Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Rossellas in my garden

Wikiposts

Rossellas in my garden

Old Jun 12th 2006, 3:31 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rossellas in my garden

We have a pair of paleheaded rosellas that live in our area & we see them in our garden regularly. Stupid miner birds try to chase them away .

Have never managed to get a picture of them yet, but heres pic of some sulphur crested cockatoos both on our verandah & drinking from our pool when it was being built (no no no, we dont feed them! )
Attached Thumbnails Rossellas in my garden-4-cockatoos.jpg   Rossellas in my garden-cockatoos1.jpg  
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:00 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
We have a pair of paleheaded rosellas that live in our area & we see them in our garden regularly. Stupid miner birds try to chase them away .

Have never managed to get a picture of them yet, but heres pic of some sulphur crested cockatoos both on our verandah & drinking from our pool when it was being built (no no no, we dont feed them! )
Heres one I prepared earlier.
Attached Thumbnails Rossellas in my garden-paley.jpg  
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Ahh, all becomes clear now. We had one on our feeder the other day, I didn't see it and was googling the description hubby and first born gave me - didn't succeed but that's it. Bears no relation to what I was told Hope he/she comes back. Getting bored with the rainbow lorikeets and Aus King Parrots now - as if
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

funnily enough we dont seem to get the white ones, you got my share

Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

thats the one,we have one like that and one thats very red,aretn they gorgeous

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

once they know where the food is ,they ll come back.

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Ahh, all becomes clear now. We had one on our feeder the other day, I didn't see it and was googling the description hubby and first born gave me - didn't succeed but that's it. Bears no relation to what I was told Hope he/she comes back. Getting bored with the rainbow lorikeets and Aus King Parrots now - as if
Old Jun 13th 2006, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

You guys are so lucky! Am very jealous The kids are going to love all these birds
Old Jun 13th 2006, 1:55 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

And here are some more lorikeets ....
Attached Thumbnails Rossellas in my garden-lorikeets.jpg  
Old Jun 13th 2006, 2:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

And you wouldnt believe it - this was in our garden when I got home from picking the boys up from school this afternoon. It even stayed sitting on our pavers while I raced upstairs & got out the camera & took the pics .
Attached Thumbnails Rossellas in my garden-kookaburra.jpg  
Old Jun 13th 2006, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

i think the kookabouras are gorgeous birds,we ve got 3 that come for their braekfast and dinner,its great they sit at the door waiting for their food,1 in particular is very tame,gary has had it sitting on his knee taking food the wildlife here is great

And you wouldnt believe it - this was in our garden when I got home from picking the boys up from school this afternoon. It even stayed sitting on our pavers while I raced upstairs & got out the camera & took the pics .
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:09 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors
you only have to go to the oarklands,which are all around us to see many many colourful birds,it is majical like you say,but i ll be sure to keep lamington in mind,lots of places to see yet,we ve got all the time in the world,i dont plan on being any place else
Lamington is worth a peep because it's just so different from the lowlands. Because you're at altitude, you're in rainforest, even cool temperate rainforest at higher elevations. Much of the wildlife there is unique to the plateau and not found at the coast. It's also very scenic.

However, it is hugely popular and accommodation is often packed. Nevertheless, I was surprised at how quiet many of the walking tracks were.
Highlights for me when I was there included: Albert's Lyrebird, Regent Bowerbird, Wonga Pigeon, Paradise Riflebird and many other birds; two foot long lizards called Land Mullets; Pademelons (a type of forest wallaby) with joeys in the pouch; Whip-tailed Wallaby, and Common Ring-tailed Possum (far nicer than the Brush Tails), amongst many other things.