Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rugby World Cup 2019 thread

Rugby World Cup 2019 thread

Old Oct 20th 2019, 12:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread

Loved the way the Irish fans 'disrespected' the Haka!

We need much more of that in world rugby - from the fans and players
Old Oct 20th 2019, 1:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Should this thread be closed now, England have put them to the sword, never mind, better luck in 2023.
No. England totally deserved the win but all they've done is given themselves an extra week at the WC!

Anyway, both England and Australia are wank teams - with players and fans who think they're better than they actually are. Both basically Pacific Island teams now anyway
Old Oct 20th 2019, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No. England totally deserved the win but all they've done is given themselves an extra week at the WC!

Anyway, both England and Australia are wank teams - with players and fans who think they're better than they actually are. Both basically Pacific Island teams now anyway
It's not surprising that the Australian team is full of Pacific Islanders is it? I'm in my 50's and grew up with kids from NZ, Fiji and Papua New Guinea and they were just like kids from another Australian state .

Here's an interesting article on the origin of World Cup teams.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/ru...s-born-players
Old Oct 21st 2019, 12:21 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We need much more of that in world rugby - from the fans and players
You can't have enough passion and pride for your country in internationals. Watch the video in this and be uplifted!
https://www.sapeople.com/2019/10/15/...w-8ky-MuWhXjkI
Old Oct 21st 2019, 12:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You can't have enough passion and pride for your country in internationals.
Not sure but he may have been referring to the ABs haka thing & that many are basically over it. I know I am.

The Irish fans sang their anthem and why not.

NZ Maori don't want others to use the haka nor for it to be disrespected yet allow Pakeha to do it when it suits. Meh!
They have been the same over Kia Ora with the NZ national airline carrier Air NZ. Got precious about that .
I have no issue with them protecting their culture but you can't have it both ways.

I say no haka for the mixed AB team .

Old Oct 21st 2019, 12:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not sure but he may have been referring to the ABs haka thing & that many are basically over it. I know I am.

NZ Maori don't want others to use the haka nor for it to be disrespected yet allow Pakeha to do it when it suits. Meh!
They have been the same over Kia Ora with the NZ national airline carrier Air NZ. Got precious about that .
I have no issue with them protecting their culture but you can't have it both ways.

If the Maori team members are happy for the whole team to perform the Haka, then I can't see a problem with it. I love to see all nations celebrating.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 1:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If the Maori team members are happy for the whole team to perform the Haka, then I can't see a problem with it. I love to see all nations celebrating.
It is looked on as culturally sensitive for Maori. It is disapproved for Pakeha to use this. It isn't a celebration .
They can legitimately jointly celebrate through the national anthem ,some of which prefer not to .

My issue is being precious about this one moment and allowance for all the next. NZ loves its pipe bands and kilts. They can celebrate that way instead if we want an inclusive national celebration.

I would agree though that if someone of pacific islands descent felt it appropriate to perform a haka then that is fine. I recall someone doing this at a game. I will have to ask MrBEVS who that was and within which team. It was not the ABs.

Anyway. I am over it and have been for a long while now.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 2:49 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

England should do some light Morris Dancing in retaliation.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough but league is brain-dead non-rugby for meatheads and best avoided

Thank f**k we don't have it over here
It’s a far superior game to yawnion these days. No surprises that yawnion is basically dead here.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 4:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Retirednow
It’s a far superior game to yawnion these days. No surprises that yawnion is basically dead here.
My post was so relevant and close to the mark, you felt the need to reply twice without a response to me!!

Methinks you protest too much

Union wins - again!!
Old Oct 21st 2019, 4:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Kim67
It's not surprising that the Australian team is full of Pacific Islanders is it? I'm in my 50's and grew up with kids from NZ, Fiji and Papua New Guinea and they were just like kids from another Australian state .

Here's an interesting article on the origin of World Cup teams.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/ru...s-born-players
Sure, but I was just being a bit sarcastic! As long as someone is doing it legally, I don't care who they play for. One of my big things in life is that you're whatever/whoever you want to be - not what someone else thinks you are or wants you to be. It's just a bit of a pity that Pacific nations are too poor to retain their talent, who are poached by wealthy, Western countries. Imagine how much better they'd be if they could afford to employ these guys
Old Oct 21st 2019, 4:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by DeadVim
England should do some light Morris Dancing in retaliation.
I agree, but under current IRB rules, they'd be fined for doing that because the haka has to be 'respected' by the opposition!

Pathetic
Old Oct 21st 2019, 4:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

It is looked on as culturally sensitive for Maori. It is disapproved for Pakeha to use this. It isn't a celebration .
They can legitimately jointly celebrate through the national anthem ,some of which prefer not to .

My issue is being precious about this one moment and allowance for all the next. NZ loves its pipe bands and kilts. They can celebrate that way instead if we want an inclusive national celebration.

I would agree though that if someone of pacific islands descent felt it appropriate to perform a haka then that is fine. I recall someone doing this at a game. I will have to ask MrBEVS who that was and within which team. It was not the ABs.

Totally agree. Look at an AB haka for 30-40 years ago on YouTube - tame and pathetic compared to today. The ABs use the haka as a means of psychological warfare and as free advertising for their 'brand'. Opposing teams should be allowed to respond to it however they feel, but to do so would incur the wrath of the IRB and a fine as well as a hissy fit from the ABs!

The haka should be scrapped completely IMO
Old Oct 21st 2019, 4:43 am
Concierge

The haka can indeed be a celebration, although yes, it doesn't appear to be used this way by the All Blacks.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 4:49 am
Concierge

I don't know what Amazulu meant and I wasn't really thinking about that, I just thought that he (and anyone) might be interested in watching a great video of a surprise choir supporting the Springboks. They're wonderful and very uplifting to watch. Back in my box now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.