Wikiposts

Rust?

Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rust?

Hi,

Is it me or does everything here go rusty?

My kitchen stuff from Target is going rusty super quick here. Im north of Perth.
Got a stainless steel utensil set about 8wks ago and its looking rusty as is other items Ive bought here.
Its driving me nuts as stuff looks awful now.
Im thinking its either not stainless steel or something in the water,air?

Also outside the trampoline has got rust bits on it as does then swing set, both only 12months old. It hardly rains here but sand blows about.
We are near the beach.
I had swing set for several years before it went rusty, when we lived in the UK. I also cant remember my kitchen stuff going rusty in UK and Europe.

Anything I can do?

Gems
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rust?

Originally Posted by Gems
We are near the beach.
That's your answer for the outside items. If it's not galvanised the salt in the air will corrode "stuff".

We're building a house about 800mm from the sea and the ties inside (!) the double-brick walls are from special galvanised steel; otherwise they'd corrode. (Everything else "steel" that goes into the build has to be galvanised as well.)

No idea why your kitchen utensils are getting rusty. Maybe they weren't really stainless steel?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My kitchen stuff from Target is going rusty super quick here. Im north of Perth.
Got a stainless steel utensil set about 8wks ago and its looking rusty as is other items Ive bought here.

Also outside the trampoline has got rust bits on it as does then swing set, both only 12months old. It hardly rains here but sand blows about.
We are near the beach.
I had swing set for several years before it went rusty, when we lived in the UK. I also cant remember my kitchen stuff going rusty in UK and Europe.

Anything I can do?

Gems
Some stainless steels are of better quality than others. Cheap stainless will "rust". There are many different grades, and utensils , barbys etc are usually made of the cheaper stuff to keep costs down. Nothing that a good clean won't fix.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:18 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Rust?

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
We're building a house about 800mm from the sea
800 millimetres from the sea?!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Must be metres, or scuba gear will be required!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
That's your answer for the outside items. If it's not galvanised the salt in the air will corrode "stuff".

We're building a house about 800mm from the sea and the ties inside (!) the double-brick walls are from special galvanised steel; otherwise they'd corrode. (Everything else "steel" that goes into the build has to be galvanised as well.)

No idea why your kitchen utensils are getting rusty. Maybe they weren't really stainless steel?
Wall ties everywhere have to be galvanised or stainless steel, other wise through water penetration they would fail when corrosion occurs, as are angle beads for plastering and nails for plasterboards, back boxes for electrics, lintels, etc etc.....

Last edited by bu1lder; Jun 2nd 2009 at 12:01 am.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Gems
Do you clean your kitchen stuff in a dishwasher? We used to and found rust spots fairly quickly, since the we hand wash these items and don't see any rust.

I have a lot of offshore equipment in Geraldton and Dongara which no matter where I store it gets rusty...even indoor storage. I recently had to junk a $500K USD Electric Coiled Tubing due to rust...not funny. I think maybe the high winds and proximity to the ocean increase the salinity in the air around the Batavia Coast.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

buchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant future

Same problem here but mainly with cutlery that goes through the dishwasher, always washed it in UK with dishwasher but for some reason here it rusts. As regards outdoor stuff our sons football table has gone outside, it was delivered here 5 weeks ago and it has started to rust - it is under cover, I can only assume it is something to do with Geraldton as thats where we live aswell!!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

A quick test for good quality stainless steel when you're buying, stick a magnet on it. Good quality 316(food grade) or 304 stainless steel is non magnetic so if the magnet sticks it has a high iron content and WILL rust in humid or wet conditions.

Chris.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 8:23 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We are near the beach.

Anything I can do?

Gems

No steel is truly stainless, anybody who say it is will probably try selling you magic beans too. Make sure after cleaning you wipe it over with a fine oil cooking/olive would be fine, you don't need to be able to see the oil just moisten some kitchen paper with it and wipe over the entire surface and a very fine protective layer will remain. It goes without saying that salty atmospheres (anywhere near the sea) will corrode any iron or steel work that much faster as salt is a catalyst of the rusting process (makes it happen faster and more readily).

Hope this helps
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Perhaps it's on stilts
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:27 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
No steel is truly stainless, anybody who say it is will probably try selling you magic beans too. Make sure after cleaning you wipe it over with a fine oil cooking/olive would be fine, you don't need to be able to see the oil just moisten some kitchen paper with it and wipe over the entire surface and a very fine protective layer will remain. It goes without saying that salty atmospheres (anywhere near the sea) will corrode any iron or steel work that much faster as salt is a catalyst of the rusting process (makes it happen faster and more readily).

Hope this helps
how much do you want for those magic beans anyway? That's only if you're selling of course.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:31 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisling
A quick test for good quality stainless steel when you're buying, stick a magnet on it. Good quality 316(food grade) or 304 stainless steel is non magnetic so if the magnet sticks it has a high iron content and WILL rust in humid or wet conditions.

Chris.
Nice one mate, will remember that tip.

ps - where can I buy myself a magnet? Only place I can think of, is a toy shop.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Great input. Kitchen stuff is handwashed.

Will get hubby to find a magnet at school
Also give the cooking oil a try.

Gems
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

Originally Posted by asprilla
Nice one mate, will remember that tip.

ps - where can I buy myself a magnet? Only place I can think of, is a toy shop.
The one I use at work is a little telescopic one that clips in your pocket like a pen, that came from a tool shop but a fridge magnet will do the job as good.

Chris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.