Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sad day for Australia.

Wikiposts

Sad day for Australia.

Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sad day for Australia.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Immigration Minister Chris Bowen says the nine-year-old boy orphaned in the Christmas Island shipwreck will be released from detention next week and will be able to live in a house in Sydney.
(Source).

$300,000 to cover the funerals for the dead, plus flights and accommodation for the relatives; now a 9 year old orphan is released from detention so he can live with his extended family in Sydney.

I can't see anything to be ashamed of. Three cheers for the Australian government today!

Bit too late in my opinion. The minister only reacting after realising how incredibly insensitive his decision was and how embarrassing it looks for Australia. For Bowen to not realize this is beyond belief.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

C'mon .. a few years ago they'd have sent him back, then rounded up his extended family and sent them back with him.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:29 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Politician on the news this morning reckons there are 500 or so unaccompanied kids in immigration detention.

If this is true it's pretty shocking and means that this boy only got released because he was on the telly.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:21 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Immigration Minister Chris Bowen says the nine-year-old boy orphaned in the Christmas Island shipwreck will be released from detention next week and will be able to live in a house in Sydney.
(Source).

$300,000 to cover the funerals for the dead, plus flights and accommodation for the relatives; now a 9 year old orphan is released from detention so he can live with his extended family in Sydney.

I can't see anything to be ashamed of. Three cheers for the Australian government today!

The Government should be bloody ashamed. $300,000 its a bloody joke. Why should we pay. The goverment hasnt offered to pay for me to fly over for funerals.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:31 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Playing Devils Advocate here, just because they're family doesn't make them the best people to look after the child. They could be crack-heads, have no money to feed him, perverts, anything.

How would the Government look if they sent him to live with these people (ones he probably hasn't seen for years on end) and then he gets abused or neglected by them, or he runs away?

It's not nice that he has to go to the detention centre there but I don't think he'll be treated like a prisoner. They'll have social workers who will be there for him while his family will be assessed to see if they can care for the boy properly.

I say good on the Australian Government for not just dumping him with people who happen to be family.
Except for the fact that like any child (regardless of their origin) who loses his parents they will be sent to the next of kin, with due-dilligence paid to the living circumstances of the child in the new home. I'm sure the boy would rather be close to people he knows rather than on a frickin island that is 1 thousands of kilometres from nowhere. I'm not saying they should just place him in the custody of his remaining family no questions asked, but he certainly should not be sent back to Xmas Island