Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Salads and smoothies...

Wikiposts

Salads and smoothies...

Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Salads and smoothies...

Now it's getting warmer, I am losing all interest in stodgy foods and am existing largely on salads and fruit and yogurt and such like... YUM!

However, my range of salads is sadly lacking and tend to include: whatever's in the fridge. And I'm about to try to make a smoothie, but I've never done it before and I'm going to make it up. SO I'd like to know... what is everyone else's favourite salads & smoothies? (With ingredients & instructions please!) I am going to need some variety to sustain my through the long summer!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:21 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salads and smoothies...

http://www.smoothierecipes.com.au/sm...cipes.asp?id=1
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
I found that exact same site when I googled it! But I'm interested to know what people on here have actually tried & liked?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:29 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza
I found that exact same site when I googled it! But I'm interested to know what people on here have actually tried & liked?
I juice a lot but not so big on the smoothies... cucumber, celery, ginger and pear is my fave juice.

However, for smoothies, low fat natural plain yog, tsp honey, scoop protein powder (lowers the GI and makes a meal), tsp vanilla bean paste (you can get this in Coles, paste much better than essence), tsp cinnamon (stabilises blood sugar!) then add in either a banana or mango...

I also use the frozen berries from Coles freezer section... there's a mix of high antioxidant ones which are really nice.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
However, for smoothies, low fat natural plain yog, tsp honey, scoop protein powder (lowers the GI and makes a meal), tsp vanilla bean paste (you can get this in Coles, paste much better than essence), tsp cinnamon (stabilises blood sugar!) then add in either a banana or mango...
Thanks for sharing! That sounds delicious... does the protein powder come from supermarket too? & would the vanilla paste be in the cooking/baking section? I only have essence at home at the mo... perhaps I'll experiment with that!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:39 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup the vanilla paste is a tiny jar with a black lid... baking section.

I get the protein powder from my local health food store... very low in carbs and very high in protein. It's whey protein.
You can get protein powder from Coles but they're higher in carbs - a bit more body building type of powder. Don't rate it myself.
The whey protein one is flavourless and that's why you can add in anything.

I put a teaspoon of cocoa powder in too... very nice.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:39 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Cant beat an Ice Coffee

Wife makes em in the summer.

Coffee
Sugar
Ice Cream
Milk

dunno the exact ratio of ingredients.. but gives me brain freeze a caffeine fix and chils me out in one HIT !
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Best smoothie ever -

Banana, 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream (i use low/no fat), 3 - 4 scoops of fat free vanilla yoghurt (but you can use other flavours) and then enough milk to make it runny, then whizz with a whizzer!

Also add a handful of toasted musli, once you have done the initial whizzing (sultanas and all), and its like drinking a full meal. YUM YUM!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:18 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Try adding fruit to salads, it's yummy.

For smoothies I use whatever fruit I can get hold of and add a little juice, yoghurt or ice cream.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:27 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Now it's getting warmer, I am losing all interest in stodgy foods and am existing largely on salads and fruit and yogurt and such like... YUM!

However, my range of salads is sadly lacking and tend to include: whatever's in the fridge. And I'm about to try to make a smoothie, but I've never done it before and I'm going to make it up. SO I'd like to know... what is everyone else's favourite salads & smoothies? (With ingredients & instructions please!) I am going to need some variety to sustain my through the long summer!
can't help with smoothie as I think they are revolting but here is a nice salad recipe.

2 heads of brocolli chopped into small pieces
8 rashes of streaky bacon grilled to crisp and chopped
half cup of sultanas
half cup of toasted pinenuts
half cup of sunflower seeds
half red onion chopped finely

mix all of those together. dressing is

three quarters cup of egg mayo
quarter cup of white vinegar
quarter cup of caster sugar

mix dressing ingredients together and mix into the rest of the ingredients.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

salad -
Mixed greens, pineapple, peach, cherry tomato and tuna, cucumber, nuts( walnuts, pinetree seeds, unsalted cashew)
Sounds weird but is great
Buy a juice centerfuge .
We got one 2 wks ago and fab, best was
1 kiwi
1 pear
Strawberries
Pineapple
half a papaya
Mix with crushed ice
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Fav smoothies

1 Mango
1 Banana
Vanilla yoghurt (Pauls)
Ice
milk to make right consistency

or

6 strawberries
1 banana
vanilla yoghurt
ice
milk
dessert spoon honey

Fav salad (may not be light enough for you but I love it)

baby new potatoes in skins (boiled)
bacon
boiled egg
Paul Newmans honey & mustard light dressing
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

if you have a juicer i don't think you can beat plain and simple - cold carrot juice - yumm it soo sweet!!