Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Sad day for Australia.

Wikiposts

Sad day for Australia.

Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sad day for Australia.

Sending the 9 year old boy back to Christmas Island after he attended his fathers funeral in Sydney is an utter disgrace. He also lost his mother and sister and is now alone. No child should be in detention, one that has just lost his family is beyond comprehension. In Sydney he has relatives that can also help console him. In Sydney they must also have far better facilities for helping this boy. I cannot for the life of me understand why the have sent this poor child back. I believe this child will be given leave to remain in Australia but that doesn't excuse what they are doing to him now.

Shame on the Australian Government today.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sad day for Australia.

I agree.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Sending the 9 year old boy back to Christmas Island after he attended his fathers funeral in Sydney is an utter disgrace. He also lost his mother and sister and is now alone. No child should be in detention, one that has just lost his family is beyond comprehension. In Sydney he has relatives that can also help console him. In Sydney they must also have far better facilities for helping this boy. I cannot for the life of me understand why the have sent this poor child back. I believe this child will be given leave to remain in Australia but that doesn't excuse what they are doing to him now.

Even hard-right me agrees with you on this.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Playing Devils Advocate here, just because they're family doesn't make them the best people to look after the child. They could be crack-heads, have no money to feed him, perverts, anything.

How would the Government look if they sent him to live with these people (ones he probably hasn't seen for years on end) and then he gets abused or neglected by them, or he runs away?

It's not nice that he has to go to the detention centre there but I don't think he'll be treated like a prisoner. They'll have social workers who will be there for him while his family will be assessed to see if they can care for the boy properly.

I say good on the Australian Government for not just dumping him with people who happen to be family.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:19 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Sad day for Australia.

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Playing Devils Advocate here, just because they're family doesn't make them the best people to look after the child. They could be crack-heads, have no money to feed him, perverts, anything.

How would the Government look if they sent him to live with these people (ones he probably hasn't seen for years on end) and then he gets abused or neglected by them, or he runs away?

It's not nice that he has to go to the detention centre there but I don't think he'll be treated like a prisoner. They'll have social workers who will be there for him while his family will be assessed to see if they can care for the boy properly.

I say good on the Australian Government for not just dumping him with people who happen to be family.
Fair point.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't say they should put him straight in with the family. But they are family and it would be at least comforting for the boy if they where close at hand.

Sydney would be a much better environment for the boy and much better facilities to help this poor child.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:54 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

but I don't think he'll be treated like a prisoner.
Would he be able to leave of his own free will?

Are there fences with razor wire surrounding the detention centre designed to keep people in?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Even hard-right me agrees with you on this.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:33 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Elice,you have created a monster
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/deta...-1226007666210

[The nine-year-old boy orphaned in the Christmas Island boat disaster will be released from detention and put in the care of his relatives in Sydney.]
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:56 pm
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by curly
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/deta...-1226007666210

[The nine-year-old boy orphaned in the Christmas Island boat disaster will be released from detention and put in the care of his relatives in Sydney.]
Ah the power of BE,ok now who else need's releasing
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:59 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Sad day for Australia.

Immigration Minister Chris Bowen says the nine-year-old boy orphaned in the Christmas Island shipwreck will be released from detention next week and will be able to live in a house in Sydney.
(Source).

$300,000 to cover the funerals for the dead, plus flights and accommodation for the relatives; now a 9 year old orphan is released from detention so he can live with his extended family in Sydney.

I can't see anything to be ashamed of. Three cheers for the Australian government today!

Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Immigration Minister Chris Bowen says the nine-year-old boy orphaned in the Christmas Island shipwreck will be released from detention next week and will be able to live in a house in Sydney.
(Source).

$300,000 to cover the funerals for the dead, plus flights and accommodation for the relatives; now a 9 year old orphan is released from detention so he can live with his extended family in Sydney.

I can't see anything to be ashamed of. Three cheers for the Australian government today!

Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:04 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the only person ashamed of themselves is the opposition migration spokesman who admitted a day later the timing of his comments were awful.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
(Source).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.