British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Rugby World Cup 2019 thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/rugby-world-cup-2019-thread-927781/)

Alfresco Sep 9th 2019 1:04 pm

Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
Discussion and predictions.

The Springboks need to beat New Zilland in their first game, and then to go on to win it. :fingerscrossed:

I predict three southern hemisphere teams and one northern hemisphere will make the semi finals and a southern hemisphere to win, but hopefully not the all blokes.


Beoz Sep 10th 2019 2:38 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 12733418)
Discussion and predictions.

The Springboks need to beat New Zilland in their first game, and then to go on to win it. :fingerscrossed:

I predict three southern hemisphere teams and one northern hemisphere will make the semi finals and a southern hemisphere to win, but hopefully not the all blokes.

Can't see the wallabies making the semi's.

Alfresco Sep 10th 2019 3:28 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12733664)
Can't see the wallabies making the semi's.

Hmmm. They did beat the All Blacks once this year, so anything is possible with them.

Amazulu Sep 10th 2019 5:39 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 12733418)
Discussion and predictions.

The Springboks need to beat New Zilland in their first game, and then to go on to win it. :fingerscrossed:

I predict three southern hemisphere teams and one northern hemisphere will make the semi finals and a southern hemisphere to win, but hopefully not the all blokes.

Things looking better for the Bokke this year - they seem more settled and cohesive. How good would it be to be in Japan - the best country to visit in Asia - for this. Yokohama is a cracking city and the Japanese will have organised this well

Who's showing the WC in Australia? If it's Foxtel, ITV Hub (available via a simple DNS redirect) is streaming all the games. Okay, you have to watch a few stupid UK ads but worth it for a free service

Beoz Sep 10th 2019 6:20 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12733687)
the Japanese will have organised this well

Ha ha ha ha ...... have you tried to get accommodation?

Buzzy--Bee Sep 10th 2019 6:35 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
We're going to be watching all the Australian, English and New Zealand matches. I've been trying to buy a Rugby top for my wife. Admittedly it's an All Blacks top, she is a born and bred Kiwi after all, but I can't even find Wallabies tops. In our local Westfield there is of course a huge shop that sells all things AFL. There is also a shop that sells all things Basketball. But even visiting the Adidas shop, who make the All Blacks gear, results in a response " we don't get much call for Rugby merchandise" . Rebel sport have 2 XXL size All Blacks tops and 1 Wallabies top. My wife ain't XXL. Another shop that resells all sports gear had nothing. DFO Adidas had nothing.

So considering Rugby is only the 6th most popular mens sport in Australia after AFL, Soccer, Rugby League, Basketball and Cricket I think we punch well above our weight.

This could end up being a very interesting World Cup, several teams are playing well - Ireland, Wales, England, South Africa can be added to the potential winners as well as the New Zealanders and the Australians.

Amazulu Sep 10th 2019 7:48 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12733691)
Ha ha ha ha ...... have you tried to get accommodation?

Obviously not as I ain't going (!) but I reckon that if you'd booked your accommodation well in advance, you'd be sorted. Also, the beauty of Japan is that they have an insanely integrated and efficient public transport system, so you'd easily be able to get get digs well away from the venues and have little problem getting there

Beoz Sep 10th 2019 11:15 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12733696)
Obviously not as I ain't going (!) but I reckon that if you'd booked your accommodation well in advance, you'd be sorted. Also, the beauty of Japan is that they have an insanely integrated and efficient public transport system, so you'd easily be able to get get digs well away from the venues and have little problem getting there

The accommodation was a ball ache to get from the moment the ticket ballots were decided.

Amazulu Sep 10th 2019 2:54 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12733734)
The accommodation was a ball ache to get from the moment the ticket ballots were decided.

Sure but any city hosting a huge international sporting event is going to have issues with accommodation. I know London did in 2012

Retirednow Sep 14th 2019 11:54 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
What’s Rugby??

Kim67 Sep 18th 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Retirednow (Post 12735550)
What’s Rugby??

The thing that will keep our neighbors awake all night because of the screaming and swearing coming from our house for the next month.

Beoz Sep 19th 2019 2:35 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 12737096)
The thing that will keep our neighbors awake all night because of the screaming and swearing coming from our house for the next month.

All afternoon and evening. It's in Japan. Similar time zone.

Kim67 Sep 19th 2019 12:08 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12737118)
All afternoon and evening. It's in Japan. Similar time zone.

But if the Wallabies beat the Sprinboks or visaversa, the expletives carry on all night lol.

DeadVim Sep 19th 2019 1:20 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Retirednow (Post 12735550)
What’s Rugby??

Mostly bad childhood memories of being forced to play in my underwear and yer stereotypically sadistic PE teacher.

Probably a paedo too.

Retirednow Sep 23rd 2019 2:40 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
Thank god for the AFL & NRL

Amazulu Sep 23rd 2019 2:45 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Retirednow (Post 12738475)
Thank god for the AFL & NRL

He said NRL
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Amazulu Sep 23rd 2019 5:46 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
How to watch the RWC for free in Australia:
Sign up for a free account on ITV Hub (you'll need a UK postcode)
Get a DNS redirect service - Smart DNS Proxy works - I pay USD36 for 2 years although there are shorter options
Change the DNS settings on your router on computer to the DNS redirect ones (plenty of info online about how to do this - it's super easy)
Fire up a browser on your PC or Mac computer and access the ITV Hub website
Connect your PC to your TV via an HDMI cable or, even better, cast to your TV (Google Chromecast device might be needed although many modern TVs have Chromecast built in)
Watch the Springboks on their way to winning the World Cup

Note:
This will not work on Android devices and (I think) IOS mobile devices
Once you're set up, this system will enable you to watch BBC iplayer, US Netlfix and Amazon Prime etc
The ITV stream is very good - much better than the BBC iplayer stream. I'm getting HD quality

You're welcome

Beoz Sep 23rd 2019 8:08 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12738477)
He said NRL
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sadly for Australian rugby, the easy way to the money is in league.


Beoz Sep 23rd 2019 8:10 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12738492)
How to watch the RWC for free in Australia:
Sign up for a free account on ITV Hub (you'll need a UK postcode)
Get a DNS redirect service - Smart DNS Proxy works - I pay USD36 for 2 years although there are shorter options
Change the DNS settings on your router on computer to the DNS redirect ones (plenty of info online about how to do this - it's super easy)
Fire up a browser on your PC or Mac computer and access the ITV Hub website
Connect your PC to your TV via an HDMI cable or, even better, cast to your TV (Google Chromecast device might be needed although many modern TVs have Chromecast built in)
Watch the Springboks on their way to winning the World Cup

Note:
This will not work on Android devices and (I think) IOS mobile devices
Once you're set up, this system will enable you to watch BBC iplayer, US Netlfix and Amazon Prime etc
The ITV stream is very good - much better than the BBC iplayer stream. I'm getting HD quality

You're welcome

Or get on Android and watch ITV on this. https://www.mobdro.bz/

Amazulu Sep 23rd 2019 12:40 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12738519)
Or get on Android and watch ITV on this. https://www.mobdro.bz/

I've been aware of Mobdro for years and find it to be very hit and miss. I just tried to watch the Wales game on it on my phone via my 95MB NBN connection and it was juddering and the quality was poor, looked to be about 480p. Casting that to a 65" TV would have been a terrible viewing experience. This will only get worse as the WC progresses and more people try to stream - which is kind of understandable as Mobdro is an app that anyone can access with zero need to set it up. The final will be unwatchable. Now watching on ITV via my Win10 HTPC and I've got a 1080p stream with zero juddering or buffering

Amazulu Sep 23rd 2019 1:29 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12738518)
Sadly for Australian rugby, the easy way to the money is in league.

https://twitter.com/7newssydney/stat...529408?lang=en

Fair enough but league is brain-dead non-rugby for meatheads and best avoided

Thank f**k we don't have it over here

Alfresco Oct 11th 2019 11:26 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
Predictions now?

Retirednow Oct 11th 2019 12:37 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12738653)
Fair enough but league is brain-dead non-rugby for meatheads and best avoided

Thank f**k we don't have it over here

Been a long time since you watched League then. It’s light years ahead of Yawnion these days, a big change. Thankfully Yawnion is near dead here in God’s country, for that we can be truly grateful...

Kim67 Oct 11th 2019 10:39 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Retirednow (Post 12747002)
Been a long time since you watched League then. It’s light years ahead of Yawnion these days, a big change. Thankfully Yawnion is near dead here in God’s country, for that we can be truly grateful...

Each to their own. I personally love 7s the most now.

Alfresco Oct 12th 2019 9:36 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 12747232)
Each to their own. I personally love 7s the most now.

Indeed. A great tournament. I wish it was on all year round.

Kim67 Oct 13th 2019 6:22 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 12747298)
Indeed. A great tournament. I wish it was on all year round.

Yeah I'd love Kok all year round....Werner Kok🤣

Alfresco Oct 13th 2019 6:31 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 12747538)
Yeah I'd love Kok all year round....Werner Kok🤣

:blink:

Alfresco Oct 13th 2019 9:56 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
Well done Japan!!!

mikelincs Oct 19th 2019 10:48 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
Should this thread be closed now, England have put them to the sword, never mind, better luck in 2023.

Kim67 Oct 19th 2019 11:28 pm

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12750882)
Should this thread be closed now, England have put them to the sword, never mind, better luck in 2023.

England played well and deserved to win. Pity the All Blacks will eat them alive next week. SA NZ final coming up.

Amazulu Oct 20th 2019 1:55 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
Loved the way the Irish fans 'disrespected' the Haka!

We need much more of that in world rugby - from the fans and players

Amazulu Oct 20th 2019 2:22 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12750882)
Should this thread be closed now, England have put them to the sword, never mind, better luck in 2023.

No. England totally deserved the win but all they've done is given themselves an extra week at the WC!

Anyway, both England and Australia are wank teams - with players and fans who think they're better than they actually are. Both basically Pacific Island teams now anyway

Kim67 Oct 20th 2019 10:51 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12751200)
No. England totally deserved the win but all they've done is given themselves an extra week at the WC!

Anyway, both England and Australia are wank teams - with players and fans who think they're better than they actually are. Both basically Pacific Island teams now anyway

It's not surprising that the Australian team is full of Pacific Islanders is it? I'm in my 50's and grew up with kids from NZ, Fiji and Papua New Guinea and they were just like kids from another Australian state .

Here's an interesting article on the origin of World Cup teams.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/ru...s-born-players

spouse of scouse Oct 21st 2019 1:21 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12751197)
Loved the way the Irish fans 'disrespected' the Haka!

We need much more of that in world rugby - from the fans and players

You can't have enough passion and pride for your country in internationals. Watch the video in this and be uplifted!
https://www.sapeople.com/2019/10/15/...w-8ky-MuWhXjkI

BEVS Oct 21st 2019 1:56 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Loved the way the Irish fans 'disrespected' the Haka!


Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12751644)
You can't have enough passion and pride for your country in internationals.

Not sure but he may have been referring to the ABs haka thing & that many are basically over it. I know I am.

The Irish fans sang their anthem and why not.

NZ Maori don't want others to use the haka nor for it to be disrespected yet allow Pakeha to do it when it suits. Meh!
They have been the same over Kia Ora with the NZ national airline carrier Air NZ. Got precious about that .
I have no issue with them protecting their culture but you can't have it both ways.

I say no haka for the mixed AB team .




spouse of scouse Oct 21st 2019 1:59 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12751655)
Not sure but he may have been referring to the ABs haka thing & that many are basically over it. I know I am.

The Irish fans sang their anthem and why not.

NZ Maori don't want others to use the haka nor for it to be disrespected yet allow Pakeha to do it when it suits. Meh!
They have been the same over Kia Ora with the NZ national airline carrier Air NZ. Got precious about that .
I have no issue with them protecting their culture but you can't have it both ways.

I say no haka for the mixed AB team .

If the Maori team members are happy for the whole team to perform the Haka, then I can't see a problem with it. I love to see all nations celebrating.

BEVS Oct 21st 2019 2:42 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12751656)
If the Maori team members are happy for the whole team to perform the Haka, then I can't see a problem with it. I love to see all nations celebrating.

It is looked on as culturally sensitive for Maori. It is disapproved for Pakeha to use this. It isn't a celebration .
They can legitimately jointly celebrate through the national anthem ,some of which prefer not to .

My issue is being precious about this one moment and allowance for all the next. NZ loves its pipe bands and kilts. They can celebrate that way instead if we want an inclusive national celebration.

I would agree though that if someone of pacific islands descent felt it appropriate to perform a haka then that is fine. I recall someone doing this at a game. I will have to ask MrBEVS who that was and within which team. It was not the ABs.

Anyway. I am over it and have been for a long while now.

DeadVim Oct 21st 2019 3:49 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 
England should do some light Morris Dancing in retaliation.

Retirednow Oct 21st 2019 5:04 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12738653)
Fair enough but league is brain-dead non-rugby for meatheads and best avoided

Thank f**k we don't have it over here

It’s a far superior game to yawnion these days. No surprises that yawnion is basically dead here.

Amazulu Oct 21st 2019 5:21 am

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread
 

Originally Posted by Retirednow (Post 12751685)
It’s a far superior game to yawnion these days. No surprises that yawnion is basically dead here.

My post was so relevant and close to the mark, you felt the need to reply twice without a response to me!!

Methinks you protest too much

Union wins - again!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:03 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.