Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Saddam to be Hanged!

Wikiposts

Saddam to be Hanged!

Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:30 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Saddam to be hung

Originally Posted by Wife Beater
The verdict is in. He is to be hung by the neck until dead. I will not lose any sleep over it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6117910.stm
I am against the death penalty, but I guess it could'nt happen to a more deserving guy.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:36 am
Banned

Billy Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saddam to be hung

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
I am against the death penalty, but I guess it could'nt happen to a more deserving guy.
I think every morning they should take him out for hanging, place the rope round his neck, then at the last moment say "nah I think we will do it tomorrow" mind games is far better
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:40 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Saddam to be hung

Originally Posted by Billy Banana
I think every morning they should take him out for hanging, place the rope round his neck, then at the last moment say "nah I think we will do it tomorrow" mind games is far better
LOL, yes, send him insane
Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:49 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Saddam to be hung

Originally Posted by Elvira
Also worth mentioning that the French did not have the luxury of a channel separating them from German invaders.
Indeed.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 11:47 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that the Americans were directly responsible for the verdict? Do you have proof?

Personally, I happen to believe that that the Iraqis are perfectly capable of conducting a criminal trial all by themselves, and that this is precisely what they've just done.[

"The biggest lie of all may be that this is an open and fair trial. It was a legal process sold by its US sponsors as the Nuremberg of Iraq, a reckoning for decades of murder and abuse by Saddam and his lieutenants in the Baath party.
At first, Iraqis presented it in slightly different terms: an opportunity to come to terms with their country's past in a huge judicial act of memory and reconciliation. But as the months have dragged into a long year, a different dynamic has emerged. Sectarian and insurgent violence has worsened in parallel with the stop-start of the legal process, the trial has become less important as a process that has the ability to investigate and judge and heal. Instead it has instead become an end in itself: a mechanism with no other point than to convict and execute Saddam in the hope that somehow it might staunch the violence."

The Yanks don't want to tackle these other guys for two main reasons: (a) because it would be a much harder job, and/or (b) because some of them still have tenuous links to the Bush Administration.

(c) Lack of oil, and they're shagging the Saudis!

The trial itself, three letters for you Vash.........................CIA
Old Nov 6th 2006, 11:48 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
And the majority of the english language is french

I know what you are trying to say but the majority of the British language is actually a mix of Latin and Anglo Saxon. Emotional and psychological elements are latinised while physical and constructive tend to be Anglo Saxon.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Flip was a Greek, one with a talent for insulting other races.
I'm not.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:20 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
"Just rolled over"? The French lost 562,000 lives in WWII; 212,000 military, 267,000 civilian and 83,000 in the Holocaust. That's about 110,000 more than the Brits.

You don't lose 212,000 soldiers by "rolling over"; you lose them by fighting.

The capitulation was opposed by many members of the French government (including the Prime Minister), who argued that the government should relocate to an allied country and continue fighting the Germans with the French Navy.

Surrender was finally (and reluctantly) agreed by the Cabinet after they realised that (a) a German victory was inevitable and (b) the only other nation willing to fight Germany at this time was Great Britain (whose troops had already fled from France after a token resistance against the German invaders). When the armistice was declared, the French Prime Minister resigned in protest.

This was not about preserving French heritage; it was about preserving French lives.

Following the liberation of France, members of the Vichy government were arrested, tried and sentenced as enemies of the state. Some were executed.

They did not let the Germans "steal their entire fleet". The French navy was never in German hands.

Its fate was mixed:
  • French ships in British ports were commandeered by the Royal Navy

• The French Naval squadron in Algeria did not see action, as it was destroyed by the British after refusing all terms of surrender

• The French Naval squadron in Alexandria did not see action, as its commander (General Godefroy) agreed to remove his forces from the theatre of war after negotiations with Admiral Cunningham of the RN

Consequently, the French Navy was of no use to the Nazis.

The Vichy government was not supported by a majority of the French population; its creation was little more than a strategic move by political opponents of De Gaulle, who saw their chance to seize control of the nation. You can't blame the French people for the stupidity and cowardice of their politicians. If that was a legitimate argument, I could equally claim that all Britons are lying bastards because Tony Blair relied on half-baked evidence from a "dodgy dossier" to fabricate a reason for invading Iraq.

Bottom line: the French were doomed from the start. Having successfully rendered the Maginot Line obsolete, the Germans swept into France with minimal losses and took control of the capital in record time. In response, a bunch of cowards in the French government chose to capitulate, while others chose to fight on.

:

Actually the bottom line was that France, Britain and other countries were so unprepared and ill-equipped for war, even though the warning signs were there, that they were easily out-maneuvered and routed. How many times did Chamberlain and the weak British and French governments give in to Hitler's demands for more territory previously.

As for the Maginot Line being outdated, if the Belgians had allowed the French to extend the line further, the Werhmacht would not have been able to get in behind and attack from the vulnerable rear.

In your statistics on French casualties, how many refer to casualties suffered to Frenchmen fighting Frenchmen? In a way Britain declared war on France by destroying their Mediterranean Fleet when France was technically a non-combatant after the surrender. When the Allies invaded French North Africa, the Vichy troops there only put up a token resistance before throwing in the towel again.

As for French opportunists that seized power in Vichy, why in that statement did you forget to mention that De Gaulle was not an elected member of the French gov't, in fact not even a politician but an opportunist that seized the moment to further his own agenda? So how could they seize control of the gov't from De Gualle? Apparently even Churchill and FDR didn't like the man. Their preference as French commander was a Vichy French officer.

