British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Salary or hourly wage? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/salary-hourly-wage-623570/)

jazzys Aug 3rd 2009 10:11 am

Salary or hourly wage?

Just interested in peoples thoughts regarding wages.

What are the benefits of going on a salary compared to an hourly rate?

Jazzys

Sally Simpson Aug 3rd 2009 10:21 am

Re: Salary or hourly wage?

If you are a supermarket manager, you would def be better off on an hourly rate but that's never gonna happen!:frown:

A lot depends on the hours that you are guaranteed, wether they pay overtime or if you are just expected to do the hours that the job requires & lump it!

jazzys Aug 3rd 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 7807961)
If you are a supermarket manager, you would def be better off on an hourly rate but that's never gonna happen!:frown:

A lot depends on the hours that you are guaranteed, wether they pay overtime or if you are just expected to do the hours that the job requires & lump it!

Not sure of all the details yet sal, will be discussing such things on wednesday.
Just wondered if there was anything i should try and ask about in the discussions.

Jazzys

bobbyftm Aug 3rd 2009 10:42 am

Salary people at our place are made to work every other Friday when the foot soldiers are off mate . :)

Sally Simpson Aug 3rd 2009 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 7807998)
Not sure of all the details yet sal, will be discussing such things on wednesday.
Just wondered if there was anything i should try and ask about in the discussions.

Jazzys

If you are going on an hourly rate, you need a guaranteed number of hours minimum per week written into your contract otherwise if things go quiet you can really get screwed.
If you are on salary, you need to know what are the expected hours per week & do they pay overtime - not all jobs do so be careful on that as again, you can get screwed over.

I assume from the enquiry that you are going for a new job so loads of luck J!:fingerscrossed::thumbsup:

jazzys Aug 3rd 2009 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 7808032)
If you are going on an hourly rate, you need a guaranteed number of hours minimum per week written into your contract otherwise if things go quiet you can really get screwed.
If you are on salary, you need to know what are the expected hours per week & do they pay overtime - not all jobs do so be careful on that as again, you can get screwed over.

I assume from the enquiry that you are going for a new job so loads of luck J!:fingerscrossed::thumbsup:

Cheers guys, yeah sal, second interview on wednesday.

Jazzys

Sally Simpson Aug 3rd 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 7808136)
Cheers guys, yeah sal, second interview on wednesday.

Jazzys

Lots of luck with that then:fingerscrossed:

Also check out expectations for weekends & public holidays & pay rates for same. Some jobs expect you to work them & don't pay extra:thumbdown: