Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

A rose for a special little boy

A rose for a special little boy

Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:06 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A rose for a special little boy

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'm not sure if the above is intended to reflect a Christian perspective, but ...

... when Jesus heard of the death of his friend Lazarus he didn't say anything along the lines of the sentiments expressed above. Instead, he wept. And if you believe that Jesus is the best and final revelation of who God is, then if Jesus wept, then you should believe that God weeps too at things like this. God does not cause heartbreak - He shares it.

To the OP, you've had some good advice from St George's girl. Unless you've experienced something similar there's not a great deal you'll be able to say to the parents. But listen to them, pray for them (if you believe in prayer) and be open to their needs (sometimes unspoken).
That's exactly what I was trying to say JAJ. My dear little nephew went to a church school because it was the local school to where my sister lived, but she held no particular religious beliefs. When my nephew passed away, the vicar came to the house and offered to take prayers with my sister and all the family, but at that time my sister declined, it's not what she or her husband wanted. Instead, the vicar said he and the church congregation will pray for us all and he sent a lovely letter which meant more to us all than any prayer. The same vicar took the funeral service and, because he had been to the house on a number of occasions after my nephews death and talked to us all, he was able to make it more personal, which meant everything to us.

Listen, let the parents talk if that's what they want and need to do, don't avoid mentioning their childs name. Invite the parents out or to your home. Talk to them about funeral arrangements, offer your assistance. Be guided by their reactions.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:31 pm
Just wanna be there

paul and Lynz will become famous soon enoughpaul and Lynz will become famous soon enough

I think a Star would be a lovely idea
My thoughts and prayers are with the little boys parents and family
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all your kind words.

The funeral is being held in Mudgeeraba tomorrow afternoon and is going to be huge.

Rhys's dad is a police dog handler and Rhys loved the dogs to bits so tomorrow after the service there will be a line of police cars with there lights flashing (he hated the siren but loved the lights) followed by the hearse and then police dogs and their handlers from as far away as the Sunshine Coast and Toowomba will walk behind the hearse.

The music will be 'You are my sunshine' and songs from the Wiggles and every one will wear something purple as it was his favorite colour.

It is going to be the most emotional event of my life and I know I will not be able to hold it together.

If you can...take a moment at 2.30 tomorrow and say a prayer.

Thank you all

I will print out this thread eventually and maybe one day will show it to the family.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I've got no advice, I just didn't want to click out of this thread without acknowleging this tragic news. To the family of this special little boy my heartfelt sympathies and I shall take a moment tomorrow to share in your grief.
S xx
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

This thread has touched me so much. I lost my first little boy. He was stillborn. I can't imagine how awful it must be for your friends. Their grief must be unreal. The funeral you describe sounds lovely and very appropriate. For me my little boys funeral was very important as it was the last thing I felt I could do for him.

The star is a lovely idea. I might buy one for my little boy as I can't go and visit his grave any more, now we are in Oz.

I will be thinking of you all tomorrow.

If your friends do eventually read this thread I would like them to know how sorry I am for their loss. Their little boy sounds like a very special person.

Katie
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BandS
Thank you for all your kind words.

The funeral is being held in Mudgeeraba tomorrow afternoon and is going to be huge.

Rhys's dad is a police dog handler and Rhys loved the dogs to bits so tomorrow after the service there will be a line of police cars with there lights flashing (he hated the siren but loved the lights) followed by the hearse and then police dogs and their handlers from as far away as the Sunshine Coast and Toowomba will walk behind the hearse.

The music will be 'You are my sunshine' and songs from the Wiggles and every one will wear something purple as it was his favorite colour.

It is going to be the most emotional event of my life and I know I will not be able to hold it together.

If you can...take a moment at 2.30 tomorrow and say a prayer.

Thank you all

I will print out this thread eventually and maybe one day will show it to the family.
will be thinking for you all tomorrow. & will say a prayer from NZ & sing the Wiggles to as its one of the kids favourites
the other night after i read your thread & was outside with my daughter (4) who looked up & stars, which she loves. 'Look at the stars mummy, aren't they pretty' -- well i just cried cos all i could think of was Rhys & his family.
once again deepest symapthies to the family
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by poppets
will be thinking for you all tomorrow. & will say a prayer from NZ & sing the Wiggles to as its one of the kids favourites
the other night after i read your thread & was outside with my daughter (4) who looked up & stars, which she loves. 'Look at the stars mummy, aren't they pretty' -- well i just cried cos all i could think of was Rhys & his family.
once again deepest symapthies to the family
How very, very sad.
To lose a child must be devastating..........and nothing any of us can say will make things easier for you or the family.
Just sending loving thoughts.............
Old Apr 26th 2007, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Well the funeral was amazing. Firstly all his school friends sang "you are my sunshine" and then on big screens and to the sounds of the wiggles, pictures and video of Rhys's life filled the church.

There were over 250 people there, even the Police Commisioner and his wife attended. After the service a lone piper played whilst the hearse moved down the drive, flanked by police and family.

Afterwards about 20 of us went back to the parents house and celebrated Rhys's life.

6 of us got together and have had a star named for him. It is in the Dolado Constallation and will forever be called ' Ryhs Algie, Eternal Ray of Sunshine'

The certificate ,maps and documentation arrived today and we will be giving it to his parents next weekend.

Sharon
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:49 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BandS
Well the funeral was amazing. Firstly all his school friends sang "you are my sunshine" and then on big screens and to the sounds of the wiggles, pictures and video of Rhys's life filled the church.

There were over 250 people there, even the Police Commisioner and his wife attended. After the service a lone piper played whilst the hearse moved down the drive, flanked by police and family.

Afterwards about 20 of us went back to the parents house and celebrated Rhys's life.

6 of us got together and have had a star named for him. It is in the Dolado Constallation and will forever be called ' Ryhs Algie, Eternal Ray of Sunshine'

The certificate ,maps and documentation arrived today and we will be giving it to his parents next weekend.

Sharon
Sounds like a moving tribute to a special little boy who seems to have touched so many.

Hope his parents can get some comfort from his star.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I hope his parents got some comfort from all the love shown for their son, and them, at his funeral. I'm glad it went well.

Katie
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:12 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Just sending thoughts to you all......very sad. The star was a wonderful idea.
E x