Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sad news about BundyMum

Sad news about BundyMum

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 12:39 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sad news about BundyMum

Originally Posted by WendyC
When my mum died I didn't "grieve" in the conventional way either. It hit me about a year later. Everyone takes it at their own pace. Bundy will deal with it when she is ready.

GP's eh, think they know it all

I think my GP forgets that we knew my mum's cancer was terminal when it was diagnosed and therefore had two years to deal with it. We did, in effect, grieve for much of those two years. The hospice staff were so amazing - truly amazing - at getting us to talk and think about how we were feeling that I feel like I've done my grieving. I cry when I need to, and I feel happy too when I think about mum. There's a sense of emptiness and I miss her very much indeed. But I don't think I'm sitting on my grief...I just think I've dealt with it in different ways.

And then there's the fact that when I went for pre-bereavement counselling ( ) they told me that I was basically uncounsellable, if that makes sense, because I'm highly analytical, very self-aware, not in any denial and totally in control of my emotions. Basically, the problems I had were practical (at the time, mum's illness, dad's breakdown, my impending redundancy, the break up with Mr B etc etc and now, well, mum's death). The problems are still practical so I deal with them practically, by talking about them with family and friends and allowing myself to feel sad.

But hey-ho. I'm sure it won't do any harm to go to the counsellor and just check that I'm not, in fact, living a life of total denial!

BTW - I've got a place on the Great North Run and will be running for mum's hospice cos I promised I would. See, doing something practical yet again
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bundy
I think my GP forgets that we knew my mum's cancer was terminal when it was diagnosed and therefore had two years to deal with it. We did, in effect, grieve for much of those two years. The hospice staff were so amazing - truly amazing - at getting us to talk and think about how we were feeling that I feel like I've done my grieving. I cry when I need to, and I feel happy too when I think about mum. There's a sense of emptiness and I miss her very much indeed. But I don't think I'm sitting on my grief...I just think I've dealt with it in different ways.

And then there's the fact that when I went for pre-bereavement counselling ( ) they told me that I was basically uncounsellable, if that makes sense, because I'm highly analytical, very self-aware, not in any denial and totally in control of my emotions. Basically, the problems I had were practical (at the time, mum's illness, dad's breakdown, my impending redundancy, the break up with Mr B etc etc and now, well, mum's death). The problems are still practical so I deal with them practically, by talking about them with family and friends and allowing myself to feel sad.

But hey-ho. I'm sure it won't do any harm to go to the counsellor and just check that I'm not, in fact, living a life of total denial!

BTW - I've got a place on the Great North Run and will be running for mum's hospice cos I promised I would. See, doing something practical yet again

It was the same for me as my Mum had terminal cancer for over a year aswell, so I can relate to what you are saying. There is times even now that I think of her and feel really sad (she died August 2004) and others where I sit and giggle at the silly things she did or said.

I think you are doing fine and sounds to me like you are enjoying life. I'm sure that's what your Mum would have wanted.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 12:54 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
It was the same for me as my Mum had terminal cancer for over a year aswell, so I can relate to what you are saying. There is times even now that I think of her and feel really sad (she died August 2004) and others where I sit and giggle at the silly things she did or said.

I think you are doing fine and sounds to me like you are enjoying life. I'm sure that's what your Mum would have wanted.

...sometimes I feel secretly jealous that I can seem to bring myself to wallow in self-pity, wail and howl and be bloodyminded, lose 6 stone and look distracted...
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 12:55 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're coping just fine, for your situation! (well, according to what I've learned from tv )
Geez, and how long does the 'bad luck' have to go on for!! Hope your brother gets a job soon!

So how is your job going? Is it going anywhere?
Not sure about mine at the moment, though it's going to look much better on my resume than 'receptionist', and I'll be able to get something better in a year or so.

Well, 4/5 hours away from the baby, that's nothing for you after living in Nundle!! Good stuff!

Ohhh, good luck with the run! Are you training for it? (it sounds like it's some sort of marathon?)
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 1:04 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

...sometimes I feel secretly jealous that I can seem to bring myself to wallow in self-pity, wail and howl and be bloodyminded, lose 6 stone and look distracted...
6 stone! I have no idea how many kilos that is, I just know it's plenty, and you were already thin. Right, it's dinner time for you now isn't it? STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER AND GO AND EAT. AND HAVE A BIG DESSERT.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 2:26 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally Posted by Simone
6 stone! I have no idea how many kilos that is, I just know it's plenty, and you were already thin. Right, it's dinner time for you now isn't it? STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER AND GO AND EAT. AND HAVE A BIG DESSERT.

Well the six stone thing was a bit of an exaggeration, but it's the principle that counts....

Counselling session proved that I am not, in fact, nuts. Just mildly depressed (!!!) and suffering from nervous anxiety. In other words, I worry to much, about too many things and too many people. And with my family history of OCD, panic disorder, social anxiety (and that's just my dad!), I'm being referred for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to stop me winding myself up.

Now I'm worried about that
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I'm being referred for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to stop me winding myself up.
I do CBT for a living
If you want any information just ask.

G
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:18 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I do CBT for a living

G
Lovely to see you G Ah Bundy good to hear you dealing with your loss. Just take care ok?
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:41 pm
She's a bird, you know

I do CBT for a living

G
Ah yes, so you do. I remember now.

I've been given vast chapters of Mind Over Mood to read. Bound to have questions after that....

How are you G? Long time, no hear (although clearly I've been in hiding for a while now )
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, so you do. I remember now.

I've been given vast chapters of Mind Over Mood to read. Bound to have questions after that....

How are you G? Long time, no hear (although clearly I've been in hiding for a while now )
Im Ok thanks.

Sorry about all your bad news.

I don't pop in all that often now....far too busy

Have a look here:

http://www.babcp.org.uk/

G
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:46 pm
She's a bird, you know

Im Ok thanks.

Sorry about all your bad news.

I don't pop in all that often now....far too busy

Have a look here:

http://www.babcp.org.uk/

G

Thanks G, you're a star.

My dad's been having CBT for the last year now and it's done wonders for him, so I know it works. I'm being open-minded - I didn't think I was that bad.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:48 pm
Bitter and twisted

I'm being open-minded - I didn't think I was that bad.
Prevention is better than cure

G
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:49 pm
She's a bird, you know

Prevention is better than cure

G

Very true. And I doubt I'm the best qualified person to judge my own mental state.

Oooh, a world without worrying. I won't know what to do with myself.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Very true. And I doubt I'm the best qualified person to judge my own mental state.

Oooh, a world without worrying. I won't know what to do with myself.
Nothing wrong with worrying....it is a natural process.

It's what you worry about that matters.

G
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:52 pm
She's a bird, you know

Nothing wrong with worrying....it is a natural process.

It's what you worry about that matters.

G

Bl*ody everything.

I even worry that I'm not worrying if I don't have anything to worry about...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.