Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

S..T Towns in Australia.

S..T Towns in Australia.

Old Mar 5th 2020, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S..T Towns in Australia.

Port Pirie has a major lead problem, and in the news for it again this week. I remember playing a rep footy game there late 60’s and their players repeatedly used me as a step ladder. it didn’t seem like a very nice place.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 8:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JDW
Albury-Wodonga gets my vote. The latter is by far the worst, a pet food manufacturer out in the suburbs turns the town into a stinkpit when the wind blows to the west. Property values and rentals are inflated beyond belief and many locals display a smug sense of self-entitlement at their good luck to be living there.

Albury is the place where hopes go to die. The city itself is physically pleasant enough, too bad about the locals who act like they live in trees and come down now and then to gape and gawk at the visitors. True, there are good people everywhere, but in Albury they appear to avoid the CBD like the plague.

East Albury (where our friends live and we visit several times a year) is bearable (in the right parts) but Lavington gets the majority vote as the area everyone would love to see nuked.

Country towns in general in New South Wales and Victoria are cultural cesspits and many function entirely as dumping grounds for society's disadvantaged. Drugs are everywhere. The pushers do their deals openly in the sidewalks and in the parking lots and the shopping malls and the police walk by looking the other way. Our public library (in one of the major 'regional center' in Victoria) gets roasted for having only eight computers and banning online gamblers and game players. Don't get me started on the pubs. Cafes push trans fats and lousy coffee. The rest I can put up with (at a distance), but the lousy coffee... puke!!

Meantime in Sanur (Bali) where we now live, life is as pleasant as it can get. In the past year six lots of Aussies have relocated to our neighborhood and all agree that leaving Australia was the best move they could have made.
Each to their own, I can't think of anything worse than living in Bali. As the old saying goes, nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 8:42 am
Asian nomad

scrubbedexpat019 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Each to their own, I can't think of anything worse than living in Bali. As the old saying goes, nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there.
Am inclined to agree, given recent problems with our landlord and the rapacity of the local businesses when a buleh dares enter their premises. But there is Bali and there is Sanur. Two entirely different worlds.

I may have been a tad rough on poor Albury. After all, my friends live there, and we visit them a few times a year, for long weekends and pleasant times, mostly in their verdantly green back yard. The local pub does a decent slap-up lunch and dinner and some of the local wines deserve better than to be called 'paint thinner'. Culturally it's largely a wasteland, but geographically it has a few redeeming features, a lot of lovely countryside, and a few charming small towns with Sunday markets if one enjoys browsing tables of $15 pots of jam. Just like in Canberra during my years there, but let's not go into that.

As for Wodonga, to borrow an oft-uttered line from the Honorable (!) MP from Wagga Wagga, "I resile nothing".
Old Mar 11th 2020, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
So I've heard

Imagine Rockingham without the beach and poms.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 9:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Imagine Rockingham without the beach and poms.
Is that even possible????
Old Mar 11th 2020, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Is that even possible????
Just put on some crap rap music with Holden Commores revving in the background, throw some chips in some three month old hot oil, close your eyes and you're there.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Logan covers a pretty large area, and at least some of it (Rochedale South, Daisy Hill, etc.) is actually quite nice by any suburban standard.

By contrast, there is nothing that can save the coal-powered boom-and-bust towns of inland North Queensland, e.g. Moranbah and Collinsville. Or lead-pollution central, Mt. Isa.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Surprised by the finalists in the WA section of that site in the original post link.

Port Hedland, sure, but that one's obvious. But Kalgoorlie? It's not that bad and actually has some good restaurants, nightlife, Outback vibe and some interesting things to do. I look forwards to my visits there.

Same with Broome and Geraldton.

Old Mar 14th 2020, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to call it. Driven up and down the east coast several times (Carins - Bega, not all stretches at once). 90% of east coast beach towns are shit. Of these, 40% are utter shit holes, and the other 60% kind of dumpy, flat, boring and even a bit eerie.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed in Geraldton a few months ago and found it very wanting. Nice in the day, with the beachside improvements, but nighttime far too many aggro people on the streets, police sirens seemingly constant and while we were there, a near riot in one of the inner suburbs.
Meth ice of course is enormous in adding to the problems of country WA. Little is done and increasingly it appears to be tolerated regardless of the problems it causes.