Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

View Poll Results: Rugby World Cup 2011 - Who will win?
New Zealand
30.91%
Australia
8.18%
South Africa
12.73%
England
17.27%
Ireland
5.45%
France
2.73%
Scotland
2.73%
Argentina
0.91%
Wales
8.18%
Fiji
1.82%
Samoa
0.91%
Italy
1.82%
Bizarre Outcome
6.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:37 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Thread

Originally Posted by IvanM
What's happened to the Strachans and Dalglishs that Scotland used to produce? Wales and NZ are also wee sized nations.
We get our fair shair of wins
Its just not when its important

In football wales and Nz are no geat world beater
In rugby wales do ok
But are never expected to win the world cup it would be great if they did
New zealand live rugby
If you play any other sport you deemed gay lol
Most lads at school are expected to play

Scotland seems to have lost that
But we still put up a good fight

When i was a lad scotland had world class boxer, footballers, snooker player and even darts players
Those days are on the decline
Not sure why though?
So i cant really answer your question
But as i said, for such a small nation, the teams display in the world cup is good enough for ME
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Not at all. Why is it ok for say, an English person to want to see France or Germany fail at sport?
Because they're aren't home nations. If you're going that track, why would you bother support Ireland and Wales and everyone else against England?

Just seems really odd.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:21 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Because they're aren't home nations. If you're going that track, why would you bother support Ireland and Wales and everyone else against England?

Just seems really odd.
Not odd, fun.

- A person is entitled to support whoever they like, just because England is also part of the UK, doesn't mean I will automatically support them. I know lots of English people (who I am friends with) who refuse to support Scotland, Wales or Ireland. Doesn't bother or upset me in the slightest, just adds to the bantering fun. All in good taste.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:31 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
We get our fair shair of wins
Its just not when its important

In football wales and Nz are no geat world beater
In rugby wales do ok
But are never expected to win the world cup it would be great if they did
New zealand live rugby
If you play any other sport you deemed gay lol
Most lads at school are expected to play

Scotland seems to have lost that
But we still put up a good fight

When i was a lad scotland had world class boxer, footballers, snooker player and even darts players
Those days are on the decline
Not sure why though?
So i cant really answer your question
But as i said, for such a small nation, the teams display in the world cup is good enough for ME
Scotland did themselves proud, they did the 90 percenters very well, however lacked that last 10% finishing power that sets sides apart from others. On some days those 10 percenters just happen. Just look at the Tonga V France game, which was not too disimilar to the England V Scotland game. The only difference being Scotland couldn't finish and Tonga managed to scrape in one of their chances and France couldn't push over but England just about managed to in the dying seconds. Very much games of nearlys
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
i have to say i was quite happy with scotland yesterday. they gave it their best and attempted to play and if they had a little luck things might have gone their way

we are and will always be the nearly men

for such a small nation, thats good enough for me
Scotland did well, but ultimately did not have the gas to finish England off. England are one of the best teams at playing world cup rugby, and know what it takes to win and controlled the 2nd half. Scotland had not finished them off after 60mins and this was always going to come back and bite them.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:07 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

They had so many opportunities to finish off England.
Originally Posted by Amazulu
Scotland did well, but ultimately did not have the gas to finish England off. England are one of the best teams at playing world cup rugby, and know what it takes to win and controlled the 2nd half. Scotland had not finished them off after 60mins and this was always going to come back and bite them.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
They had so many opportunities to finish off England.
And there's the answer to the problem
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:37 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
You put Johnson on a par with Bakkies?????!!!!! Seriously, I don't think anyone is or ever was in Bakkies' league in terms of pure thuggery
Did you see my comment about Stours? Now he's King of the dirty castle..

Is that because her middle name is "Lilly"?
Hey what's wrong with Lilli that's my bubbas name!! And old savage is alright...although not sure Paul knows much, or cares about rugby. Probably more interested in his latest fake chicken filets.

Controlled...is that what we are calling Wilkinsons excuses for world class kicking now....COME ON THE FLOODY

And finally...that bloody Kiwi v Argies fixture has to be a fix!! ARSE!! LOL

oh and just for good measure...COME ON WALES...won't you all be in shock if they do it this year
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

You put Johnson on a par with Bakkies?????!!!!! Seriously, I don't think anyone is or ever was in Bakkies' league in terms of pure thuggery
Bakkies Botha - Springbok hero. When things start to get tasty, Bakkies is the man.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:52 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I reckon this is going to be one seriously short WC - at least from a local media hype POV.

It starts 'propper' on Saturday 3pm with the first 'real game' kick off and gets a frenzy of media coverage (my prediction) until Sunday 5pm when the Wobblies get knocked out and it'll never be spoken of again.....
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:58 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Bakkies Botha - Springbok hero. When things start to get tasty, Bakkies is the man.
yeah baby if rugby players were equated to fast food...he's KFC and I would munch a leg anytime...oh yeah and he's a awesome rugby player...forget I'm conversing with guys here. SORWEE.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:27 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I reckon this is going to be one seriously short WC - at least from a local media hype POV.

It starts 'propper' on Saturday 3pm with the first 'real game' kick off and gets a frenzy of media coverage (my prediction) until Sunday 5pm when the Wobblies get knocked out and it'll never be spoken of again.....
That's the main worry. Channel Nine will shelve it once the Wobblies are knocked out. Nine shouldn't be allowed rights to sporting events, or at least the rights should come with a proviso that they have to show it. They have the rights to the Open too, and never show it, and it means no one else can either.

Of course, if Wales beat Ireland, I'll not be interested anyway.

Last edited by Burbage; Oct 3rd 2011 at 1:30 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:34 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
That's the main worry. Channel Nine will shelve it once the Wobblies are knocked out. Nine shouldn't be allowed rights to sporting events, or at least the rights should come with a proviso that they have to show it. They have the rights to the Open too, and never show it, and it means no one else can either.

Of course, if Wales beat Ireland, I'll not be interested anyway.
Yup, it's at this point a broadband connection and a VPN comes in handy

If they weren't preferable alternatives anyway ...
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:36 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Yup, it's at this point a broadband connection and a VPN comes in handy

If they weren't preferable alternatives anyway ...
Been watching the games on ITV, but it's not exactly high definition. And it drops out every now and then.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:49 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I watched 7/8ths of a game on ITV - but the endless buffer and stutter from the free VPNs I tried made it painful..

that said the 'expletive density' of my viewing of the ENG/SCO game definately spiked HARD every time CH9 tried clumsily to throw in an advert simply because they were organising a line-out or getting the scrum together...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.