelle Strutton. "The ready meals market in the UK is by far and away the most advanced in Europe. Suppliers here, especially the leading retailers such as M&S, are quick to react to new consumer trends, so offering a wide variety of exciting meals to appeal to everyone’s tastes," she adds.

Not compulsory ... but it would seem that the British are hardly being forced to buy them at gun point.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Not compulsory ... but it would seem that the British are hardly being forced to buy them at gun point.
Bit like the Australians using fast food outlets then.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Bit like the Australians using fast food outlets then.
Yea, because your average Brit never goes anywhere near Mc'Ds, KFC, Wimpy, BurgerKing, Wendys, the local Chinese, the local Indian, Spud-u-like or the kebab shop.

Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

I have a real problem with the ready meal/convenience food culture in the UK. People are continually told that they don't have time to prepare meals as they have such a busy life so that they start to believe it themselves, seriously how long does it really take to prepare spaghetti bolognese from scratch using your own ingredients?? Half an hour?

I remember one day at work in the UK one of my colleagues discussing how she had "tried" her husband on Asda peri peri chicken but that he wasn't that keen on the particular flavour, firstly it sounded like she was talking about her child and secondly why not try to make your own and then you can flavour it how you want.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterby
I have a real problem with the ready meal/convenience food culture in the UK.
I don't see that as any different from the fast food culture here.

It came as quite a surprise to see so many people constantly 'grazing' especially around shopping malls.....and the extent of obesity.

It is also a bit silly to talk about a 'convenience meal culture' in the UK.

None of my family or circle of friends ever ate ready made meals.

A few people may but then lots of Australians eat home delivered pizza etc.

G
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

It came as quite a surprise to see so many people constantly 'grazing' especially around shopping malls.....and the extent of obesity.

It is also a bit silly to talk about a 'convenience meal culture' in the UK.

None of my family or circle of friends ever ate ready made meals.

G
When I cycle to work in the monrings I'm always amazed by the number of people going into McDonalds and KFC - presumably for breakfast!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:23 pm
Australia's Doorman

So you've got the double-whammy in the UK then - not only do the Brits consume more pre-packaged ready meals than most of northern Europe put together, but they're just as addicted to the fast food outlets as the aussies.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Brit's main contribution to international culture the fried chip? And, ermm, wasn't it the British that invented the very concept of fast food with the fish and chip shop?

Sure. Total surprise.

It is also a bit silly to talk about a 'convenience meal culture' in the UK. None of my family or circle of friends ever ate ready made meals.
Oh well, since none of your family and friends ever stepped within 50metres of a Tescos Chicken Tikka Masala - it must be true for the whole of the yookay! Elementary my dear Watson.

The UK is the country most attached to fast food, closely followed by the United States, a survey has suggested. People in the UK and the US were the most likely to nominate "no self discipline" as the leading factor in obesity. These two nations also had the most respondents who said they would be unable to give up fast food.

Some 45% in the UK agreed with the statement "I like the taste of fast food too much to give it up", while 44% of Americans said they would be unable to give up their burgers, pizzas and chicken wings.

Douglas Smallwood, chief executive at leading health charity Diabetes UK, said: "This survey is a sad indictment of current eating habits in the UK." Peter Hollins, chief executive of the British Heart Foundation said: "If we are to tackle the growing obesity crisis it is vital that Britain's junk food addiction is addressed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7165990.stm
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

The packaged food industry thrives because I think a lot of people are either a) too lazy to pick up a recipe book or b) seem to have lost their confidence on how to cook or c) never been shown how to cook a meal from scratch despite more cookery shows on telly than I could wave a wooden spoon at..

It makes me very sad that people can't cook and I mean cook.. not just reheat things.. when I first had my son, my neighbour had a baby of the similar age.. we became friends.. she would spend a huge amount of her money on jars of baby food.... My husband was working and earning, hers wasnt... how on earth did she afford it?! I used to buy some brocolli, carrots etc, boil them, push them thru a fine mesh sieve, chuck 'em in some icecube trays and freeze them up... I could make up a months worth of babyfood in about 2 hours... pudding would be either purreed apple or banana etc etc.

She would go to Tescos and buy up 60 jars of baby food for the month.. 30 dinners, 30 puddings...

I still can't get my head around it When I asked her about it, she said she was afraid she would harm the baby if she didnt get the "proper jars"...

Why do people not have the confidence to try things out?

*gets off soapbox and sits back in chair*

Em x
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:59 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

So you've got the double-whammy in the UK then - not only do the Brits consume more pre-packaged ready meals than most of northern Europe put together, but they're just as addicted to the fast food outlets as the aussies.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Brit's main contribution to international culture the fried chip? And, ermm, wasn't it the British that invented the very concept of fast food with the fish and chip shop?

Sure. Total surprise.

Oh well, since none of your family and friends ever stepped within 50metres of a Tescos Chicken Tikka Masala - it must be true for the whole of the yookay! Elementary my dear Watson.

The UK is the country most attached to fast food, closely followed by the United States, a survey has suggested. People in the UK and the US were the most likely to nominate "no self discipline" as the leading factor in obesity. These two nations also had the most respondents who said they would be unable to give up fast food.

Some 45% in the UK agreed with the statement "I like the taste of fast food too much to give it up", while 44% of Americans said they would be unable to give up their burgers, pizzas and chicken wings.

Douglas Smallwood, chief executive at leading health charity Diabetes UK, said: "This survey is a sad indictment of current eating habits in the UK." Peter Hollins, chief executive of the British Heart Foundation said: "If we are to tackle the growing obesity crisis it is vital that Britain's junk food addiction is addressed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7165990.stm
Well....something must be going wrong for Australia...with an obesity rate of 21.7% versus 23% for the UK. Considering Aussies are enjoying such wonderful freshly prepared meals AND the 'outdoor lifestyle' we hear so much about....what's the problem? Especially considering countries such as Canada, Ireland, Germany, France, <insert other western country here> manage sub 15% rates.

I'm not having a dig at Australia....but I think eating habits are generally poor in both countries.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well....something must be going wrong for Australia...with an obesity rate of 21.7% versus 23% for the UK. Considering Aussies are enjoying such wonderful freshly prepared meals AND the 'outdoor lifestyle' we hear so much about....what's the problem? Especially considering countries such as Canada, Ireland, Germany, France, <insert other western country here> manage sub 15% rates.

I'm not having a dig at Australia....but I think eating habits are generally poor in both countries.
Portion sizes I would think... have you seen the size of everything they serve here?! Also having pie shops everywhere too.. everyone just stops for a pie or sausage roll smothered in tomato sauce!

Em x
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep you are wrong. Chips were around way before the British made them popular.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:26 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Belgians might lay claim to chips.

Em, you are right - I reckon portion sizes have a lot to answer for.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:31 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

The Brits invented what may have been the first fast food - the sandwich.

And, ermm, wasn't it the British that invented the very concept of fast food with the fish and chip shop?

Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

jackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well....something must be going wrong for Australia...with an obesity rate of 21.7% versus 23% for the UK. Considering Aussies are enjoying such wonderful freshly prepared meals AND the 'outdoor lifestyle' we hear so much about....what's the problem? Especially considering countries such as Canada, Ireland, Germany, France, manage sub 15% rates.
probably because fresh produce is so expensive and the 'outdoor lifestyle' thingy is a complete myth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.