Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rugby World Cup 2019 thread

Rugby World Cup 2019 thread

Old Oct 21st 2019, 4:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby World Cup 2019 thread

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't know what Amazulu meant and I wasn't really thinking about that, I just thought that he (and anyone) might be interested in watching a great video of a surprise choir supporting the Springboks. They're wonderful and very uplifting to watch. Back in my box now.
I was referring to the fact that the Irish fans sang one of their rebel songs, drowning out the haka. This drew the ire of the ABs and the IRB as it was showing disrespect to the haka - which is not allowed. Some of the AB players took it personally apparently. Pathetic I know but there it is

Your link was indeed superb
Old Oct 21st 2019, 5:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The haka can indeed be a celebration, although yes, it doesn't appear to be used this way by the All Blacks.
Correct. It isn't. It is a war chant.
At least they've stopped with the slice the throat death job.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 5:56 am
`

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I was referring to the fact that the Irish fans sang one of their rebel songs, drowning out the haka. This drew the ire of the ABs and the IRB as it was showing disrespect to the haka - which is not allowed. Some of the AB players took it personally apparently. Pathetic I know but there it is
Oh well.

It was the usual Irish sports anthem. Fields of Athenry. It is a ballad .

One of the irritations is the insistance that the haka is done after the anthems. It has been suggested in the past that if they want their haka they do it before the anthems .

Old Oct 21st 2019, 6:07 am
`

The ABs use the haka as a means of psychological warfare and as free advertising for their 'brand'.
Yes.

Opposing teams should be allowed to respond to it however they feel
Yes.

To be clear . My view is that if the pacific nations wish to haka per their culture then that is fine if both teams are happy with that.
The ABs mis-use the Maori culture for their own ends IMO. I am not OK with that. Especially given that many Maori state that bi-cultural interactions and displays - as per the ABs haka - is destructive and disrespectful of their culture. Make their minds up !

If the ABs can use the haka, then surely our national Air NZ airline can use Kia Ora.

This is very different from a haka of respect which is done at funerals etc. The intention is not respect. The intention is fear.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

My post was so relevant and close to the mark, you felt the need to reply twice without a response to me!!

Methinks you protest too much

Union wins - again!!
Not in Australia it doesn’t. Of four football codes it’s a very distant last. There’s a reason for that...
Old Oct 21st 2019, 11:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retirednow
Not in Australia it doesn’t. Of four football codes it’s a very distant last. There’s a reason for that...
Old Oct 26th 2019, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell. All 3 southern hemisphere teams could be bundled out back to back...
Old Oct 26th 2019, 10:04 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Bloody hell. All 3 southern hemisphere teams could be bundled out back to back...
All Backs?

Can’t see Wales beating SA on form but anything can happen in a tournament.

Time to mention choking?
Old Oct 27th 2019, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
All Backs?

Time to mention choking?
I can't either but I thought NZ would beat the poms last night too. The All Blacks just couldn't believe what was happening to them. Eddie Jones needs to come home now and with his magic on The Wallabies.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I can't either but I thought NZ would beat the poms last night too. The All Blacks just couldn't believe what was happening to them. Eddie Jones needs to come home now and with his magic on The Wallabies.
No thanks. Eddie Jones has a history of doing wonders then completely messing up. If England are lucky enough to get him on a hot run, then cut him loose straight after the final, win or lose.
Old Oct 29th 2019, 5:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by DeadVim
All Backs?

Time to mention choking?
Glad the Bokke won but it was a dire game - but than again, in a semi-final it's about winning, not how you win. The Bokke did enough and at the end were, in reality, in control of the match

I think the Bokke haven't shown all of their cards yet and have something up their sleeve for the final. England do look formidable though - they tore the ABs a new one. Love the way they 'disrespected' the haka too. We really need more of that
Old Oct 29th 2019, 6:34 am
`

Glad the Bokke won but it was a dire game - but than again, in a semi-final it's about winning, not how you win. The Bokke did enough and at the end were, in reality, in control of the match

I think the Bokke haven't shown all of their cards yet and have something up their sleeve for the final. England do look formidable though - they tore the ABs a new one. Love the way they 'disrespected' the haka too. We really need more of that
Himself & old rugby playing cohorts from our mother land called it a game of tennis which just wasn't cricket. Still one of them wanted to win without giving anything away so I suppose it was going to be that type of game in a way.

Yep. SA will definitely be looking to their game plan against England & England will be looking to the SA might.

The silent V for Victory challenge was quite fine I thought. A symbolic and meaningful challenge in return, that those doing the haka should also have felt was a meaningful acknowledgement of the war dance. Where is it written that another people must stand in a straight line against a war chant.

I think an understanding of a haka and its various meanings and uses should be revived before it all fades away into a meaningless dance that must be respected on death of penalty by the mighty fine.

An old article.

Old Oct 29th 2019, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

The Haka is one of the great traditions of the All Blacks team during their competitions. Whatever its origins, it should be respected for what it is and allowed to continue.

I have used it successfully on several occasions to assess the mood of the team before a match and I have to say that I was pretty surprised to be correct this time around when they played England.

Despite the "V" formation, which was quite clever, there was a low level of enthusiasm in the NZ team right from the start and visible from the vigour in the Haka that was missing this time around.

All the same, some great play in all the competitions, especially from Japan.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 2:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Himself & old rugby playing cohorts from our mother land called it a game of tennis which just wasn't cricket. Still one of them wanted to win without giving anything away so I suppose it was going to be that type of game in a way.

Yep. SA will definitely be looking to their game plan against England & England will be looking to the SA might.

The silent V for Victory challenge was quite fine I thought. A symbolic and meaningful challenge in return, that those doing the haka should also have felt was a meaningful acknowledgement of the war dance. Where is it written that another people must stand in a straight line against a war chant.

I think an understanding of a haka and its various meanings and uses should be revived before it all fades away into a meaningless dance that must be respected on death of penalty by the mighty fine.

An old article.
The fine they were given wasn't for disrespection the haka, it was for one or two of the English players having crossed the halfway line
Old Oct 30th 2019, 2:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The fine they were given wasn't for disrespection the haka, it was for one or two of the English players having crossed the halfway line
Yep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.