Last edited by The Bloke; Nov 6th 2006 at 12:37 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Saddam to be hung

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
"The biggest lie of all may be that this is an open and fair trial. It was a legal process sold by its US sponsors as the Nuremberg of Iraq, a reckoning for decades of murder and abuse by Saddam and his lieutenants in the Baath party.
At first, Iraqis presented it in slightly different terms: an opportunity to come to terms with their country's past in a huge judicial act of memory and reconciliation. But as the months have dragged into a long year, a different dynamic has emerged. Sectarian and insurgent violence has worsened in parallel with the stop-start of the legal process, the trial has become less important as a process that has the ability to investigate and judge and heal. Instead it has instead become an end in itself: a mechanism with no other point than to convict and execute Saddam in the hope that somehow it might staunch the violence."
Where is this quote from, and what is the point of it?

(c) Lack of oil, and they're shagging the Saudis!
Yes, that too.

The trial itself, three letters for you Vash.........................CIA
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Saddam to be hung

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Actually the bottom line was that France, Britain and other countries were so unprepared and ill-equipped for war, even though the warning signs were there, that they were easily out-maneuvered and routed. How many times did Chamberlain and the weak British and French governments give in to Hitler's demands for more territory previously.
Indeed. So cowardice does not actually come into it at all.

As for the Maginot Line being outdated, if the Belgians had allowed the French to extend the line further, the Werhmacht would not have been able to get in behind and attack from the vulnerable rear.
I didn't say it was "outdated", I said it was rendered obsolete. And it was rendered obsolete by German tactics which involved a neat circumnavigation of the entire Line (something that no-one appears to have anticipated). I agree that if the French had succeeded in extending it, events would have been very different.

In your statistics on French casualties, how many refer to casualties suffered to Frenchmen fighting Frenchmen? In a way Britain declared war on France by destroying their Mediterranean Fleet when France was technically a non-combatant after the surrender. When the Allies invaded French North Africa, the Vichy troops there only put up a token resistance before throwing in the towel again.
I don't know how many Vichy soldiers were killed by Allied troops, but it wasn't a lot. I do know that the French lost more than a thousand men in the destruction of the Mediterannean fleet. I don't know how many they lost in subsequent engagements with the Allies.

In any case, all of this disproves Swerv-o's allegation that the French were cowards.

As for French opportunists that seized power in Vichy, why in that statement did you forget to mention that De Gaulle was not an elected member of the French gov't, in fact not even a politician but an opportunist that seized the moment to further his own agenda? So how could they seize control of the gov't from De Gualle?
I never claimed he was a member of the government, I never claimed that he was a politician, and I never claimed that the Vichy opportunists seized power from De Gaulle.

Yes, De Gaulle "seized the moment to further his own agenda"; that's a given. But his agenda was at least a worthy one.

Apparently even Churchill and FDR didn't like the man. Their preference as French commander was a Vichy French officer.
It didn't stop them supprting him.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:11 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Yupp, the french are a proud people.

Can you imagine a picture like this with the back drop being big ben........
Old Nov 6th 2006, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeClan Fortune has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
i think its a bit harsh !

i think he should be made to read everything that bix posts, soon top himself .......2 weeks later...........i know im close to it
Oh you cant say that?????
now if it was frazier?????????
Old Nov 6th 2006, 10:22 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Where is this quote from, and what is the point of it?

Yes, that too.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Maybe I'm a bit of a sucker for the whole "men behind closed doors" thing. Vash, the quote was from a recent article in the observer and it is very believable if you'd followed the press around the time of the formation of the justice system, of course america sold it to the iraqis and of course there was only going to be one outcome. Your rolleyes at the cia remark is quite amusing, i guarantee they're involved somewhere along the line, they always are...........just reference any guerrilla war to topple a totalitarian force in the last 40 years.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 10:41 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. So cowardice does not actually come into it at all.

I didn't say it was "outdated", I said it was rendered obsolete. And it was rendered obsolete by German tactics which involved a neat circumnavigation of the entire Line (something that no-one appears to have anticipated). I agree that if the French had succeeded in extending it, events would have been very different.

I don't know how many Vichy soldiers were killed by Allied troops, but it wasn't a lot. I do know that the French lost more than a thousand men in the destruction of the Mediterannean fleet. I don't know how many they lost in subsequent engagements with the Allies.

In any case, all of this disproves Swerv-o's allegation that the French were cowards.

I never claimed he was a member of the government, I never claimed that he was a politician, and I never claimed that the Vichy opportunists seized power from De Gaulle.

Yes, De Gaulle "seized the moment to further his own agenda"; that's a given. But his agenda was at least a worthy one.

It didn't stop them supprting him.
I didn't say that the French were cowards - that was somebody else. I suggested that the French surrendered far too quickly, and then in the post surrender ceasefire made decisions that would have lead to the rendering of considerable french assets into the hands of the Nazi's - for example the French fleet refusing to surrender in the mediteranean to the British.

The Germans did try to take the French fleet at Tuoson, but the commander there ordered the fleet scuttled. Unfortunately, because the fleet was so disparately spread across the Med, other commanders weren't quite as forthcoming, hence Churchill (reluctantly) ordered the destruction of the fleet. If I recall correctly, the French even declined an offer of safe passage to American waters so that they could re-group and fight as part of the Free French forces.

Amusingly ironic, coming from a Pom.

How's the British Empire these days?
I might also point out that the Royal Navy and Marines are one of the few fighting forces that have fought and won a successful, protracted overseas campaign, since the close of World War 2. It is also worth noting that this victory was achieved in the face of large odds, a locally based modern airforce, adverse weather conditions, extreme hardship for the forces involved and was done so completely alone, without the support of any other major military nation. This was certainly not the action of cowards.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:21 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wife Beater

Yupp, the french are a proud people.

Can you imagine a picture like this with the back drop being big ben........
yes. and if the yanks hadn't joined the war it would have happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.