Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

View Poll Results: Rugby World Cup 2011 - Who will win?
New Zealand
30.91%
Australia
8.18%
South Africa
12.73%
England
17.27%
Ireland
5.45%
France
2.73%
Scotland
2.73%
Argentina
0.91%
Wales
8.18%
Fiji
1.82%
Samoa
0.91%
Italy
1.82%
Bizarre Outcome
6.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:55 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

I enjoyed the rugby. channel 9 are more suited to league.

Between now and the inevitable pain of watching England in the Euros there is little for me on Foxtel.

Originally Posted by Beoz
Thankfully for you the WC is over. I actually enjoy watching Ken Sutcliffe comment on Rugby because his knowledge of the game is so far off the mark, yet he provides us with his opinion with such passion. He tipped the Kiwi's by 30. The bogans love it.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic effort by the French, i bet there were more than just a few Kiwi's thinking here we go again. I have always said that if a team really has a go at the AB's they are not unbeatable. France started well then rode there luck until half time and then came right back at the AB's in the second half and at times they ran them ragged.

So really at the end of it all the gulf between SH and NH rugby is not so great at all. Wales gave the Boks are great game and very unlucky not to win, Ireland totally outplayed the Wallabies and last night in the final France could so easily have beaten the AB's.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:26 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Thought the ref was very biased toward NZ, France were the better side and deserved to win.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:40 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to a fellow sportsfan on Sunday about our mutual ambivalence regarding rugby and he hit the nail on the head when he said that the officials have too much influence on the result.

All this interpretation of the rules stuff doesn't help surely?

Just an aside, I still enjoyed the final but the observation resonated with me anyway.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DeadVim
he hit the nail on the head when he said that the officials have too much influence on the result.
And that doesn't happen in football? (Where it's a low scoring sport which makes things worse.....)

I don't ever watch Rugby League - how 'bad' is the reffing in that sport?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by General Tojo
And that doesn't happen in football? (Where it's a low scoring sport which makes things worse.....)

There are few rules in Rugby League which makes it "the simple mans sport". The rules that exist are governed by video referees. Which is probably thankful as bogans would be complaining about refereeing decisions for weeks.

I guess the interpretation of rules is something Rugby has been battling for years. I certainly would not like to see each breakdown go for video analysis just to see if a number 7 was on or off his feet. It would kill the sport. Whilst it's not nice to be on the receiving end of poor refereeing decision it's quite nice to keep the human element of judgement as part of the game.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:41 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by General Tojo

Football as in 'soccer'? Sorry, this is one of the reasons I don't mind not using 'soccer' around here.

Well yes, most sports are influenced by the officals but rugby seems to suffer from it more than most. Take my favourite, cricket, very influenced by the ump ... LBWs and all that.

I played rugby as a kid too so I should be more 'in tune' but I guess it just hasn't taken with me ... I like to watch it but can't get 'into' it.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

France played well. Vast improvement on WWII.

Good game, glad Kiwis won.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:14 am
Mostly Harmless

The French have been fined £10,000 for confronting the Haka.

What a BS decision by the IRB.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually GBP2.5k but still a load of bollocks. The IRB have this unwritten rule that the opposition cannot react to the haka, which is ridiculous. I think the the ABs should not be allowed to do the haka, but if they are then teams should be allowed to react to it however they like.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:08 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's actually GBP2.5k but still a load of bollocks. The IRB have this unwritten rule that the opposition cannot react to the haka, which is ridiculous. I think the the ABs should not be allowed to do the haka, but if they are then teams should be allowed to react to it however they like.
I sit corrected, it was reported as 10,000 earlier. I agree with your assessment.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

Did i miss something? I just saw the french all hold hands like a bunch of girls, not very confronting. (wouldn't say that to their face though )
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:31 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't think it has anything to do with reacting to the Haka. It was originally introduced to stop the ABs from advancing their Haka into the opposing team. You might recall seeing the ABs among the opposition team by the time they finished the ritual, which was deemed unfair and unsporting. So they introduced a rule whereby you could not come within 10 metres of the halfway line. So it had nothing to do with protecting the Haka and everything to do with protecting the recipients of the Haka.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:40 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by don544
Did i miss something? I just saw the french all hold hands like a bunch of girls, not very confronting. (wouldn't say that to their face though )
Fair point, it wasn't a well co-ordinated advance.

Makes a change from a swift retreat though.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:18 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point, it wasn't a well co-ordinated advance.

Makes a change from a swift retreat though.
That's why they held hands, it stopped the majority running away...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.