British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Same brand, different name... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/same-brand-different-name-638108/)

Mrs Vash Oct 29th 2009 1:03 pm

Same brand, different name...

So far, I'm noticing a few things over here that are the same brand as the UK, but have a different name.

Useful if we could compile a list for new expat shoppers :) or has someone already done that?

I'll start with the no brainer because it's exactly the same design...

UK Aus
Douie Egberts coffee = Moccona

scottishcelts Oct 29th 2009 1:25 pm

Re: Same brand, different name...

Originally Posted by Mrs Vash (Post 8054524)
So far, I'm noticing a few things over here that are the same brand as the UK, but have a different name.

Useful if we could compile a list for new expat shoppers :) or has someone already done that?

I'll start with the no brainer because it's exactly the same design...

UK Aus
Douie Egberts coffee = Moccona

Sure - Rexona (deodorant)

Jan4kids Oct 29th 2009 2:23 pm

S26-SMA

framac67 Oct 29th 2009 3:06 pm

vegemite - shit.:rofl:

EverydaySunshine Oct 29th 2009 3:20 pm

What's the same brand as Aptamil Growing Up milk? Thanks.

emelems Oct 29th 2009 8:30 pm

Cuddles (what marketing prat came up with that name :eek:?!) fabric conditioner = lenoir

Blue one smells identical ;)

Em x

Luke I Amyofath Oct 29th 2009 8:43 pm

Rice Krispies=rice bubbles
candy floss=fairy floss
sweets=lollies
burger king=hungry jacks
wettabix=weetbix

Vash the Stampede Oct 29th 2009 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath (Post 8055413)
wettabix=weetbix

Not this one. Weetabix and Weet-Bix are made by two different companies (Weetabix Ltd and Sanitarium respectively).

Weet-Bix is the original product, invented in NSW during the 1920s. Its Australian inventors started a new company for distribution in Britain during the 1930s, where their product was rebadged as "Weetabix". Consequently, both products are Australian in origin.

There's not much to choose between them, but Weetabix seem to be smaller and sweeter.

emigratingherberts Oct 29th 2009 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by framac67 (Post 8054759)
vegemite - shit.:rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

Ditto that for Cadbury's chocolate :thumbdown:

dollface Oct 29th 2009 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 8054570)

How would you know Smelly?:lol:

bcworld Oct 29th 2009 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 8054570)

I knew Aussies in the UK that would swear blind that Sure wasn't the same / as good as Rexona and would get Rexona sent over from Aus! :blink:

Luke I Amyofath Oct 29th 2009 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 8055513)
Not this one. Weetabix and Weet-Bix are made by two different companies (Weetabix Ltd and Sanitarium respectively).

Weet-Bix is the original product, invented in NSW during the 1920s. Its Australian inventors started a new company for distribution in Britain during the 1930s, where their product was rebadged as "Weetabix". Consequently, both products are Australian in origin.

There's not much to choose between them, but Weetabix seem to be smaller and sweeter.

Plus sanitarium brand is owned and run by "committed christians". So that makes them committed to the sanitarium.........

emelems Oct 29th 2009 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8055571)
I knew Aussies in the UK that would swear blind that Sure wasn't the same / as good as Rexona and would get Rexona sent over from Aus! :blink:

Same here with the Marmite brigade... Mymate = Marmite.. I am a marmite lover all my life and I think that they are exactly the same..

Mind you, I am still Old Skool and think that they have weakened Marmite in the UK over the years.. I remember the time when a jar would last about 6 months in the cupboard and if you spread more than a tiny drop on to your toast, it would take your head off..:lol:

Em x

spartacus Oct 29th 2009 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8055644)
Same here with the Marmite brigade... Mymate = Marmite.. I am a marmite lover all my life and I think that they are exactly the same..

Mind you, I am still Old Skool and think that they have weakened Marmite in the UK over the years.. I remember the time when a jar would last about 6 months in the cupboard and if you spread more than a tiny drop on to your toast, it would take your head off..:lol:

Em x

Marmite, like many other 'hard drugs', requires the user (addict) to consume ever greater quantities over time in order to achieve the same 'high' . . .

bcworld Oct 29th 2009 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8055644)

Em x

Marmite......*shudder*!