British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Rugby World Cup 2019 thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/rugby-world-cup-2019-thread-927781/)

Amazulu Oct 21st 2019 5:56 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12751695)
I don't know what Amazulu meant and I wasn't really thinking about that, I just thought that he (and anyone) might be interested in watching a great video of a surprise choir supporting the Springboks. They're wonderful and very uplifting to watch. Back in my box now.

I was referring to the fact that the Irish fans sang one of their rebel songs, drowning out the haka. This drew the ire of the ABs and the IRB as it was showing disrespect to the haka - which is not allowed. Some of the AB players took it personally apparently. Pathetic I know but there it is

Your link was indeed superb

BEVS Oct 21st 2019 6:50 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12751694)
The haka can indeed be a celebration, although yes, it doesn't appear to be used this way by the All Blacks.

Correct. It isn't. It is a war chant.
At least they've stopped with the slice the throat death job.

BEVS Oct 21st 2019 6:56 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12751696)
I was referring to the fact that the Irish fans sang one of their rebel songs, drowning out the haka. This drew the ire of the ABs and the IRB as it was showing disrespect to the haka - which is not allowed. Some of the AB players took it personally apparently. Pathetic I know but there it is

Oh well.

It was the usual Irish sports anthem. Fields of Athenry. It is a ballad .

One of the irritations is the insistance that the haka is done after the anthems. It has been suggested in the past that if they want their haka they do it before the anthems .


BEVS Oct 21st 2019 7:07 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12751692)
The ABs use the haka as a means of psychological warfare and as free advertising for their 'brand'.

Yes.


Opposing teams should be allowed to respond to it however they feel
,
Yes.

To be clear . My view is that if the pacific nations wish to haka per their culture then that is fine if both teams are happy with that.
The ABs mis-use the Maori culture for their own ends IMO. I am not OK with that. Especially given that many Maori state that bi-cultural interactions and displays - as per the ABs haka - is destructive and disrespectful of their culture. Make their minds up !

If the ABs can use the haka, then surely our national Air NZ airline can use Kia Ora.

This is very different from a haka of respect which is done at funerals etc. The intention is not respect. The intention is fear.




Retirednow Oct 21st 2019 12:22 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12751687)
My post was so relevant and close to the mark, you felt the need to reply twice without a response to me!!

Methinks you protest too much

Union wins - again!!

Not in Australia it doesn’t. Of four football codes it’s a very distant last. There’s a reason for that...

Amazulu Oct 21st 2019 12:51 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Retirednow (Post 12751828)
Not in Australia it doesn’t. Of four football codes it’s a very distant last. There’s a reason for that...

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...ac352e0da5.jpg

BadgeIsBack Oct 26th 2019 9:48 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
Bloody hell. All 3 southern hemisphere teams could be bundled out back to back...

DeadVim Oct 26th 2019 11:04 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 12754426)
Bloody hell. All 3 southern hemisphere teams could be bundled out back to back...

All Backs?

Can’t see Wales beating SA on form but anything can happen in a tournament.

Time to mention choking? :popcorn:

Kim67 Oct 27th 2019 1:15 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 12754462)
All Backs?

Can’t see Wales beating SA on form but anything can happen in a tournament.

Time to mention choking? :popcorn:

I can't either but I thought NZ would beat the poms last night too. The All Blacks just couldn't believe what was happening to them. Eddie Jones needs to come home now and with his magic on The Wallabies.

Beoz Oct 28th 2019 6:36 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 12754491)
I can't either but I thought NZ would beat the poms last night too. The All Blacks just couldn't believe what was happening to them. Eddie Jones needs to come home now and with his magic on The Wallabies.

No thanks. Eddie Jones has a history of doing wonders then completely messing up. If England are lucky enough to get him on a hot run, then cut him loose straight after the final, win or lose.

Amazulu Oct 29th 2019 6:16 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 12754462)
All Backs?

Can’t see Wales beating SA on form but anything can happen in a tournament.

Time to mention choking? :popcorn:

Glad the Bokke won but it was a dire game - but than again, in a semi-final it's about winning, not how you win. The Bokke did enough and at the end were, in reality, in control of the match

I think the Bokke haven't shown all of their cards yet and have something up their sleeve for the final. England do look formidable though - they tore the ABs a new one. Love the way they 'disrespected' the haka too. We really need more of that

BEVS Oct 29th 2019 7:34 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12755585)
Glad the Bokke won but it was a dire game - but than again, in a semi-final it's about winning, not how you win. The Bokke did enough and at the end were, in reality, in control of the match

I think the Bokke haven't shown all of their cards yet and have something up their sleeve for the final. England do look formidable though - they tore the ABs a new one. Love the way they 'disrespected' the haka too. We really need more of that

Himself & old rugby playing cohorts from our mother land called it a game of tennis which just wasn't cricket. Still one of them wanted to win without giving anything away so I suppose it was going to be that type of game in a way.

Yep. SA will definitely be looking to their game plan against England & England will be looking to the SA might.

The silent V for Victory challenge was quite fine I thought. A symbolic and meaningful challenge in return, that those doing the haka should also have felt was a meaningful acknowledgement of the war dance. Where is it written that another people must stand in a straight line against a war chant.

I think an understanding of a haka and its various meanings and uses should be revived before it all fades away into a meaningless dance that must be respected on death of penalty by the mighty fine.

An old article.


calman014 Oct 29th 2019 11:42 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
The Haka is one of the great traditions of the All Blacks team during their competitions. Whatever its origins, it should be respected for what it is and allowed to continue.

I have used it successfully on several occasions to assess the mood of the team before a match and I have to say that I was pretty surprised to be correct this time around when they played England.

Despite the "V" formation, which was quite clever, there was a low level of enthusiasm in the NZ team right from the start and visible from the vigour in the Haka that was missing this time around.

All the same, some great play in all the competitions, especially from Japan.

mikelincs Oct 30th 2019 3:27 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12755598)
Himself & old rugby playing cohorts from our mother land called it a game of tennis which just wasn't cricket. Still one of them wanted to win without giving anything away so I suppose it was going to be that type of game in a way.

Yep. SA will definitely be looking to their game plan against England & England will be looking to the SA might.

The silent V for Victory challenge was quite fine I thought. A symbolic and meaningful challenge in return, that those doing the haka should also have felt was a meaningful acknowledgement of the war dance. Where is it written that another people must stand in a straight line against a war chant.

I think an understanding of a haka and its various meanings and uses should be revived before it all fades away into a meaningless dance that must be respected on death of penalty by the mighty fine.

An old article.

The fine they were given wasn't for disrespection the haka, it was for one or two of the English players having crossed the halfway line

spouse of scouse Oct 30th 2019 3:29 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12756429)
The fine they were given wasn't for disrespection the haka, it was for one or two of the English players having crossed the halfway line

Yep.


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:16 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.